Canadian BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I was in high school I bought a 1984 BJ60 with SOA 37" Tires and lots of other off road upgrades. I had no clue about what the truck was capable of and never really used it other then a daily driver and towing people (including 2 tow trucks) out of the snow and mud.

I sold it recently just after I got married and it had 498000kms and it was running strong but the frame was rotting out.

After having a fast car and now having a slow boring family car I haven't had any of the joy that I had with my Cruiser. I have recently hunted down and purchased a 1982 BJ42 with 350000kms and LOTS of rust (Best thing is that the frame is COMPLETELY solid!).

I'm an auto body technician so the rust doesn't bother me. I'm slowly taking it apart and brain storming what I'd like to do with it. It has a 5 speed and power steering stock so that was a nice little gift haha. I want to redo the body and powder coat the frame for starters. I also want to do SOA and use the power steering system (along with tilt column) from a 60 series as well as the axle housings from a 60 for 3inch wider stance AND flip my springs for 8inch longer stance.

It's lots of work but I was hoping that people could give me their opinions and I'll see where it takes me! Hopefully this time around I'll use it to at least SOME of its potential. Thanks ahead of time.
Land Cruiser.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:
5 speed and power steering, doesn't get any better than that. Add Turbo to your 3B and you'll be set.

Welcome.

i have done most of the conversions that you are talking about except the 60 axles.. i just used the 40 series ... i flipped the front springs and punched out the main leaf on an iron worker to keep the military rap in the fix mount.. I went with the 4x4 labs high steer arms 6 stud.. along with six shooter knuckles from trail gear..
as for flipping the rear springs, all i did was go with 60 springs in the rear... which moved the axle back like 4 inches... i also used ruff stuff perches that have 3 holes in the perch which allows you to move the axle forward an inch or back an inch from center...

and yes alot of work and many friday nights working on the 40 (2 and almost a half years) but soon to be on the road... well worth the effort...

Lots of potential there, post more pictures when you get a chance..DIESEL...gota love it...you realize this addiction is worse than crack don't you...

I realized the addiction after I bought my BJ60 when I never enjoyed trucks haha. Now it's just about all I think about. I've already got the color picked out, I think I'm getting slightly ahead of myself.

Yes its a 24volt.

image-3496409972.jpg

image-1678207079.jpg

Those are side views to give an idea of the rust (it's in my "winter workshop"). I have more pictures on my computer.
image-3496409972.jpg
image-1678207079.jpg

I've started some smaller work and sand blasted my grill. The bottom is just about none existent so I have a piece ready to weld in with "Land Cruiser" laser cut into it.

I was going to upload some photos but I've already reached my limit apparently.

Keep this thread handy if you need a motivation boost. I sold my '81 BJ42 to a fellow Cascade Cruisers member and he has turned it into a thing of beauty.

fair warning! the early shots are from within the forum software, so you'll need to register to see the first few posts worth of pics. we get a ton of spam account registrations so it might take a day or two to get you approved.

BJ42 build - and pictures for Esh

Wow. What a build! I'm going it a bit of a different direction but I think the amount of work will be the same, I hope I can stick to it like he has.

I took the roof off and found lots more rust when I flipped the windshield over. I'll be pushing it in the barn next weekend and starting some SOA stuff. Whenever I get that stuff done I can send the frame out for sandblasting and powder coat for $400!

IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg

You better put the roll bar back on if you are pushing it into the barn that is behind it.

Nice find by the way.

The roll bar was rusted off haha the barn will only fall on the one side... I hope

Yup. Have you had some unfriendly encounters with manitobans? The slogan just changed to something else if that's why you're asking haha

Shadow, if you're looking for or need help Simon in Winnipeg would be a great place to ask for advice. He pretty much knows everything about Land Cruisers. If you want I'll give you his number.

Funny thing is I bought both my cruisers from him. And you're right, he does know everything about Land Cruisers, it's nuts. Thanks!!

Was this the one from behind his garage? Because I knew he had a diesel back there and asked about a swap but never really went anywhere

That's the one. Its been sitting there for 3ish years. Every time I went for parts it was there and he never really wanted to get rid of it. FINALLY he did.

So, I haven't welded it on but this is what will take place of the two small vents on the bottom of the grill. They rusted away so I thought I'd be a bit creative.

Grill Cut.jpg

I'll post the pictures of the grill next week when I weld it together.
Grill Cut.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom