The COVID Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need a haircut bad but not this bad :rofl:

good to see some things opening up; hopeful it is not detrimental to public health
hair.jpg
hair2.png

That's not too bad. They were well over 3 hour waits around here on Monday. I just found a little independent place an was done in 20 minutes with minimal exposure to anyone.

That's not too bad. They were well over 3 hour waits around here on Monday. I just found a little independent place an was done in 20 minutes with minimal exposure to anyone.

Hmmm, I just texted my hairdresser the other day and got an appointment for this morning. Worth a little extra, and it feels good to have a fresh cut after a long while!

Haircuts. I have clippers I can bring to Troy next weekend. I can do a fade with ONSC trimmed into the back.

Got my check on Saturday. So did my parents.

As of yesterday afternoon, we're officially over 100k people dead in the US alone from this disease.

Studies are coming out showing that if had taken pandemic precautions just a week earlier, ONE WEEK, as many as 36,000 lives could have been saved.

Sad news about the 100,000 lost, no doubt. I often wonder how many lives could have been saved if governors like Cuomo had not forced COVID patients out of hospitals and into nursing homes? I think we all know what demographic makes up the largest percentage of that 100K...elderly...especially elderly in nursing homes.

Last edited:
A desperate measure for sure, but only for lack of hospital capacity. I disagree with that policy as well, but you've got to ask, which is better; risking infecting more people, or guaranteeing the death of those already in critical condition because there aren't enough hospital beds to treat them? I don't know, but clearly those policy makers thought the risk was tolerable.

Comparing that measure in a few states to failing to act sooner as a country is comparing apples to oranges in terms of impact in my opinion. Acting sooner would have prevented policies like that from existing in the first place, because the infection rates would have been much lower overall, meaning there would be much less of a constraint on hospital capacity.

A desperate measure for sure, but only for lack of hospital capacity. I disagree with that policy as well, but you've got to ask, which is better; risking infecting more people, or guaranteeing the death of those already in critical condition because there aren't enough hospital beds to treat them? I don't know, but clearly those policy makers thought the risk was tolerable.

Comparing that measure in a few states to failing to act sooner as a country is comparing apples to oranges in terms of impact in my opinion. Acting sooner would have prevented policies like that from existing in the first place, because the infection rates would have been much lower overall, meaning there would be much less of a constraint on hospital capacity.

Perhaps you are right, but if we are going to speculate about what could have been done better, let's start here, the pivotal point where it mattered the most:

Can't refute the numbers. There are ~350k deaths worldwide based on what we know. There are ~100k of those (nearly a third) in our country. As a country, we could have done better, especially considering that we're entering a new spike now as things reopen.

I'm not trying to start a political discussion, I just want to post factual updates, as I find that to be a more positive way of dealing with all of this than pointing fingers.

Can't refute the numbers. There are ~350k deaths worldwide based on what we know. There are ~100k of those (nearly a third) in our country. As a country, we could have done better, especially considering that we're entering a new spike now as things reopen.

I'm not trying to start a political discussion, I just want to post factual updates, as I find that to be a more positive way of dealing with all of this than pointing fingers.
But Johnny, your "factual update" included a politically charged article from the Washington Post that essentially casts blame on our current administration for the deaths of 36,000 American people...and on top of that, it is wholly based on conjecture.

:lol: I love that's what you took away from that. Read past the opinion man. My intent in posting that was to show a study showing the importance of acting early in a pandemic situation, something our current administration didn't do.

EDIT: Yeah, this next part was more political, so I removed it.

Last edited:
:lol: I love that's what you took away from that. Read past the opinion man. My intent in posting that was to show a study showing the importance of acting early in a pandemic situation, something our current administration didn't do.

EDIT: Yeah, this next part was more political, so I removed it.

Johnny, I appreciate the factual updates. Please keep that up.

..but when you talk about "something our current administration didn't do." and "just a week earlier, ONE WEEK, as many as 36,000 lives could have been saved." those are political.
Looking back with 20/20 it's easy to say we should have shut the whole country down a week earlier but I still don't think it made sense nationally at the time. NY and Wyoming needed different timing and policies but I agree we'll be able to look back and see things we could have done differently.

I also agree this thread is much better and more positive with facts and information not politics.

As I wrote "something our administration didn't do" I intended it as a factual statement, because it is. I did not intend it to be a political commentary. It's just shocking how many lives could have been saved if this referenced study is at all close to accurate.

I see your point though. When you are politically minded everything can be interpreted in a political way. Guess I'll go back to posting links and keeping my trap shut!

:lol:

I don't think Johnny is being political at all with saying " just a week earlier, ONE WEEK, as many as 36,000 lives could have been saved" if that is a fact based off the numbers in a study then that is a fact and will only be made political by people. He didn't take a swipe at anyone just echoed what that article said based on its data.

Now an article can be biased and sadly as people want to see everything twisted into one side of the line or the other on every single issue, it will happen more often.

Again stating if we had closed earlier would save lives isn't political at all. Its just what the data points to.

Yeah, but it’s easy to look back on things after you have a better understanding and more information. How many of us have looked back and said..”I knew I should have bought XYZ stock” after we saw what it did later?

If decision makers honestly made the best decision they could with the information they had at the time, that’s the most you can hope for. Let’s be realistic though...China wasn’t exactly helping by providing real-time accurate info.

I won’t dispute that 100K+ have died, but I would question the legitimacy of all of them dying of COVID. We’ve already seen fakes numbers in multiple places. I’m skeptical as soon as a incentive (funding $$$) is tied to numbers of reported cases from agencies or organizations. I’ve seen too much of the same thing abused across multiple continents throughout my professional career.

I don't think Johnny is being political at all with saying " just a week earlier, ONE WEEK, as many as 36,000 lives could have been saved" if that is a fact based off the numbers in a study then that is a fact and will only be made political by people. He didn't take a swipe at anyone just echoed what that article said based on its data.

Now an article can be biased and sadly as people want to see everything twisted into one side of the line or the other on every single issue, it will happen more often.

Again stating if we had closed earlier would save lives isn't political at all. Its just what the data points to.

Al, so I'm clear I wasn't accusing Johnny of taking swipes. Only that some things he said could be interpreted to be political and I know he's trying not to be in this thread. I'd like to have that conversation with a few friends from here around a campfire but it's not the same online.

Articles can be biased and sadly so can statistics. Your point about everything being twisted and it will happen more often is very true and what I'm trying to avoid.
If we had closed a month earlier less people would have died. That's a fact too but ignores that there were many other factors that had to be considered as we formed a response to a pandemic.

One of my biggest frustrations through this it that I don't think I'll ever really trust the numbers. From China's bad numbers (sorry that might be political) to the stories we all heard about unrelated deaths being classified as COVID-19 (and revised sometimes) I don't think we'll ever know exactly.

Good news is that I do think we'll understand the virus a lot more, I'm not sure there's a time the world has focused so much research at one time on something like this..

I won’t dispute that 100K+ have died, but I would question the legitimacy of all of them dying of COVID.

There have been articles I've posted in this thread that suggest covid deaths are actually underreported in this country. There are increases (sometimes large) in the death rates in all regions of the country that are not accounted for by covid confirmed deaths.

It's healthy to be skeptical. That being said, if you give a 10% margin of error for the total death count, that's still between 90k and 110k. I mean s***, take it to the extreme and assume we only have 50k deaths. If that were the case, we'd still be the global leader by over 10k!

Its just nuts to think about the scale.

Yeah, but it’s easy to look back on things after you have a better understanding and more information. How many of us have looked back and said..”I knew I should have bought XYZ stock” after we saw what it did later?

If decision makers honestly made the best decision they could with the information they had at the time, that’s the most you can hope for. Let’s be realistic though...China wasn’t exactly helping by providing real-time accurate info.

I won’t dispute that 100K+ have died, but I would question the legitimacy of all of them dying of COVID. We’ve already seen fakes numbers in multiple places. I’m skeptical as soon as a incentive (funding $$$) is tied to numbers of reported cases from agencies or organizations. I’ve seen too much of the same thing abused across multiple continents throughout my professional career.

Completely agree with that, while saying if we had closed earlier it would have saved more lives is accurate it is also accurate to say hindsight is 20/20. Still because of how unorganized, as a nation, we were compared to many other countries I only hope this spurs our leaders to put policy, safeguards, and taskforces in place to help guard against future issues like this.

China bares a lot of the blame for issues the world has had, from lying, denying, suppressing info, etc....

Al, so I'm clear I wasn't accusing Johnny of taking swipes. Only that some things he said could be interpreted to be political and I know he's trying not to be in this thread. I'd like to have that conversation with a few friends from here around a campfire but it's not the same online.

Articles can be biased and sadly so can statistics. Your point about everything being twisted and it will happen more often is very true and what I'm trying to avoid.
If we had closed a month earlier less people would have died. That's a fact too but ignores that there were many other factors that had to be considered as we formed a response to a pandemic.

One of my biggest frustrations through this it that I don't think I'll ever really trust the numbers. From China's bad numbers (sorry that might be political) to the stories we all heard about unrelated deaths being classified as COVID-19 (and revised sometimes) I don't think we'll ever know exactly.

Good news is that I do think we'll understand the virus a lot more, I'm not sure there's a time the world has focused so much research at one time on something like this..

No doubt, and no I don't think the China comment is political I think its a pretty well known issue with China and its lying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom