The Coleman Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to replace all my caps with the vent hole on the side to the new style that has the 4 vents in the cap threads. Just for safety. I do have some gaskets for the 3 piece caps, but they don't seem like it fits like the original.

COVID has made them pretty much unobtainable...
These work very well also.

You might have to start buying used lanterns/stoves to find the caps you desire...Be careful!

I want to replace all my caps with the vent hole on the side to the new style that has the 4 vents in the cap threads. Just for safety. I do have some gaskets for the 3 piece caps, but they don't seem like it fits like the original.

COVID has made them pretty much unobtainable...
I love the older caps, easily serviceable and they just plain work. One is no safer than the other as you dont take the cap off with open flames present anyways. I get cap gaskets by the dozen from OCP.

523 caps can be a bugger as they seal with lead. I successfully melted some soft solder in one and got it working again.

I have been able to find any part for my Coleman stoves/lanterns on this website:

I have been able to find any part for my Coleman stoves/lanterns on this website:

Cool...

I checked there a week ago and there was none in stock. I just ordered 5 caps.

One trick to replacing gaskets on the 1-piece fuel caps is to cut the old one into 4 pieces along the vents in the threads, and then each piece is easier to pull out without damaging anything. I like the Xacto blades that look like a chisel for this. Then, with the new gasket ready to go on, put some light oil on the inside of the new gasket and find a socket that just fits into the cap without touching the threads. Put some blocks of wood into your vice, and then crank it all together using the vice jaws to force the socket onto the gasket and into the cap.

This works well, and doesn't ruin the gasket forcing it over the flange in the cap. Coleman meant for 1-piece caps to be disposable, but the gaskets last about 30yrs. Basnetts are the same ones I use and fit perfectly,

413 putting in work in Big Bend. Also got to use the oven my dad got me for christmas. Biscuits came out great.

QHgftN3.jpg

R8ilOfh.jpg
were you there last week? we were over in Southern NM at Carlsbad and had 60mph+ winds! Love the pics, hangin' in the Chisos!

were you there last week? we were over in Southern NM at Carlsbad and had 60mph+ winds! Love the pics, hangin' in the Chisos!
We were there the week of the 8th. Late that week the wind got really bad. We had a pretty nasty sand/dust storm the 13th that blocked out our view of the Chisos from our campsite that evening. I

I figured. that was a helluva wind.

Recently tried to get my 1973 220E and a 1977 220F up and running again. After watching a few YouTube vids, ordering some parts and failing to resurrect either, I discovered that Coleman will do repair work on Lanterns dating back to 1927 for a $55 fee. I shipped both out yesterday. 4-6 weeks turn-around according to Coleman. One more thing I can check off my list before SAS#5.

Coleman Lantern and Stove Repair Page

Recently tried to get my 1973 220E and a 1977 220F up and running again. After watching a few YouTube vids, ordering some parts and failing to resurrect either, I discovered that Coleman will do repair work on Lanterns dating back to 1927 for a $55 fee. I shipped both out yesterday. 4-6 weeks turn-around according to Coleman. One more thing I can check off my list before SAS#5.

Coleman Lantern and Stove Repair Page
One of the biggest things sometimes that gets overlooked is the air inlet tube. When lanterns get shelved for a long time, spiders, dirt dobbers and other vermin love to make homes in this tube. It can be a pain to clean out, especially if the burner heads aren't removeable. Without a good supply of fresh air, the fuel vapor doesn't like to burn very well.

Maybe when I retire I will go to work for Coleman in the repair shop. That would be a really neat job!

If you ever get to Wichita a trip to the Coleman outlet store is well worth the effort.

Cool...

I checked there a week ago and there was none in stock. I just ordered 5 caps.

It appears mike at OCP looked for a month and finally canceled my order because there was no caps anywhere to send.

I guess for whatever reason, Coleman can not fulfill some orders for parts. I guess COVID has finally hit the Coleman world.

Picked this up for $50 this weekend - based on Ebay it was a More than Fair Price.
1977 - Appears only Middle burner was used 1X.

Gave it a once over, and will be using it Memorial Day in MI, when I take our 3 & 5 yr olds Canoeing
Someday it will be Theirs.

Refurbing them each a Lantern and Have them tore Apart and Tanks were Powder Coated Black.
I will post up some pics when they are done and hopefully they run. I also have intentions of making them Cases.

IMG_3046.jpg

Last edited:
Can a Coleman Granpuba Identify this model?
I call it the Megan Markel

F9918F5E-2F1F-4571-A242-3599107D9095.jpeg

^^^
I’m no expert but my 1st thought would be a model 220, 2nd thought would be a model 200. Is the date stamped on the bottom?

That looks to be a Franken-lantern. The globe is 200 sized (202?), the Ventilator is from an early 220, and the burner frame appears to be installed backwards (*air tube at the front). Plus, it seems to have a 220 fount, and a later 1-piece fuel cap, which seems like whoever put it together had a bunch of parts on the bench and started tinkering.

It doesn't look BAD, it just doesn't look at all original - if that matters to anyone. More pics might help, esp. inside the burner cage, as it may just be a 202 top on a big fount bottom.

That looks to be a Franken-lantern. The globe is 200 sized (202?), the Ventilator is from an early 220, and the burner frame appears to be installed backwards (*air tube at the front). Plus, it seems to have a 220 fount, and a later 1-piece fuel cap, which seems like whoever put it together had a bunch of parts on the bench and started tinkering.

It doesn't look BAD, it just doesn't look at all original - if that matters to anyone. More pics might help, esp. inside the burner cage, as it may just be a 202 top on a big fount bottom.
Your Sharp...It’s a total Mix. My Friend has a 300 pc + Coleman Collection and he thru it together. He made the Wire Handle Custom. Kind of stuff retired Machinist do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom