The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hope it’s ok to ask a question about new Coleman gear. I plan to get a Coleman propane lantern and trying to decide between one of their traditional 2-mantle lanterns or one of the newer Northstar mantles that appear to be a larger single-mantle design.

Any any other differences besides the Northstar appears to put out 50% more light (1500 vs 1000)???

Hope it’s ok to ask a question about new Coleman gear. I plan to get a Coleman propane lantern and trying to decide between one of their traditional 2-mantle lanterns or one of the newer Northstar mantles that appear to be a larger single-mantle design.

Any any other differences besides the Northstar appears to put out 50% more light (1500 vs 1000)???
I have one of each. A basic 2 mantle propane and the Northstar. I prefer the Northstar because it is more compact. While it is brighter, I think both of the lanterns are too bright. Sometimes the Northstar starts howling like a banshee when I turn it way down, never have that problem with the basic 2 mantle.

On a side note - I did not like the white gas growing up, probably because my old man didn't have the patience for it. I rescued his old lantern last week, a 'dual fuel' unit. And thanks to this thread... I might have just purchased two 200A's and a 443 stove to resurrect. Oops. :rolleyes:

Hey all, I am going to look at a Coleman 228F lantern from 1967 today. Any tips on certain things to look for when buying it? Looks lightly used and not rusty from the few pics I have seen. Thanks for any help!

Nothing special to look for. It's all about condition. The original glass would be red letter Coleman Made in USA. Other than that condition of the vent, etc. Good runner guaranteed to come back. Let me know if it's 6/67 that's my bday. Maybe do a trade.

Nothing special to look for. It's all about condition. The original glass would be red letter Coleman Made in USA. Other than that condition of the vent, etc. Good runner guaranteed to come back. Let me know if it's 6/67 that's my bday. Maybe do a trade.
Picked it up for $35. Pump builds pressure and the valve seems to work well. I’ll post pics shortly. I think the glass lettering is red... but I’m color blind so it could be green. Hahaha.
Build date is 4/67. Close!

48568913636_83d0a22c85_z.jpg

48569060562_73d63e4ebe_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of each. A basic 2 mantle propane and the Northstar. I prefer the Northstar because it is more compact. While it is brighter, I think both of the lanterns are too bright. Sometimes the Northstar starts howling like a banshee when I turn it way down, never have that problem with the basic 2 mantle.

On a side note - I did not like the white gas growing up, probably because my old man didn't have the patience for it. I rescued his old lantern last week, a 'dual fuel' unit. And thanks to this thread... I might have just purchased two 200A's and a 443 stove to resurrect. Oops. :rolleyes:
I concur on the banshee sound in the propane version; I've always wondered if the fuel version does too but probably not. I've never had the fuel version.

hey guys does your expertise in lanterns and stoves carry over into fire pans? with all the wildfires over the last decade or so, NFS and BLM lands are getting more restrictive about ground fires even in fall/winter. I've read a little about fire pans for 4x4 and river rafting, but do any of you guys have any preferences? I've seen the NRS one, also there are a couple on Amazon.

This thread is coleman specific. If coleman didn't make a fire pan (don't think they did) then try asking in another thread.

This thread is coleman specific. If coleman didn't make a fire pan (don't think they did) then try asking in another thread.
gotcha bud thanks I will.

I picked up a 6/64 200A today. It's my first lantern and I plan to tear it down for a thourough cleaning and rebuild.But I need to finish my 8274 first.

349gScu.jpg

oaO0juU.jpg

Just kidding.

oq8JjmW.jpg

pIuxUws.jpg

cwbxR2R.jpg

I have no idea what I am doing, but I followed the directions on the Old Coleman Parts website and didn't really have any problems. I did not replace the check valve. I could hear it clicking after I let it soak in PB blaster and then purged it several times with brake cleaner, so I assumed it was good to go. The vent was in decent shape and didn't need much cleaning. The fount got scrubbed with simple green and a tooth brush, then CLR and a blue scotchbrite, then two rounds of polish, meguiars M7, then wax. The M7 made the biggest difference in bringing luster back into the old paint. The CLR and scotchbrite removed all the paint overspray on the globe and fount plus some surface rust. I cleaned the frame as best I could with brass brushes and then sprayed it with rust converter. I installed a new generator, cap gasket, valve nut and packing, and soaked the pump leather overnight. Now I'm waiting on some 2C-HG mantles I ordered on ebay.

This thing is awesome. Light is very yellowish though. Is it supposed to be more white?

eBGxZLK.jpg

I also snagged this 413G earlier this week. Needs a pump, cap gasket, and a good cleaning for starters. Paint is pretty rough on the fuel tank. Does anyone know a rattlecan match?

bxKoCBM.jpg

vgYhjL9.jpg

5NcHpHS.jpg

Saw this in La Jolla California #vanlife
7751FB7A-4601-48BD-9F66-E181B1C5181D.jpeg

I’m local if anyone is interested. Pm for phone number

Cooked up some chicken on the new 426d and Lodge griddle!
View attachment 2051240
Also picked up another 426d and a 426c for $20 total but they are rough! I almost walked away but the guy said he just wanted them gone: “how about $20 for both?” Here is the 426d full of rat nest wool:
View attachment 2051241

D is dated 0 or O of 68, October? The C I can’t find a date on.

These will be a winter project but the D might be a loss. It’s rusty! Time to start looking into electrolysis.
I saw one of these at a second hand store the other day, still in it's box. Tank wasn't red, it was brown. I only had a minute or two to fiddle around with it but it's in really good shape. What is a reasonable price for it? Anyone want me to pick it up?

:hmm:

Been busy and hadn’t had much time to post but I’ve picked up a few more lanterns in the past few weeks. I’ll start off with a pair of 237’s I bought from the same guy for $10 each. They were rough but turned out well. I started the cleanup at 7:30 one morning and had the both finished by 12:30.

2FA1719E-CE26-4416-93C6-D0DC1C85D62B.jpeg

512D5540-84F7-4B24-B1C2-37C0FE465449.jpeg

This might have just became my new favorite. A Canadian model 335 with a 1-80 build date. Bright as all get out and roars like a jet.

DFACA0AC-0B3F-4302-86F5-2E35A894A3B1.jpeg

8E430902-D620-4C82-8EB9-7A55E8F25FD2.jpeg

866D9673-3E30-4B89-A615-E03FD5420B4A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom