The Coleman Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info. Was considering painting it but didn’t know how it would hold up to direct heat.

You can even paint the burner bowl
and cap with the VHT header paint (no primer) and it holds up surprisingly well.

Cooked up some chicken on the new 426d and Lodge griddle!
CE1B0999-82BF-48DF-826E-393F21F5E560.jpeg

Also picked up another 426d and a 426c for $20 total but they are rough! I almost walked away but the guy said he just wanted them gone: “how about $20 for both?” Here is the 426d full of rat nest wool:
9FFFD3C6-D186-4FFD-A6FE-C7AC48E371DC.jpeg

D is dated 0 or O of 68, October? The C I can’t find a date on.

These will be a winter project but the D might be a loss. It’s rusty! Time to start looking into electrolysis.

Last edited:
Cooked up some chicken on the new 426d and Lodge griddle!
View attachment 2051240
Also picked up another 426d and a 426c for $20 total but they are rough! I almost walked away but the guy said he just wanted them gone: “how about $20 for both?” Here is the 426d full of rat nest wool:
View attachment 2051241

D is dated 0 or O of 68, October? The C I can’t find a date on.

These will be a winter project but the D might be a loss. It’s rusty! Time to start looking into electrolysis.
I have severe Chef Tray Jealousy going on right now...

Here's another one that looks like it could be had cheap and cleaned up. What do yall think?

Will sell individually, wonder if he will ship? Looks to be about $20+ shipping.

anybody know about these stoves? something to pick up or give it a pass?

Pass. The Coleman ones used a proprietary canister that is NLA. Don't know about this one. Coleman and other liquid fueled appliances are so frickin' cool why do anything else?

Pass. The Coleman ones used a proprietary canister that is NLA. Don't know about this one. Coleman and other liquid fueled appliances are so frickin' cool why do anything else?
thanks Prairie Swamp, I was thinking it'd use the same canisters as these little guys which I love.
Image result for coleman silver stove

any of you boys come across one of these? I guess that some consider it the Holy Grail of Coleman Stoves. Aluminum apparently. Bit beyond the normal garage sale budget.

Might be opening up a big can of worms here. But what do you guys use to carry around your lanterns, stoves large and small etc?
For the smallest Coleman 2-burners like the 425 I've found stuff at the goodwill, old computer cases and the like, but the larger 413s and especially the 426s have stymied me. You can find something long enough, but at only 14 inches wide most things that fit the length are WAY TOO WIDE. Very occasionally, you come across the original stove carry bags from Coleman on Ebay or other auction sites for ridiculous prices. Likewise, on the single burner stoves, hard to find good carry cases. For the lanterns, I'm leaving out both the super cheap red and black and green plastic cases you can still buy at Wal-mart, as well as the super expensive original steel "guillotine" cases which can go on Fleabay for nearly a hundy just on their own. So do all you guys have wives and mothers that are awesome at sewing canvas or what?
I have found two possible sources for this type of stuff stuff so let me know what you think.
First, Camp Chef makes big and pretty well-made bags for their stoves, just hunting for the right sizes: Carry Bags and Covers - Stove Accessories
Second, I've found a vendor on Fleabay in China that makes bags for a variety of stoves and lanterns for cheap, even with shipping from over there. I ordered one a few months back and quality seems high, just like what you'd get at REI or better. Delivery just takes a month: Items for sale by gksk2146-3 | eBay

Well I can sew canvas. It's not really hard. Get the cheap painters drop cloths at Harbor Freight and go to town. Slap on some velcro and there you go. But I have a tool box in the bed of my truck. I've always just wrapped the appliances on old bath towels and packed stuff in pretty tight around them. I would like to make some nice wood cases some day just not anywhere on the priority list.

I do have a couple of the metal clamshell lantern cases but really I think the lanterns just bang around in there and get scratched up. I like my solution of wrapping them in towels and surrounding them with soft stuff. And then you have old towels with you for wiping up water or fuel spills or whatever.

I've just added another Coleman to my collection. This one being a Northstar 2000, built 2/02.
Northstar.jpg

It had been run on unleaded petrol all its life by the look of it, and was not running well at all. After cleaning it up and replacing the generator, it is running much better but the light is still very yellow when compared with my other lanterns.

Comparison.jpg

They are all using the same brand of mantle

Mantles.jpg

With the exception of the 214, which obviously runs on kerosene, they are all using the same fuel, from the same batch.

The Northstar is putting out heaps of light with no pulsing and working like it is supposed to. I am assuming the pressure is what it should be as the lantern is roaring/sounding like it should, and increasing pressure from 50 to 100 strokes of the pump makes no difference to the light output or the sound. The light output is just not as 'white' as I would expect.

Do any of you guys have any brilliant suggestions, or is this just how a Northstar is, or this particular one at least, and that's that?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Scotty

I've never seen a Northstar run. But it's supposed to be 500 candlepower versus the others at 300 candlepower. So to me it isn't putting out full light.

Yellow light generally means it's not running full power. So if you have good pressure and a good generator...just guessing there is a problem down in the font. Possibly gunked up from crap fuel? Just guessing. You may have to get into the fuel delivery system.

It seems to be running so nicely with its new generator that I was hoping not to have to strip the font down to clean it, but on reflection I suspect that you may be right.

Bugger!!

I've just added another Coleman to my collection. This one being a Northstar 2000, built 2/02.
View attachment 2060235

It had been run on unleaded petrol all its life by the look of it, and was not running well at all. After cleaning it up and replacing the generator, it is running much better but the light is still very yellow when compared with my other lanterns.

View attachment 2060238

They are all using the same brand of mantle

View attachment 2060241

With the exception of the 214, which obviously runs on kerosene, they are all using the same fuel, from the same batch.

The Northstar is putting out heaps of light with no pulsing and working like it is supposed to. I am assuming the pressure is what it should be as the lantern is roaring/sounding like it should, and increasing pressure from 50 to 100 strokes of the pump makes no difference to the light output or the sound. The light output is just not as 'white' as I would expect.

Do any of you guys have any brilliant suggestions, or is this just how a Northstar is, or this particular one at least, and that's that?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Scotty
I’ve been wanting to see one of those in person...nice find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom