Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might want to consider the interior build now. Knowing the plan will make current wiring work easier. And be certain you have everything where you want it and don’t have to redo it later. You also might be able to incorporate a second battery and “panel box” into the interior build.

View attachment 1849606

I hear ya. I have a good idea of the layout I want (just need to draw it out in Sketchup) and I know the materials and construction to be used. I want it to be fairly lightweight.

Time is the big issue since I would like to get this drivable before May when I leave for Korea so I can have it stored on the government's dime.

For the fuel tanks I used the stock 80 tank and found that a tank from a shorty 70 fit perfect where the spare tire normally would be on the 80 from. I've almost acquired all the factory sub tank parts to plumb it all up correctly but for now the main tank is fine.

I have a diesel in mine. The injection pump is the lift pump. I have the factory switching valve somewhere in a pile of parts. Its a vsv if I remember correctly. So just a matter of mounting/plumbing/wiring. Would be nice to have a transfer pump though.

With the gas engine in yours you'll have to got the transfer pump route. Nothing wrong with that. In the marine world every good boat with two tanks has a transfer pump.

On another note after reading your thread. If you go with the newer front end the ARB bumper thing is going to be a pain in the ass to procure. I've been trying to nab one for over a year. ARB has changed all its part numbers so I've been told by multiple online venders that they can't get it even though I've call ARB and they have them in stock in there Jacksonville warehouse.
Long story short. If you end up have a bumper build let me know. Its gotta be cheaper to build two at a time.

On another note after reading your thread. If you go with the newer front end the ARB bumper thing is going to be a pain in the ass to procure. I've been trying to nab one for over a year. ARB has changed all its part numbers so I've been told by multiple online venders that they can't get it even though I've call ARB and they have them in stock in there Jacksonville warehouse.
Long story short. If you end up have a bumper build let me know. Its gotta be cheaper to build two at a time.

Yeah I'm probably sticking with the old front. The previously sourced one got sold out from under me. So unless a good deal pops up, it's staying old school. Plus, the old front has grown on me. :D

That said, I'll probably go custom front and rear. Something simple. I'll let you know what route I go.

It's Feb 1... any updates? =)

Cool build, and thanks for your service sir.

Nothing yet, still waiting for a boat. Some minor issues exporting with the Troopy being an ex-NGO rig but they should be resolved.

I'm stateside from my deployment (actually in Baltimore now waiting on my flight back to SLC) and will head up to ID in a few to start prepping the 80 with Ian.

That said, I have a few other more important/pressing life-things on my mind besides Land Cruisers at the moment so I'll try to update as I can.

And thank you. :D

Our friends over at @Delta VS are coming by tomorrow to grab the 80. They will have it a few weeks, they want the engine & trans in it.

Cheers

Oh ya, we are finally ready to export the Troopy to the USA!

The problem was the truck was ex-ngo so it had diplomatic plates all it’s life and then it had no plates for a number of years as well.

It is sorted and we are ready to send it up here.

:)

Cheers

Ready to go...

gZbXIQA.jpg

xhRukXF.jpg

Tony - Do you know where you plan to have the body work done?

We're going to have the body blasted and figure out what it needs from there. So, not totally sure yet. Rough metal work Ian and I (when I can make it up there) can handle. Hopefully the body exterior isn't too bad and we can just do some basic blocking and get it epoxy primed. But since it was an ex-NGO rig, I'm sure it'll have some surprises.

The interior and underside will probably get Lizard Skin sound and thermal barrier. Aside from the parts where you'll see/feel, possibly just keep those primed. Interior will get dynamat. It'll be the quietest Troopy possible. Body, I'm leaning on towards Line-X the entire thing.

I am looking to do a similar build, but I want nice crisp Toyota white which means I will need to find a good body shop in the SLC area.

The rear floor cross member has cancer. We bought new body parts for this from Toyota. A lot of spot welds to drill to replace but it will be a fun job.

We will find some junk, no doubt. Best to do it right while blasted in my opinion. Then it will be good for decades.

Cheers

It was between them and JW Speaker and the JWs look like a bug eye so Truck-Lite it is.

I bought the Rigid heated version, and hate to say it, light output and color plain sucks. Sure, it's an upgrade but after using Morimoto D2S's on the 80, the Rigid is like a cheap blue LED flashlight. Eventually, I'll be throwing these on the 42 and replacing them with any headlight with proper CRI - looks be damned. YMMV.

I got the Rigid heated version, and hate to say it, light output and color plain sucks. Sure, it's an upgrade but after using Morimoto D2S's on the 80, the Rigid is like a cheap blue LED flashlight. Eventually, I'll be throwing these on the 42 and replacing them with any headlight in proper CRI - looks be damned. YMMV.

Good to know.
I ended up with the Truck-Lites via the black Friday deal. Unless I can get a deal on an '07+ nose, I'll run them for now.

There's a guy in Ontario is selling a whole front set-up off a 2013 HZJ79 with the fancy hood scoop.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom