The 60 series Rubithon thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The kit from Power tank that Esh posted has it all. That looks like a good comprehensive kit that has sewing wire (sidewall gashes), patches and plugs. Maybe I can hint that for a fathers day gift instead of piecing one together. I do carry around starting fluid (for my tires not my diesel) and a lighter for reseating the bead. I too have tire irons I can bring incase you don't find yours Esh.

Clint, I like the driveline storage idea on top of the slider legs. If it's going to stay there for a while I'd say wrap up the ends with something so you don't have to scrape mud out of the joints and flanges.

Sounds like we are going to have a good turnout.

I'm in! But it will be the 55 and not the 60... looking forward to wheel'n with you all!

pic added for effect :D (its an old one though)
View attachment 311167

that pig is bada$$. can't wait to see it in person!!

The kit from Power tank that Esh posted has it all. That looks like a good comprehensive kit that has sewing wire (sidewall gashes), patches and plugs. Maybe I can hint that for a fathers day gift instead of piecing one together. I do carry around starting fluid (for my tires not my diesel) and a lighter for reseating the bead. I too have tire irons I can bring incase you don't find yours Esh.

Clint, I like the driveline storage idea on top of the slider legs. If it's going to stay there for a while I'd say wrap up the ends with something so you don't have to scrape mud out of the joints and flanges.

Sounds like we are going to have a good turnout.

that is a good looking kit. however not sure if I wil be getting anything extra this year for fathers day as this trip is my "gift"

I am sure some glad garbage bags will help with some protection for the shafts.

Clint

once I get my parts sorted out I will list what I have. :wrench::wrench::wrench:

ditto.

hey bring your junk over on sat and we will take inventory.

Clint

All this discussion of what parts to bring is nice, but don't forget the basics. if you have a non-standard truck with say a Mercury Marine motor, make sure you have the belts and hoses needed since no one else will have them. That and a good spare tire. I could bore you about the time the Rubithon Chairman, Tony Twiddy himself, brought 3 spare tires to Death Valley. All 3 were bad, I'm not kidding.:rolleyes:

A truck in a good state of tune with maintenance up to snuf and all fasteners checked before launch, will likely not break down at all. The further you are from stock, the more likely you will break. Don't invest a ton of time worrying about it.

Maybe if all the Portland guys bring a full set of axle spares and driveshaft spares between you, you'll do fine.

Good DS (and axle? not sure if the FF shaft would fit) storage container is an old metal ammo tube. You could do it with PVC but it is easier to break over a well placed boulder. I would say go to Sgt Gators in Damascus, but they are long gone.

I have a rear bumper from an old RV in my steel scrap pile that would be perfect for DS storage (or fishing poles or ??). Its light gauge steel and has a hinged door on one end. Its probably 5x5 square.

Wish I was going.

Im not gonna worry though I have AAA.

Does AAA have a helicopter? (actually, Pighead did see the 4X4 towtruck coming down Cadillac last year...looked capable.)

Pighead usually carries a pair of driveshafts, strapped to the floor where the rear seat used to be. But his rear DS got a new home last year, with Marcus, on the Rubithon. This year he'll only have a spare front DS. and 4 axles, 2 mini-knuckles, a third (but it's a 4.1:1), couple sets of spider gears & side gears for if your lok-right quits. 50 lbs of nuts&bolts&washers&studs&small parts in tupperware bins. Spare 2F waterpump, Saginaw cannedham PS pump, Trail-spare '69 dizzy with the pertronix, brakes lines, sparkplug wires, fanbelts. Baling wire too. and thread-lock, RTV and anti-sieze. Just 'cause it's a trail-side fix doesn't mean you can't do it right.
Pighead's registration hit the USPS on Friday, yesterday. Talked to CruiserDrew about interning as committee this Wagonrun. It'll be my 4th Rubithon in a row. Only my second in the Pig.

P.S. DtRain, good to see another Pig on the Wagonrun. Show these new-fangled wagons that old-school still makes it.

P.S. DtRain, good to see another Pig on the Wagonrun. Show these new-fangled wagons that old-school still makes it.

If a 60's new fangled, does that mean I need to get the wiped out CJ3 running to be old school? Or do I need a horse?

Few more things to check out on the 'new fangled' 60 before I send in the dough. I'm afraid if I pulled the bait and switch and said in the registration that I'd bring a 60 then showed up with an XJ, you'd lynch me, then burn me in the XJ when it catches itself on fire. (only in a jeep :rolleyes:)

If a 60's new fangled, does that mean I need to get the wiped out CJ3 running to be old school? Or do I need a horse?QUOTE]

:D

that is funny.

don't think your 60 is up for the task?

Clint

Finally got my TLCA number so registration for Rubithon is now in the mail.

Finally got my TLCA number so registration for Rubithon is now in the mail.

jeebus aren't you like a TLCA rep or something?

did you sign up for the double locker run with us?

Clint

Clint

I know, it's rediculous and it's been about a year but at least I finally got it.

I signed up for the andy pollock wagon run starting weds @ 8am, I thought that was the conscensous?

Originally Posted by Dirtgypsy

Clint
I know, it's rediculous and it's been about a year but at least I finally got it.

I signed up for the andy pollock wagon run starting weds @ 8am, I thought that was the conscensous?

Clint goes SOA and he thinks he's a double locker run guy now:rolleyes:

I think he is joking. Signed up for the wagon run as well dude!

If I can do it, anyone can do it! Bonus is you have Mudrak along, and usually a decent welder or two. Drawback is you might end up camping along the road in interesting places and waiting until 1 or 2am in Old Sluice for some welding to get done..

It's looking like I'm out for this. Time and money are not cooperating, and the call of the expedition is stronger.

dude it's because of the SOA AND the front ARB duh bro.

Yes I signed up for Andy's run :cheers:

If I can do it, anyone can do it! Bonus is you have Mudrak along, and usually a decent welder or two. Drawback is you might end up camping along the road in interesting places and waiting until 1 or 2am in Old Sluice for some welding to get done..

It's looking like I'm out for this. Time and money are not cooperating, and the call of the expedition is stronger.

bummer you won't be able to make it. I will save a spot at McGrew for you!

Clint

Eh, it's a tossup right now. Would help if the new tie rod that was supposed to show up today didn't SHIP today. :bang:

Well, that and I'm trying to get my hands on a 55 gallon drum of POR-15.

uh 55 gals of por-15???

what's this for?

Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom