The 60 series Rubithon thread! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah and my wife was driving when that event took place:rolleyes:
Which truck were you in?

Green 80 series.

I assume you are talking Golden Spike? If not, that's two.:D

Yep the spike-Guess this is you.
DSC_0184.jpg
[/IMG]

kewl pic

Do I need rear full floater axle spares for this trip?

Clint

They are kind of uncommon. I've seen a bunch of the 40 series FF break on the Rubicon. There are not that many 60s at Rubithon, and of the ones there, your's will likely be the only FF.

The problem is often at the interface with the hub. I would recommend spare shafts if you can find them, and a spare hub or failing that, spare hardware-pins, studs, cone washers and nuts. They would fall under the category of nice to have but not 100% required.

kewl pic

Clint

I just posted some in the for sale section ;) and I live on your way to Rubicon! I think I may even have spare hubs and hardware. I'd definitely look into some ARP studs for the full float. I've often considered cryoing the shafts I have but never got around to it.

-David

kewl pic

Clint

That depends on if you drive behind Port and follow his example.

But it is definitely something more rare and will bum you out if you break one without a spare. I think you are looking at about a 10% chance of breaking one. Just depends on how much you give into peer pressure on lines and obstacles.

They are kind of uncommon. I've seen a bunch of the 40 series FF break on the Rubicon. There are not that many 60s at Rubithon, and of the ones there, your's will likely be the only FF.

The problem is often at the interface with the hub. I would recommend spare shafts if you can find them, and a spare hub or failing that, spare hardware-pins, studs, cone washers and nuts. They would fall under the category of nice to have but not 100% required.

portfj62 has FF rear axle on his rig. so we would likely be sharing the parts if one of us broke. good idea on the parts. I was considering all new hardware with the spring over anyways I suppose the stock parts would make good spares.

I just posted some in the for sale section ;) and I live on your way to Rubicon! I think I may even have spare hubs and hardware. I'd definitely look into some ARP studs for the full float. I've often considered cryoing the shafts I have but never got around to it.

-David

Yeah I saw your ad and that is why I asked because it seems to me to be a decent price especially if I split the cost between Matt and I. ARP studs would be a nice touch. Any ideas on size or part #'s?? Are the cone washers and hardware the same for the steering knuckles/ hubs?

That depends on if you drive behind Port and follow his example.

But it is definitely something more rare and will bum you out if you break one without a spare. I think you are looking at about a 10% chance of breaking one. Just depends on how much you give into peer pressure on lines and obstacles.

No peer pressure here. Just want to finish the trail and enjoy the ride. Besides I am not sure how much Michelle will be driving on this trip :p

Thanks guys!

Clint

PETT for the toilet and WAAG bags. Light, works perfect. It's also part of the tech inspection-each truck needs one on board.

Phillips Environmental PETT Portable Environmental Toilet at REI.com

I've seen them at Cabelas a bit cheaper

5 gallons is plenty-1 gal per person per day is a good amount to consider. I usually buy drinking water in the 1 gallon clear bottles and stash them around the truck. That's easier than a huge 5 gallon water can.

thanks for the link. I found you can just pick up the WAG bags and a small portable at Cabelas for about 1/3 of the cost and takes up 1/3 the space!

thanks,

Clint

i517641sn01.jpg

picked this up at Cabelas this weekend with the wag bags. looks nice and is compact.

I also picked up spare FF shafts as well.

Now down to the actual build.

Diffs and lockers first and then SOA starting in 2 weeks! :bounce:

Clint

picked this up at Cabelas this weekend with the wag bags. looks nice and is compact.

You should just cut a hole in your trucks seat and shove a trash bag down in there. Spare your shorts while driving the trail.

Tech-Are the side rails worth installing? OR are they overkill?

At 244:1 in my 4runner, I seriously doubt a Cruiser will be slower. :D

as anyone who got caught behind me on CA88 headed to (or home from) the FJ-45 run last year could attest to, I think I've got you beat in the slow department. Come on out to Cali, but I ain't racing for pinks. :p

I'd love to do this run some day, and it's in my backyard, but with the 60 on jackstands right now, the magic 8 ball says "you're f***ing kidding, right?" :bang:

Any protection like side rails or sliders are not a overkill. I would add protection where you can before the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortFJ62
Tech-Are the side rails worth installing? OR are they overkill?
Side rails? You mean the sliders? Very important.
I was just talking about the rails that run from the front bumper to the sliders.

Registration is now open. There are several choices for the run preference and I just wanted to get on the same page for which run to sign up for. Sounds like from previous discussion we want choice # 3 - Weds 8AM at Loon Lake (Andy Pollock Wagon Run). I'm planning on sending in my application this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom