Thank you ARB USA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I've had a rear air locker for about 4 years. It has blown oil up the air line since day 1. Holds air no problem (for hours without cycling the compressor). Went back and forth a couple of times with the shop that did the install and they certainly stood behind it and did their best to figure out the problem but no luck. This hasn't been a big deal. Mostly I've been leaving the air line disconnected from the air solenoid and blowing it out and reconnecting it before trips.

Finally I figured that since I'm in Seattle I'd call ARB and see what they said. I asked them if they'd consider looking at it (they aren't a repair shop but I knew from previous visits to pick up OME products that they have a technical department). I talked to Nils in tech about the problem and he said to bring it by.

I just got back from spending a couple of very interesting hours (at least for me) at ARB. Nils spotted a problem immediately. I had an old style air seal unit which makes routing the copper tube harder. The tension on the tube wasn't allowing proper the air seal to float properly.

He replaced it with a new style unit (including the new style square o-rings), checked other internals and surfaces to make sure they were still OK, and then started routing the copper tube and checking everything. He noticed that as the pinion was turned back and forth the new seal was rotating properly but was getting "jacked" up (not staying in alignment with the housing). After consulting with a couple of other guys in tech they were pretty sure that this was the source of my problem - the movement was unseating the o-rings.

The main cause of the movement was an old style c-clip that retains the air seal. It had rounded off instead of square ends. They replaced that with a new style c-clip and that mostly solved the problem. However there was still a small bit of movement that they didn't like. They thought that it would probably be OK but wanted to address it if possible. The ended up routing the copper line under the diff, by the pinion and out the housing. This applied reverse tension to the seal and removed most of the remaining movement. At that point they were happy. They bench tested the unit and called it good.

And needless to say I was very happy. They let me watch the whole thing, answered all my questions, and gave me an extrodinarily high level of technical support. Plus they called the whole thing warranty due to the c-clip issue! If you have any issues with ARB or OME products I highly recommend that you talk to these guys, they really know their stuff. Even if you're not local they'll talk to shops or individuals that are having problems with a product to figure out a solution.

Thank you ARB USA!

Thanks for the post. It is good to know that ARB stands behind their stuff....wonder how they would feel about banging out the PO character dents in my rear bumper:frown:??

WOW! that's awesome service!! Who/how did you get in touch with them? I'm local to them, would be good to write down for when i eventually can afford one! :lol:

I just called them (they even have a toll free number on their website) and explained the problem. From my description over the phone Nils was pretty confident that he would be able to locate the problem quickly. He did say that if the problem required tearing the 3rd member down he might not be able to do it from a liability perspective. But if it required it and his boss signed off he had plenty of experience with Toyota 3rd members and would be happy to do it :D

They also commented that my 4.56 gears had a good setup and a nice even pattern. I had no reason to doubt the gears but it's always nice to hear something like that.

One other positive thing that I forgot to mention - they basically used the session as staff education. It seemed like everyone in the tech department came by at some point and was brought up to speed on what the issues were and what was being done to address it. That's good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom