Removing rear c clip axle that also has an ARB locker question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
I tagged This question on to an old thread but did not get a response, so here is a separate thread.

’86 fj60 driver side (US Left rear) rear axle with semi float C Clip axle shaft that also has an ARB locker.

Need to remove the d/s rear axle, (US Left rear) does the fact that it has an ARB Locker make having access to & removing the C Clip more difficult? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
No, you only need to remove cross shaft ,spider block and thrust block.
There is a threaded pin behind a button head screw which needs to be removed first.
Then you can take out all above named parts.
Move the axle towards the center to reveal the c clip.
That's all there is to it.

Thank you @sved. That’s what I was hoping to read.

Need to replace the brake backing plate and the axle must come out first.

Just make sure your pinion trust washers sit correct when reinstalling the cross shaft.
Can also be a pain when installing the long drive shaft back into the diff when working alone.

Unless I’m missing something, I won’t need to remove the drive shaft in order to remove the brake backing plate.

A) drain the oil
B) remove the diff back cover
C) remove the C Clip as described in your post 2
D) then remove the brake backing plate

At least this is my understanding right now. Thoughts??

Well , i understand your confusion. I should have called it axle shaft.

I agree… the long side can be more of a pain than the short side.👍

I'm doing this same job on mine with an old ARB locker. I got the cross pin out, but the block won't fall out. It seems to catch on the black cross bit on the top and bottom of the access hole. What am I doing wrong?

IMG_6188.jpeg

@LCMoneyPit I’m not sure from your description, but is this the part you are trying to remove? If so, try a strong magnet.

IMG_9540.png

yes, that's the part I'm trying to get out. It seems to catch on that black bar I circled. There is one of those black bars across the top and bottom of the access port.

Playing with this some more, the black bar going across the bottom of the opening and top seems to be plastic. I used a magnet to pull out on the block and it's definitely hitting those black plastic pieces. Does anyone know if those plastic pieces should even be there?

Edit: so I found a diagram for a RD08 locker and the part the spider block is catching on is the legs of the piston. Should I just get something through the spider block and just pull really hard and try to force it past the piston legs?

Last edited:
You would think it would be the reverse of installing.
Wonder how they did that.🤔
Insert with force...

I guess that’s what the PO did. Must have pushed really hard to get it in. None of the videos and write ups I can find mention anything about this issue though. I guess I’ll try to find some way to pull really hard on it.

I guess that’s what the PO did. Must have pushed really hard to get it in. None of the videos and write ups I can find mention anything about this issue though. I guess I’ll try to find some way to pull really hard on it.
Dumb question, I haven't had one of these lockers in my hand... is there a similar opening 180 degrees from the one you are unable to remove the block from that may have a slightly larger opening?

No, there's just the one opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom