Temp Gauge creeping when idling and AC warming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The weather in Texas is solidly around 105 in the afternoons right now. When my truck is idling, the AC starts to blow warm and the engine temperature starts creeping up. Coolant is just a little bit below the full line and when I’m driving, the AC blows cold all the time. Any recommendations?
1C45364F-8AA4-4F7F-BA74-10C333DDDAA8.jpeg

I'd be careful with it, the OEM temp gauge is notoriously vague and if it's showing hot and shutting the AC off, you can already be over 220*. I'd do a full coolant system check - radiator, coolant, thermostat, water pump.

My first check is debris between radiator and condenser. It shows itself by restricting air flow idling more than moving. But that dude is hot for the needle to be that high.

check fan clutch as well.

Ran into this same issue on my 2001 LX today while idling waiting on an accident to clear, can yall elaborate on how to check the fan clutch? I killed the AC myself when I saw it creeping and that stopped it, but don't want to get in that situation again.

Thanks very much. Any articles on here that would help me assess the fan clutch?

Try to spin the fan by hand, it should have a lot of resistance and you can barely get it to rotate one full rotation. If it's rotating too easily then it's gone bad.

The fan spins somewhat freely when cold and bit harder when hot. If you are replacing the fan clutch, stick to AISIN or OEM. Any other brand will Roar at all times and so annoying to your ears at all times.

If you have done nothing to the cooling system is just replace everything minus the radiator unless the tank is starting to discolor.
Get a new fan clutch (Aisin or OE) thermostat and backflush the cooling system you can also drain the block (drain cock on both sides).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom