Talk me out of a 4Runner TRD Pro (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted to add a little bit of color. I owned a 2020 army green trd pro. I loved it except for the engine which was so frustrating. We have all talked about how underwhelming and under powered it is. It is so true. It actually hurt my leg to drive it every day because it is so under powered.

They are amazing trucks but no comparison to the Land Cruiser. That is my opinion of course. Don’t get me wrong they last forever they’re well-built incredible quality very rugged extremely capable unbelievable resale value. That Being sad it will never be a Land Cruiser.

You may have buyers remorse like I did. After I sold my army green TRD pro I bought a 2021 Land Cruiser and could not be happier. It is my forever car and consider myself lucky to own one.
I just wanted to give you some background on my experience. Good luck with your decision

Eric

I have both.
I like both.
Are there shortcomings that they both have, yes.

The 4Runner would be sublime with more power and a smoother engine. A 4Runner with the 5.7 would be awesome. Where it also lacks is the interior appointments. The cushioning on the armrests could be improved and it should either be offered with the seats from the Limited trim as an option of cloth seats as an option regardless of trim. Softex seats are convenient but they do get hot after a while IMO.
Headlights on the 4Runner have been improved with the 2020 models and beyond so that is no longer an issue.
4Runner has lots of trickle down tech from the LC 200 like crawl control and MTS, in TRD PRO trim it does look good.
Think of the current 5th GEN 4Runner as the modern day 80 series and it'll make more sense.

The LC 200 is without a doubt an improvement in every regard above and beyond the 4Runner. Better interior appointments, more power, very good headlights and it has all the tech the 4Runner doesn't have.
The armrests have thin cushioning and the center armrest should be real leather with ample cushioning. Door cards should be leather as well and the entire seat, not just the seating surface. Toyota definitely found ways to save money but the build quality, capability and durability are lightyears ahead of the competition.

Where the LC could have been improved IMO is Toyota should have offered a similar trim level to the TRD PRO in LC trim instead of the Heritage trim.
Change the facia, add the TOYOTA bar, add a nice aftermarket suspension with a mild lift and offer those BBS forged wheels in a more concave design with an offset similar to the RW wheels and bump the power up to 400hp.
Give us a truly modern 80 series look similar to what they are now doing with the 300 series facia.

Toyota could offer some of those trim items you mention like the pro without even designing new parts. They have a 200 series lift in the middle east through TRD, They have bumpers in Australia as well as a lot of other stuff they do not bring in here. I would love to see a lower trim level hit our shores. A poverty pack if you will.

I wanted to add a little bit of color. I owned a 2020 army green trd pro. I loved it except for the engine which was so frustrating. We have all talked about how underwhelming and under powered it is. It is so true. It actually hurt my leg to drive it every day because it is so under powered.

They are amazing trucks but no comparison to the Land Cruiser. That is my opinion of course. Don’t get me wrong they last forever they’re well-built incredible quality very rugged extremely capable unbelievable resale value. That Being sad it will never be a Land Cruiser.

You may have buyers remorse like I did. After I sold my army green TRD pro I bought a 2021 Land Cruiser and could not be happier. It is my forever car and consider myself lucky to own one.
I just wanted to give you some background on my experience. Good luck with your decision

Eric
Thanks for sharing Eric. Makes me think twice if the 4R would be a wise choice.

Others have made these points, but let me be a bit less diplomatic: it is insulting to us Toyota enthusiasts that Toyota sells the 5th gen T4R. It is something vastly beyond insulting that they charge $50k for them. These are first cars for 16 year old girls, not serious trucks for enthusiasts.

Cons:
- Ancient motor with no grunt, no fuel economy, nothing really. You'd be better off cutting a hole in the floor and kicking your feet.
- The Worst Transmission (TM)
- The Worst Interior (TM)
- No Exterior Visibility Whatsoever (TM). Close your eyes and drive by scent.
- Costs $50k when given its ancient parts and all round s***tyness, it should maybe be $24k.
- Absolutely terrible suspension for the turd pro markup
- needs to be regeared before you'll be able to summit your driveway lip
- the very idea that a dealer would mark these up is a devastating indictment of the ignorance of American consumers

Pros:
- Teenagers who live in their mom's basements will tell you on an Internet forum that they're REhablabutlllll.
- Sweet badgets bruh.
- At least it's not a Taco.

As also stated elsewhere, if you really must, at least get the one with KDSS.

Seeing 4Runners Tacomas n Tundras Pros around and they just don’t do it for me. The LC is in its own league. At least for me that is.

power, comfort, towing, full time 4wheel drive and that sexy beast look. Love it.

Others have made these points, but let me be a bit less diplomatic: it is insulting to us Toyota enthusiasts that Toyota sells the 5th gen T4R. It is something vastly beyond insulting that they charge $50k for them. These are first cars for 16 year old girls, not serious trucks for enthusiasts.

Cons:
- Ancient motor with no grunt, no fuel economy, nothing really. You'd be better off cutting a hole in the floor and kicking your feet.
- Costs $50k when given its ancient parts and all round s***tyness, it should maybe be $24k.
- the very idea that a dealer would mark these up is a devastating indictment of the ignorance of American consumers

Pros:
- Teenagers who live in their mom's basements will tell you on an Internet forum that they're REhablabutlllll.
- Sweet badgets bruh.

Wow, that's a harsh assessment!

I had a TRD Trail Edition with an ICON Stage 5 suspension. It was extremely capable and great looking rig. I really enjoyed it.
However, having come from a 100 Series and 80 Series before it, there is no comparison when it comes to build quality. The differences in the drive train is an area that several have mentioned. Just open and close the hood or shut the door of the 4Runner and you will notice that it is made with thinner sheet metal. It is evident that Toyota builds the LC to a completely higher level of quality. In fact, when I visited the Toyota factory, the assembly line that Toyota showed off was the line on which Land Cruisers and Lexuses were built.
While the 4Runner will shine on the trail, the 4Runner is simply not as solidly built as the Land Cruiser.

The GX was covered a bit earlier but I'll offer my experience. This is dated but I drove a 4R when I bought my GX. At least at that time the power difference was significant, but what mostly stuck out was how bad the transmission tuning in the 4R was. I'm a big proponent that a transmission is as critical as engine in the "power"/driveability equation. The 4R transmission flat out sucked. I ruled it out 5 min into the test drive, and I had not even looked at the GX yet. Hopefully it has gotten better.

If you like the styling get the 4R. If you want something smaller than the LC but closer in power and appointments get a GX.

The GX was covered a bit earlier but I'll offer my experience. This is dated but I drove a 4R when I bought my GX. At least at that time the power difference was significant, but what mostly stuck out was how bad the transmission tuning in the 4R was. I'm a big proponent that a transmission is as critical as engine in the "power"/driveability equation. The 4R transmission flat out sucked. I ruled it out 5 min into the test drive, and I had not even looked at the GX yet. Hopefully it has gotten better.

If you like the styling get the 4R. If you want something smaller than the LC but closer in power and appointments get a GX.
Don't forget the GX has full time and kdss too.

Cons:

Pros:
- Sweet badgets bruh.

Truth right here. I'll just add they seem to be the preferred transport of choice for housewives/soccer moms here in Colorado. My kids school parking lot is a sea of 4Runners...

Cons:

Pros:
- Sweet badgets bruh.

So, 4runner won’t be your next car? You are just so non-committal…hard for me to decide if you like 4runner or not. :)

So, 4runner won’t be your next car? You are just so non-committal…hard for me to decide if you like 4runner or not. :)
I'm really on the fence. My current 4Runner is faster, more efficient, has better dimensions Offroad, and has the same payload as the 5th gen. But man, the ability to see out of its windows just feels way too safe sometimes.

@WesSiler brought up a great point on the pricing of the 4Runner. I believe it is a huge profit maker for toyota, and this partly explains why they will never offer a “poverty pack” cruiser here.

And a UAE-market “lift” isn’t necessarily a suspension that performs any better off-road, let alone how well a suspension even better than what the TuRD PRO comes with.

You are looking at a car with less towing, less capability, a worse ride, and much less comfort.

go for it if you can’t live without it - but I thought I would never sell my T4R, but here I am
stepping into a five year older LX.
Haha that's my sentiment as well. Just got out of my 2019 TRD Pro. For what it costs it needs way more power and creature comforts. Great looking truck and capable for sure but after that it's all down hill.

I checked out the 4R Limited before purchasing the LX. Can't remember the model year, 2017?

I recall the 4R interior was incredibly cheap, plain, and nasty. Couldn't stand to pay $40k+ for a vehicle with an interior like that; my old 1991 Integra had a better interior IMHO.

I personally would not buy a 4runner TRD pro unless I planned on keeping the truck stock with the exception of maybe tires. The only things that makes the TRD pro unique over the TRD off-road is the suspension and the wheels so if you’re just going to buy it and immediately swap out for king shocks and a set of method wheels or something then you essentially just wasted $7000 for the badge

So how do you guys really feel about the 4R? :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom