Synthetic Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, why did Jim have to post the link to bobistheoilguy.com. Being a slightly obsesive guy, I have spent about 6 hours on that board, and there is a ton of information, including oil analysis feedback.

Based on the information I have seen there, I will add a few more comments/suggestions.

1) Mobil 1 tends to be blended on the thin side of the weight scale. So their 10w-30 tends to be closer to a 10w-20, and the 0w-40 with a cst @ 100 of 14.3 is on the borderline of a 30w oil. Given that I would feel entirely comfortable running the 0w-40 in all climates and not be worried about it being to thick.

2) Mobil 1 formulas vary depending on the contentent they are from. The sole exception to this is the 0w-40 which is a worlwide oil.

3) Castrol is now importing Syntec 0w-30 from Germany to the US and Canada. Unlike the Syntec which has been sold in the past in the US, this is not a Class III crude refined but a top grade Class IV PAO/Class V Ester stock oil. In addition this oil runs thick for a 0w-30 with a cst at 100 of 12.1 (compare that to the mobil 1 30w with a cst of 10.0). The talk on the lists is that this may be the best 30weight oil available in the US. BE AWARE THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK CAREFULLY TO GET THE CORRECT FORMULA OF THIS. The proper syntec (as opposed to the garbage) will be 0w-30 with a red lable and on the back will say "Made in Germany." &nbsp:Do not buy any other syntec besides this.

4) Amsoil is regarded as anything from snake oil to pretty good. Most of the oil lab testing doesn't show it to be anything spetacular; and

5) For those of you looking for heavier than Mobil 1 0w40 (which you shouldn't need), the new Redline 5w-40 with a cst of 15.1 at 100, looks to be very promissing according to the initial tests. This oil is made (to the best of my knowledge) from only Class V ester based stocks which are generally considered the best.

All of that said, the reason that most of the guys on the bobistheoilguy forum do oil testing (besides seeing how well is performs) is to see at what point the oil starts breaking down and should be changed. For the synthetics, it appears between 7500 and 15,000 miles is the proper interval. Factors that influence this are 1) oil capacity, the more the engine holds the futher between oil changes, 2) driving conditions, 3) quality of the oil, and 4) the condition of the engine.

There is also an interesting consensus concerning oil weight on that board, and it is essentially that as a motor gets older and starts to burn oil, it is okay to go to a heavier weight even though the manufacture may not recommend it.

Finally, on an off topic note, for those of you with late model Toyota cars (98-00) with the 4 cylinder or V-6 motor, be very careful. These motors apparently suffer from what is called black death, a buildup of sludge due to the gear drives breaking down the oil. If you have one of these cars it is recommended that you change mineral oil every 2500-3000 miles or synthetic every 5,000.

As for me, I have 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 waiting to go into the LC on Saturday. I am probably going to go to 7500 mile oil change intervals given that the oil should easily last until 10,000. I have considered running the Redline 5w-40 since 1) Redline is a local company and I can get it for $6.49/quart, and 2) I would only need one type of oil since my wife's BMW can use it (I can supposedly use the Mobil 0w-40 but I get concerned since it is on the thin side for 40w). I'm not using the Redline because I bought the Mobil already.

Cary

Slightly obsessive 8) ?
SLIGHTLY obsessive :eek: ?
Cary, you're the kind of OCD that I really appreciate doing (and sharing) research like this.

thanks!

LT

Finally, on an off topic note, for those of you with late model Toyota cars (98-00) with the 4 cylinder or V-6 motor, be very careful.  These motors apparently suffer from what is called black death, a buildup of sludge due to the gear drives breaking down the oil.

BTDT, my leased Sienna produced tar-like substance at it's last oil change before I turned it in, yike! That was on cheapo oil. &nbsp:Dang, I just switched to Amsoil after over ten years of M1, now I've got to use up four gallons before I can switch back. Thought it was a step forward with longer intervals saving me $. If I can do 10k on M1 I'll switch back.

This thread is wicked way too long. Someone just figure out what oil I need to put in my beater and send me an email cause reading this whole thread is worse than a bad wedgie.

I am going with Mobil Delvac 5w40 Syn next change.
Cary, the Delvac web site is wery long and detailed, would you read and sum it up for me :D
kurt

1) Concerning Amsoil v. Mobil and general extended oil changes. The reason that I don't care for Amsoil is for exactly the reason listed above, their arguements that you can run the oil for 25,000 to 30,000 miles. There is no oil that should ever be run that long without doing a regular oil analysis every 5,000 miles to find out when the oil is wearing out. I feel comfortable with a 7500 mile change interval but would not go beyond that without analysis.

2) On the issue of the Toyota 4 cylinder and v-6 motors, the consensus is that these motors are so hard on oils in terms of shearing them and having sludge problems that he belief is that mineral oil should be changed every 2,500 miles and synthetic every 5,000 to prevent problems.

3) Concerning the Delvac 1 question. The Delvac 1 is considered a great oil. That said, the view is that for Gas engines that the Delvac has to many additives. The oil won't harm the motor, but other choices may be better. IF YOU HAVE A DIESEL this is the stuff to use. Also, a reaon to avoid Delvac 1 is that it isn't exactly easy to find. A reason I tend to shy away from botique oils.

4) I have forgotten to mention before that Royal Purple has not faired well in actual use, avoid it.

5) To the poster who just wants to know what to use, I will write up a FAQ for the soon to be FAQ.

Have to run, time to bbq the tri-tips

:D

Cary

IF YOU HAVE A DIESEL this is the stuff to use.
Not good enough for my B, I even phoned Mobil in Sydney and they were of no help.

Australian FZJ80R Oil

Engine
Petrol(1FZ-FE)
20W/50 -7 -> 38
15W/40 -12.5 -> 38
10W/30 -18 -> 38
5W/30 -29 -> 10
&nbsp:Diesel(1HZ 1HD-FT)
20W/50 -7 -> 38
15W/40 -12.5 -> 38
10W/30 -18 -> 38
5W/30 -29 -> 10
SAE40 10 -> 38
SAE30 4 -> 38
SAE20 -12.5 -> 16

Gearbox
Manual
GL-4 or GL-5 75W/90
Transfercase
GL-4 or GL-5 75W/90

Differential
Front
SAE90 Above -18
SAE80 Below -18
80W/90 Below -18
Rear
LS90

I see Amsoil has a 7500 mi oil. It says on the can/bottle 7500 mi oil change. I don't know if it is the same oil as their other oil.
7500 mi, that would be just right for me, but using Mobil not Amsoil. I do use Amsoil for the diffs as it was the only 80/90 syn I could find. I use M1 75/90 in my many t-cases :D
kurt

Possibly it has been "enhanced" by Honda, therefore the added "R." ::)

"R" denotes right hand drive.

Dan,

You spoiled my fantasy. :mad: Toyota doesn't offer a VTEC eh?

I was going to use a diesel syn oil to help clean up my "Pinnzoil" motor. When I pull motor parts, there is a brownish baked on finish that can be scraped off. I was thinking that with the additives, it would clean the motor. Maybe I don't want the motor too clean as it will start to use oil?????
kurt

I wanted to go with a 10W-40 M1 has a 0w-40 and Delvac is 5W-40. I don't want to be like a chevy 350 and smoke at startup from oil leaking past the valves. Would I be ok to go with 0W-40 in a high mi motor?
kurt

You shouldn't have any trouble with running the 0w-40 in a higher milage motor. Just keep an eye on the consumption, if you see high consumption or smoke on startup, then consider a heavier weight. &nbsp:Delvac 1 5w-40 is okay to run, although the ash content is slightly high since it is designed for diesel engines. You may also want to consider Redline 5w-40 or 10w-40 if you see an increase in consumption or valve guide blowby.

Its interesting that when looking at the Autrailian oil specs for the 80, that they approve 10w-30, 15w-40, and 20w-50 all to 100F, with just different low temperature restrictions. This in contrast to my wife's BMW 525i which says 10w-30 for temps below 40F, 15w-40 up to about 80F, and 20w-50 as hot as it gets. I think the 80 engine is probably fine with 10w-30 for all climates, but heavier oil (especially as they get older) will not hurt anything. I am running the M1 0w-40.

Cary

Cary, are there any neg effects of the ash in M1 Delvac on a gasoline engine. I switched to M1 Delvac (145K mi on the engine) to clean out the varnish, too, as LandToy80 mentions. I also put the M1 Delvac in my '01 honda (more for convenience since I had to buy two gallons for the rig already), but plan to switch to M1 0w40 once I can find a source w/ a good price. I know 10w30 won't do it in my honda (FSM specs 10w30 up to 95F, and the expected high today is 108F!)

Cary,

An interesting foot note to 15-40.

I just switched to 15-40 from 10-30 at my last oil change(111,000 miles) Since the change I have not noticed the "start-up rattle" that these engines seem to do a lot of.

At this point is hard to tell if the higher ash content would cause any problems. &nbsp:Delvac 1 is an SL rated oil (not that it means a whole lot). Are there better choices for a gas engine than Devlac 1, yes, probably!!! That said, from the info I have seen the Delvac 1 is better for gas motors than all the synthetics except for Mobil 1, Redline, and Amsoil (and probably the 0w-30 German Castrol Syntec).

I was always a valvoline fan, but after reading the oil analysis (actual testing of oil run in cars), I was suprised at how poor Valvoline performed compared to some other dino oils. On average the two best performing dino oils are 1) Chevron Supreme, and 2) Penzzoil Purbase. I had heard good things about Chevron oils before, but prior to this had never heard good things about Penzzoil. BTW, Chevron is available at Costco.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom