Synth @10K or conventional @ 5K? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since most people who run synthetic oil seem to go with changes every 10,000 km, and conventional at 5,000 km, assuming the filter is changed at the same time, which would you go with and why? (Pricewise it's about the same cost.)

Please note this question is aimed specifically at diesel engines.

5k regular, semi synthetic. The dirt is still there after 5, even if the oil has not broken down.

Conventional at 5,000 because of the soot buildup in the diesel. I think that extending the drain interval is a bad idea since the synthetic can't make the soot go away.
I'll agree that the synthetic is not "worn out" at even 10,000km but it is loaded with soot!

Since most people who run synthetic oil seem to go with changes every 10,000 km, and conventional at 5,000 km, assuming the filter is changed at the same time, which would you go with and why? (Pricewise it's about the same cost.)

Please note this question is aimed specifically at diesel engines.

As a general rule I have am comfortable and have adopted:

For Toyota LC IDI diesel engines dino at 5000kms.

For Toyota LC DI diesel engines synth at 10,000kms. Spin on a new filter on at 5000kms.

Reasons: My test results for 10,000kms runs on the synth in both 13BT's at this point indicate the oil is still good to go past 10,000kms (both in dirt and soot loading factors). That said I would not want to go much past this without some sort of bypass filter system.

I agree that soot loading in the 3B's would be a factor with extended drains imo...

Not having run an HZ for an extended time period I can not comment from experience. Perhaps the Ozzies can.

However, this is worth what you paid for it.

hth's

gb

so, with a 2H running synthetic oil, a filter change at 5000km (3000 miles) and a complete oil change at 10000km (6000 miles) is appropriate?

so, with a 2H running synthetic oil, a filter change at 5000km (3000 miles) and a complete oil change at 10000km (6000 miles) is appropriate?

Have the oil checked at set marks up to 10,000kms to see. The 2H is IDI.

I would add...

Whatever you decide, have the oil sampled to gain piece of mind, then run with the results.

hth's

gb

to me your oil is your life blood, i don't feel comfortable with more than 5000k on dino or semi, i don't run full syn so no comment...

As a general rule I have am comfortable and have adopted:

For Toyota LC IDI diesel engines dino at 5000kms.

For Toyota LC DI diesel engines synth at 10,000kms. Spin on a new filter on at 5000kms.

gb

Still using that 0-40 Esso XD-3 Greg?

For what it's worth I change my oil at an annual interval, since I will not likely chalk up 5 or 10K kms in a year where I live. I still think it is important to change for soot and acidity reasons.

I use full syn Esso XD-3 0-40 year round.

For Toyota LC DI diesel engines synth at 10,000kms. Spin on a new filter on at 5000kms.[\quote]

what filter brand recommended?

Donaldson P550008
high flow P169071

Purolator Premium Plus L30001
Purolator Pure One PL30001

Motorcraft FL-1A

Last edited:
Ill be running Amsoil heavy Duty Diesel oil (Full synthetic) in my 1HZ. I'll also be running an Amsoil bypass oil filter. With that I should be good to 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
I ran Exxon XD3 Extra 0-40 synthetic as Greg B has recommended, and my used oil analysis result was great. Filter I was using was NAPA Gold/WIX. The UOA takes into account the soot load, as Greg has mentioned, so that is a factor considered when extending intervals on full synthetic...not just "because". But do whatever you feel comfortable with.

On a side note...long time no see Tom. :)

Have the oil checked at set marks up to 10,000kms to see. The 2H is IDI.

I would add...

Whatever you decide, have the oil sampled to gain piece of mind, then run with the results.

hth's

gb

thanks.........my cruiser is about ready for it's 3000 mile oil change......and the first oil change with me as the owner........i like the 2H compared to my old 2F.......i'm still feeling the "new" cruiser out.......

Still using that 0-40 Esso XD-3 Greg?

I use full syn Esso XD-3 0-40 year round.

Yes, for the winter portion. My changes are averaging once in fall and once in spring. This spring I tried Amzoil 15/40, however I would have no issues running the Esso year round. I may in one truck this next year.

John: I would go Donaldson from those listed, but that is not from anything other then not being familure with the others. Fleetguard is good, and you should be able to get it up north with ease I would think?

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom