1HD-FT Synthetic Engine Oil Info (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
Alright... don't flame me too bad for these questions. I found lots of info on engine oil via search engines and this forum, yet I could not find an answer to my specific questions.

I'm trying to decide on a synthetic engine oil and viscosity for my 1HD-FT. I am a huge fan of Mobil 1 Synthetic, and would prefer to stay with that, unless there is substantial reason to the contrary. I've read here that JASO DH-1 spec oil is recommended, but I don't know the API equivalent of it. The Mobil Delvac Synthetic API shows CK-4, CJ-4, & CI-4 PLUS.

So, my questions are... Is Mobil 1 Delvac Synthetic Oil (like pictured below) recommended for the 1HD-FT? What is the recommended viscosity? (I live in Tennessee. Temps generally range from -10 F to 110 F.) Lastly, what is the oil and viscosity that Toyota recommends for those engines?

As far as filters go, I also run Mobil 1. I don't yet have a Mobil 1 filter number for the 1HD-FT. If anyone has that info, I would appreciate it. If the Toyota filter is a better recommendation, I would appreciate that part number also.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

This is what I found when I looked in the FSM about oil viscosity...

Screenshot_29-2-2024_19299_.jpeg

Okay... I just found this, that I missed before...

Screenshot_29-2-2024_193245_.jpeg

I would pretty much be in favor of 15w-40, but it does get down below zero here occasionally.

Trust the chart.

I use 15w40 because I store my Landcruisers in winter time. If I had to drive it in the winter, I would use 10w30 or 10W40.

I know some Canadian cruiserhead use 0w40. I wouldn’t.

I use regular oil and sometimes semi-synthetic if it in special at the time I need oil. I change the oil every 6-7000km.

Last edited:
Yeah, the FSM specifically said do NOT use 5w-30 above 32 degrees Farenheit on turbo-charged engines. We only have a few days out of the year where the temperatures might dip below zero. I'm thinking 15w-40 might be good for my area, but 10w-30 might be optimal here, I don't know.

I searched the FSM several times, and I could not find a Toyota part number for the oil filter.

When I saw that first one, I thought... "what the crap?" 😂

I've used Shell Rotella 15W-40 for the last year in Utah, and I have no complaints. We don't get below 0 much. Though I do have other cars I could drive if it was so cold that I was worried about it. Seems like 10W-40 would be a good year-round compromise.

As far as filters, I only use OEM. I've heard horror stories on other forums about cheap or aftermarket filters. Toyota P/N 90915300028T

Have you bought anything from Partsouq yet? It's a great resource if you own an import. Put your VIN/Frame number in here and it'll bring up all the charts, part numbers and options to buy for your car.

This is what my "home page" looks like for my '97 HDJ81:

And this for example is what the 1HDFT oil filter and cooler sub assembly diagram looks like:

I really appreciate the information. I haven’t bought anything from PartSouq, but I’ve heard a lot of people on here mention them. As soon as I get a chance, I’ll put my VIN in and check it out.

Yeah, I think 10w-40 would be a good compromise, if it’s readily available. If not, I’ll just go with the 15w-40. I know the Mobil 1. filters are really good, but I would probably prefer OEM in this situation.

When I had my HDJ81 (1990) with 1HDT, I used regular 10W30 or 15W40 in Canadian summers and 5W40 Synthetic in winter. The Synthetic oil made a big difference in cold weather starting. The engine ran smooth with both oils and didn't burn a drop..

10W40 for year-round use in your climate.

Pick any decent brand/spec of oil. They're all better now than they were 30 years ago when they wrote the FSM.

Thanks for all the info. I'm in for Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-40, as long as I can find it reasonably.

After some searching, I found that Mobil does not offer Delvac Extreme in 10w-40. They only offer it in 10w-30 and 15w-40. I would prefer the 10w-30, but it's harder to find and more expensive. So, it looks like I'll be using the 15w-40 for year round use.

After some searching, I found that Mobil does not offer Delvac Extreme in 10w-40. They only offer it in 10w-30 and 15w-40. I would prefer the 10w-30, but it's harder to find and more expensive. So, it looks like I'll be using the 15w-40 for year round use.

Plenty of other good brands. I would stick with viscosity over brand. I find cranking is faster and oil flow comes up far quicker in winter with 10W40 than with 15W40.

The Mobil 1 Delvac, and all specific diesel engine oils I believe, have a higher zinc content than regular automotive oils which is a great thing for your engine. It is limited in gasoline engines due to zinc Coating O2 sensors causing failure. Best to stick with diesel oil choices IMHO.
For really fun times, check out the "Bob is the oil guy" forum. Endless opinion and insight.

I run Delvac 15-40 in all of my Cruisers, gasoline or diesel. My camshafts are thankful😁

The Mobil 1 Delvac, and all specific diesel engine oils I believe, have a higher zinc content than regular automotive oils which is a great thing for your engine. It is limited in gasoline engines due to zinc Coating O2 sensors causing failure. Best to stick with diesel oil choices IMHO.
For really fun times, check out the "Bob is the oil guy" forum. Endless opinion and insight.

I run Delvac 15-40 in all of my Cruisers, gasoline or diesel. My camshafts are thankful😁

All modern engine oils do dual duty. Mobil 1 Delvac is has an API SP rating for spark ignition engines and CK for compression ignition engines:

I checked out Bob the Oil Guy's page. Lots of good info there. I've pretty much decided on Delvac 15W-40.

I checked out Bob the Oil Guy's page. Lots of good info there. I've pretty much decided on Delvac 15W-40.

That'll be pretty sluggish in your winters. If you plug-in or garage you should be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom