1HD-FT Synthetic Engine Oil Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With so much conflicting info, and so many varying opinions, it's hard to know what to do. All of your info sounds reasonable, and I do appreciate it. I will certainly keep it in mind when buying oil.

The proof of an oil performance is in the certifications it meets. It can't be certified to a spec unless tested and passes.

These little spider carts are always a good tool to really understand what level of performance an oil meets.
The Cat spec is pretty much covers it all. You know it's a good lubricant if they pass their cert.

lubrizol-specification-c.jpeg

I'm good with wasting money on mine because I don't consider zinc in the oil or lubricity additive for the fuel a waste of money in my Toyota diesels that were manufactured when fuel and oil had these things in them. I'm wrong about lot's of stuff, why not be wrong on this? I waste money on way dumber Cruiser stuff 😁. I do appreciate the knowledge sharing for sure, but not changing my approach.

Oil viscosity and oil change interval on my 1HZ powered 105. I believe it's the same for 1HD-T and 1HD-FT.
View attachment 3606343

Back then Toyota stretched the FTE intervals out to an enormous 7,500km. Because the FTE ran a whole lot cleaner than the earlier engines. Less soot in the oil.

Note the progression in oil standards. CF oil on that chart is C for "compression ignition" (diesel) and F was the grade.
Now we're up to CK: Oil Categories - https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/oil-categories#tab-diesel-c-categories

IMO 3000-5000miles is madness. It's not the 1960's any more. Many vehicles now are north of 30,000km and John Deere are advertising diesel oil with 500 hour oil change intervals.

5W40 is fairly thick for a tdi. I run 5W30 in mine and it's got an oil quality sensor that tells me when it needs changed. This is usually around 24,000km (16k miles).
My engine is a Pumpe Duese which can wear out cams with the wrong oil. But with over 200,000km it's still working great.
The 3000-5000 mile changes are on trucks that don't see a lot of miles; oil change intervals could easily stretch to two years to rack up that kind of mileage. The oil is very inexpensive when purchased in bulk so it is easier to just do oil changes every couple of years and not worry about the mileage.

The TDI's I run are older VE engines, the VW 505.00 spec calls for 5W40 or 5W30. The Rotella T6 is only available locally in 5W40, so that's what I use. My parents have a PD TDI, they run LiquiMoly 5W40 that conforms to 505.01 and have around 280k miles on the original cam. We inspected the cam and lifters at around 250k and it was still pristine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom