Synching Wiper Motors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

middlecalf

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, I finally had the opportunity to use my wipers on my '65 (independant electric driven), and after a bit (brief bit) they're sort of living seperate lives (i.e. not synched). Any thoughts on keeping them synched? (Mainly so when I shut off the wipers - two speeds, on & off - one isn't sitting right in the middle of the view).

LOL Sorry but I went thru the same thing on my 67 , I gave up and figured I would just run the drivers side and that way I will always have a spare. Good Luck

I figured I would just run "each one" to its own "switch" for those rare times when someone is brave enough to ride with me!! :lol:

:eek: :steer:

Ok, I finally had the opportunity to use my wipers on my '65 (independant electric driven), and after a bit (brief bit) they're sort of living seperate lives (i.e. not synched). Any thoughts on keeping them synched? (Mainly so when I shut off the wipers - two speeds, on & off - one isn't sitting right in the middle of the view).

'Living separate lives', I like that. Hell, mine don't always show up to work on the same day. Driving in the rain is always an adventure.
I pulled mine apart and cleaned all the contacts and it seemed to help a bit, but I have more problems with the drivers side not wanting to turn off. I think it may have something to do with how they 'park' themselves. I just make sure I have plenty of RainX on the windshield and don't bother with them.

LOL Sorry but I went thru the same thing on my 67 , I gave up and figured I would just run the drivers side and that way I will always have a spare. Good Luck
Well now that answers my question as to why I keep seeing single-wiper vehicles and why mine only had one wiper arm.:hmm: I might just have to do the same.

The seperate switch idea might also be the solution, by putting a switch at each wiper, so the main is the master, and I can shut off either as desired. Should be an easy "upgrade."

The wiper motors do run Independently (switched) on a common power source, +& - but have a (S) synched wire at the top of wiper motor.
so the wiper arms go to the far right when the switch is turn off (park).
I had to figure this out on my 66 re-build one of the wires at the switch is Blue / white stripe, is the synched wire look for the (S) wire/post on the back of the switch Its the on the bottom on my switch.

Maybe 1 (or both)of the arms is slipping on the shaft that grips that wiper arm?
On my 71, 1 wiper would move a bit then stop while the other flapped away.The gear (inside the motor casing) that attaches to the wiper arm shaft was slipping.Its a pressed fit but eventually it loosened.Had to get it welded,grinded down flush to the gear and wallah!
I know mine is a 71 but thought I would throw that out there.Took me awhile to figure it out

The wiper motors do run Independently (switched) on a common power source, +& - but have a (S) synched wire at the top of wiper motor.
so the wiper arms go to the far right when the switch is turn off (park).
I had to figure this out on my 66 re-build one of the wires at the switch is Blue / white stripe, is the synched wire look for the (S) wire/post on the back of the switch Its the on the bottom on my switch.

Yep. They will park to the right when wired correctly. I think S means stop, as in Park, but it doesn't matter, it's the LW1 wire (in the wiring diagram) like you say, the top contact on the wiper motor itself, and the middle (kinda) contact on the switch.
IMG.jpg
IMG_0001 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
And, in case that was confusing...
IMG_0002.jpg

Ahh that's it two (S) Blue / white stripe wires one (- ) and one to the (s) I could not remember...exactly I was looking under the dash with a flash light could not quite see.
My FSM has the wiper side harness, but is void of the wiper switch drawing. :cheers: IDave

Yeah, and I pulled those from two different manuals. It's definitely confusing but follow the wire harness instructions and it'll work.

I believe the original WB ground wire went to the windshield frame, which then requires the windshield frame to have good contact to the chassis for the ground to complete. I ran the wire all the way back to the firewall for improved reliability.

Last edited:
Hmmm, my wipers stop wherever they're at when the switch is turned off. I guess I'll have to check the wiring. Thanks.

thats good stuff to know...great info

I personally always liked the fact that the wipers moved independent of each other...but...never liked the two speed...on and off

That and those anemic little blades are next to worthless in snow, let alone rain. But better than nothing. :D

The wipers should park in the RH side of the sweep. there is a small cam and contact that gets broken or stuck and will stop them from parking. make sure that it is working. you can *just* see part of it under the rubber contact cover.

The wipers should park in the RH side of the sweep. there is a small cam and contact that gets broken or stuck and will stop them from parking. make sure that it is working. you can *just* see part of it under the rubber contact cover.

I believe you're talking about the more modern wipers. There's no rubber contact cover or cam on the '65 versions. (See wiper motor illustrations above).

There is a cam and contact that parks the pre 68 motors. The rubber cover over the terminals is what I meant. There is a contact, and if you take the motor apart you will find a cam, a contact and a electro magnet brake which is what makes the odd noise when they park.

I just finished fixing one of Dom's wiper motors for his 45swb, and they do infact park. You will likely never get them to run at the same speed, but they should for sure park.

there is a small copper contact flat spring that is hidden by the three wire terminals, which is opened and closeed by a small rod driven by a cam that is under the plate on the front of the motor(not where the armature is)

I just finished fixing one of Dom's wiper motors for his 45swb, and they do infact park. You will likely never get them to run at the same speed, but they should for sure park.

Unless the winding resistance in each of the two motors were the same there's no way you could expect them to run in synch. The chances that you could buy two new motors with the exact same impedance or resistance would be zero.

The likelihood of either motor's resistance remaining consistent over it's life will be zero too. That means that for maybe one day in your truck's life the wipers will seem to be alllmost working perfectly in synch. You'll never get it back to that state though and for the rest of the truck's life they'll be uh, living separate lives.

Sounds cool, Brett. I haven't taken one apart for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom