Stuck Birfields - RVC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engusa.com
I’m putting in a front air locker and re-gearing. So I have to pull the shafts to remove the pumpkin.

The axle is actually a 62 housing that was extended.

The housing is not bent .

I have the flat spots lined up vertically. I cannot get the RVC birfields out. They come out just a bit from the pocket but not all the way.

I saw in a video aftermarket axles shafts might require the knuckles to come out.Thoughts?

I really don’t want to pull them. The studs are on real tight for steering arms. If I pull the knuckle all I have to do is keep shims in right order and I’ll be good to reassemble? No need to have it re-align them?

Probably just a tight fit. Use a slide hammer to pull them out.

My RCVs are older and not greaseable. A thread the size of a zerk doesn't sound very strong. It might not even be threaded (some are just pressed in). I might devise some other way to attach the slide hammer. Is there an outer snap-ring groove? Maybe fabricate something to go over the splines and behind the snap-ring?

Or, just grab the end of the axle and work it up and down slightly while you pull it. I had to do just that to remove a late-model birf that was a tight fit in an early-model knuckle.

My RCVs are older and not greaseable. A thread the size of a zerk doesn't sound very strong. It might not even be threaded (some are just pressed in). I might devise some other way to attach the slide hammer. Is there an outer snap-ring groove? Maybe fabricate something to go over the splines and behind the snap-ring?

Or, just grab the end of the axle and work it up and down slightly while you pull it. I had to do just that to remove a late-model birf that was a tight fit in an early-model knuckle.
No groove for the snap ring. I was suprised about that. I’ll just work it up and down I guess.

you say 62 housing, 1962? or 62 series?
is the other side out?

You can try to widen the distance between flats by carefully grinding those areas a little.

Loosen the top steering arm bolts. If the shim pack isn't exactly right you will ever so slight compress the ball just enough
to be an annoyance

/this\

Nuff said.

Get em out?

Is longer on the passenger side. Yes custom RVC shafts. LCWizard makes the sleeve to extend the passenger side.

So I had this exact problem with older RCV shafts. They fit so tight in the side gear that I had to resort to welding on a nut to the shaft to pull them out. I pried on the birf which eventually came out but left the shaft stuck in the side gear and axle housing. I had to weld a nut on to the shaft and pull out with a make shift puller. Newer RCV shafts do not fit that tight.

But I wrecked a shaft doing that and had to buy a new one from Valley Hybrids. Just the price of Land Cruisering.

How do you know the housing is not bent? Is it a ruff stuff housing or some other aftermarket housing? When you put them in the first time did you have to hammer them in?

How do you know the housing is not bent? Is it a ruff stuff housing or some other aftermarket housing? When you put them in the first time did you have to hammer them in?

Yes, had to tap them in originally. Housing is straight, and tried the axle in question in 2 other differentials I had in the garage, one arb and 1 stock. Same issue.

So I finally got around to pulling the shafts out. The long side came out easy but that short side would not clear the end of the axle cup. I had to take off the knuckle and go through the bearing holes to lightly tap and pry on the back of Birfiled to push it out.

To my questions, I did not change the shim order therefore am I OK to put the knuckle back a is with no central tool/center adjustment?

Every time I have had a hard time pulling the birf, the housing was bent. Oddly enough, Ive bent more short sides than long sides.

if you wheel it, buy a diamond housing and forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom