My key is stuck … won’t turn ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I’ve never had this problem but the key won’t turn forward …
It worked literally last week, but it’s been raining and cold and then warms and then back to rainy weather, not sure if moisture could have caused it or what but it won’t turn…ideas?

Just fyi, I am going through a steering column change (from an 80’s style back to ‘76 OEM) and I’m using the ‘76 oem because I wired it up but the 80’s style column is still attached and controlling the car.
I know, I know … don’t say anything
Anyways, I’ve tried to turn the wheel back and forth to see if it was locked bec of that, nothing…
Let me get pics so you guys understand what I mean by my complicated set-up. It’s not that complicated I’m just in the process of changing columns (like literally in the middle, which is why the weird set-up).
But I need suggestions on how to get my key to turn the ignition, which has been working without issue previously. This is a first

Try a little graphite, 1 puff into cyl, then try, also try holding the key out like 1mm , sometimes the shoulder stops get worn and they key goes into cyl too far.

Try a little graphite, 1 puff into cyl, then try, also try holding the key out like 1mm , sometimes the shoulder stops get worn and they key goes into cyl too far.

Ok will try … thanks for any other ideas peeps … if there’s anymore? 😬

I changed all the lock cylinders on my FZJ75 and FJ45. Nothing like new locks and keys. Looks like the ignition cylinder is still available:

I squirt some wd40 in there and stab the key in and out for a minute or so to free up all the pins. It only takes one stuck pin to stop it moving

So I unplugged the steering column which ignition turns the car on because I’ve just wired it up preparing for the steering column switch. Therefore my old one is still attached physically hardware wise and controls steering still. (Pic to see what I mean..)
IMG_4500.jpeg

Now the OEM one which I’m installing is what I use to fired the car up because I’ve wired it up preparing for switch like I said.
Bec it only attached by wires I just disconnect the electrical joint for easy inspection and troubleshooting. Here are those pics of the problem child …
IMG_4466.jpeg
IMG_4464.jpeg
IMG_4463.jpeg

Now for a closer look at the actual key to ignition here are a couple more which I have 2 questions about also…

Is the ignition cylinder key inlet supposed to sit out like this?
IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4464.jpeg

There is a pin, which i picture and I’m curious if that is what I would put pressure on to let the cylinder pop out for further inspection - is that correct? (I’m gunna look for some info on that now but figured I’d pose the question).

And then finally here are some pics of me sticking the key in after giving WD/PB blaster and showing that it enters the ‘OFF’ position and barely (doesn’t feel like any to be honest although mm or mm.5 and almost reaches the ‘ACC’ but doesn’t make it. Jiggle, jiggle, take out a mm and try/jiggle and try again and switch the key over and do the same and turn the wheel while doing all that same as well and NOTHING.
IMG_4499.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

Doesn't look right to me.
Normally you turn the key partly and then press the button to release the barrel - you can try it though.

If you can turn it almost as far as ACC, then I'd guess that it's not being stopped by the lock pins - something else is going on at the back.

Ok solved - after spraying PB on the key and inserting it and jiggling around —

I put the column upright and then I was able to get it to turn after some jiggling and playing …

I think I should get a new key

Does that ignition barrel seem like it’s sticking out a bit or is that normal?

I don't think mine sticks out like that.

You can pull the barrel out now its turning, and see how it looks

Yes, that pin is pushed and cyl should come out, you may have to have the key in & turned to depress pin. That cyl does not appear to be sitting all the way into housing. If it was/is sloppy the housing and/or cyl may have not been put together properly or have worn and housing will not hold cyl properly no matter what you do. Is that the cyl from that column or are you trying to use the cyl from the og column ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom