Straightening bent bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Threads
Okay so I have a replacement bumper I plan on installing on my cruiser. As you can see in the photo it has a slight bend on one side. Much better than my current bumper but it would be nice to have it straight.

Any ideas? Heat? I bent my shifter cane with heat but this is a lot more surface area to heat up.

Take it to a shop with a press?

Any DIY solutions?

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422771761.697124.jpg

A bend that slight, I would bend that back cold. have you looked at the other side? Is it straight?

I would clamp it up with putting the inside "resort" to where you want it to bend back and with some heat it will come back

i lay them on a flat surface and drive the front tire of my 6x6 over them ,sometimes you have to shim them to over bend a bit because they spring back a little .when that fails i use my press that should be and easy fix .i have also used my pto winch to straighten them

I agree with bending it back cold. the first thing that comes to mind is using your winch once you get it working. using a tree or something with a block and back to the bumper. I would wrap the end of the bumper with a nylon sling or similar and let the winch pull it back into place. you will have more control this way.

Like the way you did it. I have a heavy I beam to use instead of wood. In the past I've used two port-a-powers between two raised concrete slabs. One to hold the bumper in place and the other press it back in shape. Spacing off the concrete with wood it allows the first port-a-power to hold it in place and the second to press a little past the point.

I had a bent stock front bumper that was twisted a bit; much more than that one. I wrapped a tow strap around it, laid it flat on the ground and parked my dually on it. Then I reversed in the cruiser, gently trying to pull the strap out from under the dually. Each tug I checked the bumper. It took about four tugs to get it perfect. Now you'd never know it was ever bent and the awesome patina of the original bumper is preserved.

Like the way you did it. I have a heavy I beam to use instead of wood. In the past I've used two port-a-powers between two raised concrete slabs. One to hold the bumper in place and the other press it back in shape. Spacing off the concrete with wood it allows the first port-a-power to hold it in place and the second to press a little past the point.

Yeah the 4x4 was a sacrificial piece of wood for this. I'll use it for non-structural stuff only now. Wood is strong, but it definitely has a nice bend in it now due to this process... :)

You may want to lob off the ends a bit... When they are that long they are rock/tree finders IMHO

I guess I don't disagree, but I like the idea of some protection for the tires and suspension. I cut and welded mine up to look a bit more stylish. They already had the backwards rake, or I would've done that too.

bumper774-jpg.586314

bumper809-jpg.586315

bumper819-jpg.586316

You may want to lob off the ends a bit... When they are that long they are rock/tree finders IMHO

I lobbed off mine ... pic from long ago :)

View attachment 1040955

I guess I don't disagree, but I like the idea of some protection for the tires and suspension. I cut and welded mine up to look a bit more stylish. They already had the backwards rake, or I would've done that too.

bumper774-jpg.586314

bumper809-jpg.586315

bumper819-jpg.586316

I have to agree with Eddy on this. When I first bought my 68 while turkey hunting I turned around to adjust a shotgun in a rack behind the driver's seat. Next thing I knew I came to a quick stop. I had wandered off the trail and hit a pine tree. The PO had made some brackets to support the ends of the stock bumper. Very nicely done and was years before I realized they weren't stock. Stock bumper probably would have buckled but like most aftermarket bumpers it protected the suspension and fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom