Stock height springs for an FJ60 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LazarusTaxa

SILVER Star
Threads
I need a new suspension setup and tires and I think my preference is 31s and stock height springs instead of the standard 2-3" lift with 33s.. I'm not expecting to do a ton of off-roading that a 60 with 31" BFG K02s cant handle. And, loading kids into car seats in a lifted 60 is kind of a pain.

I've looked at the older threads and want to see if I'm missing anything. But, it seems that at this point the only option to find stock height springs is to have custom ones made or to re-arch my old ones (not gonna do that). SOR still has the "grocery getter" setup, but the Version 1 which is stock height has been discontinued and Version 2 is a 2" lift... I'm not sure why you'd get the 2" grocery getter over your standard 2" OME lift and the SOR Rep didn't seem to know anything either.

Does anyone else offer stock height springs? Or, I suppose I could take the OME packs apart and remove a leaf?

If all else fails, I'll just go with the 33s... I'm putting in an H55F at the same time, so gearing won't be too much of an issue. It's more about height.

I'm sure there's someone that has a decent set of stock springs in their stash… I have some old fronts laying around but you'd have to source rears.

I'm sure there's someone that has a decent set of stock springs in their stash… I have some old fronts laying around but you'd have to source rears.

I mean my old ones aren't cracked or broken and are usable as well... I'm mainly just taking the opportunity to replace the 34 year old parts.

You’ll never be able to shift into 5th gear at normal highway speeds running 33” tires with the 5 speed and stock 3:70 gears. Even 31” tires are a bit too tall for 5th gear.
The lower 1st & 2nd gear is nice on that transmission, but unless you know with absolute certainty that you NEED 33” tires for the gnarly off-road trails you regularly take, the cruiser will drive and stop a lot better running on 31s.

Stock springs when new didn’t have much space between the axle housing and bump stop anyway. The fronts maybe had 1/2” downward travel before bottoming out and the rears maybe 2-1-2 inches.

You’ll never be able to shift into 5th gear at normal highway speeds running 33” tires with the 5 speed and stock 3:70 gears. Even 31” tires are a bit too tall for 5th gear.
The lower 1st & 2nd gear is nice on that transmission, but unless you know with absolute certainty that you NEED 33” tires for the gnarly off-road trails you regularly take, the cruiser will drive and stop a lot better running on 31s.

Stock springs when new didn’t have much space between the axle housing and bump stop anyway. The fronts maybe had 1/2” downward travel before bottoming out and the rears maybe 2-1-2 inches.

I've driven a 60 with 33s, stock gears, and an H55F.. And, yeah, in low gears it was totally fine. I didn't get to push it past 50-60 but It didn't seem like it would have too much trouble maintaining that speed. Regardless, I'd prefer to go with 31s

I need a new suspension setup and tires and I think my preference is 31s and stock height springs instead of the standard 2-3" lift with 33s.. I'm not expecting to do a ton of off-roading that a 60 with 31" BFG K02s cant handle. And, loading kids into car seats in a lifted 60 is kind of a pain.

I've looked at the older threads and want to see if I'm missing anything. But, it seems that at this point the only option to find stock height springs is to have custom ones made or to re-arch my old ones (not gonna do that). SOR still has the "grocery getter" setup, but the Version 1 which is stock height has been discontinued and Version 2 is a 2" lift... I'm not sure why you'd get the 2" grocery getter over your standard 2" OME lift and the SOR Rep didn't seem to know anything either.

Does anyone else offer stock height springs? Or, I suppose I could take the OME packs apart and remove a leaf?

If all else fails, I'll just go with the 33s... I'm putting in an H55F at the same time, so gearing won't be too much of an issue. It's more about height.
Funny, I'm in essentially the exact same boat. Running 31" BFG K02s on my 85 60 and was looking for a stock height spring upgrade to minimize lift because I'm also loading kids into carseats, and don't expect aggressive offroading. I've been scouring the forums for a few months now and came to pretty much the same conclusions - likely reading the same threads. I was either going to give-in and go for the OME light suspension upgrade that seems to be highly recommended (but pricey for a 36yr old rust bucket), or I was thinking of trying to piece something together. I'd love to hear recommendations; there's got to be options for some stock aftermarket springs and a set of universal shocks for someone looking to upgrade without breaking the bank, going for all-out aggressive lift, and/or going direct to spring manufacturers for custom options. Let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same.

That looks like a good start! Does anybody have experience with General Springs?
I just bought an 85 and the suspension is worn out, but just like you, I don't want a lift (at least at this point with small kids :) ). Did you purchase leafs from General Spring? If not, what did you end up going with? Also, did you replace shocks? It seems like for my setup, Bilsteins might do the trick.

Believe BTB and SOR off “grocery getter” spring packages. Basically stock ride height springs. Rockauto used to list stock springs from some generic spring mfg. No idea how good or bad they are

Believe BTB and SOR off “grocery getter” spring packages. Basically stock ride height springs. Rockauto used to list stock springs from some generic spring mfg. No idea how good or bad they are
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like BTB is out. Looks like SOR is out of stock. I connected with someone local and they said that General Springs are solid, so I'll give those a try and post feedback here.

Yeah, I know someone who got some made from them... It was like $1500 back in 2015 though, so not very cost effective compared to OME.

Do you think new stock height springs should cost less then lift springs?

Ordered from General Springs back in Nov, fronts still on back order. Told me Friday it could be April.

Sure, just the bare springs are like $650-700 for all four, but the full kit is a lot more.

If you’re replacing springs, you don’t also need shackles, u bolts, bushings, stock-height shocks? I think you’ll find it evens out.

Do you think new stock height springs should cost less then lift springs?
It is pretty surprising that it's so hard to find stock springs and that options can be so expensive. OME seems to be the gold standard, but very few options for those who don't want a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom