Stepping up to a Vortec (LM7) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to painting the brackets for mounting the pcm under the glove box. I also found a good grommet from Summit, that can cover the 3" hole I cut. I need to make some changes to the engine harness to get everything to come out right. I'll try and get some pics up in the next day or so

Took my headers into the local muffler shop and had them add the 2 bolt ball and socket connection to them. Not bad for $40

IMG_2641.JPG

I bought an auxillary second tank that sites behind the rear axle. I orginally bought a high flow external fuel pump that was mounted on the frame. After it vapor locked twice, I had to relook at how to combat this. I kept the fuel pump and bucket bracket. See image. https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/au...2001_fuel_pump_module_assembly_oem_e3507m.jpg From some work, I was able to modify the bucket enough to fit in the aux tank. Be sure to get submersible fuel line if running rubber in the tank.

I bought an auxillary second tank that sites behind the rear axle. I orginally bought a high flow external fuel pump that was mounted on the frame. After it vapor locked twice, I had to relook at how to combat this. I kept the fuel pump and bucket bracket. See image. https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/au...2001_fuel_pump_module_assembly_oem_e3507m.jpg From some work, I was able to modify the bucket enough to fit in the aux tank. Be sure to get submersible fuel line if running rubber in the tank.

sgirt,

did you have any issues finding the correct delphi connector to plug into that pump? or did you cut the one out of the donor vehicle?

sgirt,

did you have any issues finding the correct delphi connector to plug into that pump? or did you cut the one out of the donor vehicle?

I cut off the flexible plastic pickup tube and bought submersible rubber hose from napa. Using a hose clamp on the end of the fuel pump. this another to the alum pickup line coming from the plate on top of the fuel tank.

Aeroquip sells a lot of the high pressure lines and fittings although I have little experience with them I have used other aeroquip products and had good results

I cut off the flexible plastic pickup tube and bought submersible rubber hose from napa. Using a hose clamp on the end of the fuel pump. this another to the alum pickup line coming from the plate on top of the fuel tank.

Thanks Sgirt...but I was thinkinmg more about hte delphi electrical connection to power the pump. I have access to a similar pump system but it doesn't have the male half of the electrical connector.

Aeroquip sells a lot of the high pressure lines and fittings although I have little experience with them I have used other aeroquip products and had good results

I am a pretty big fan of Aeromotive...The fuel system in My Chevelle is plumbed with all AN fittings and hose from them. I am probably going to use their Phantom in tank pump system that they unveiled at SEMA this year.

Mini-update: finally found a decent grommet to plug up the ginormous hole in the firewall I made. The brand is Seals-it and Summit carries them. I found a 4" OD with a 1"ID. I got a square of 1/4" thick foam and trimmed it to fit behind the grommet. It's by no means perfect, but I can live with it for now. I also got most of the main engine harness up and out of the way. The headers are at the ceramic coating shop, I'm hoping to pick them up tomorrow or Friday.

I'm also slowly going through the wiring and cleaning stuff up and re-routing a lot of it. I'm going to try and weatherpack as much as possible before re-running around the chassis.

2012-12-26_16-42-19_723.jpg

2012-12-26_16-42-41_940.jpg

Last edited:
got a bunch more wiring done and got the engine to turn over on just the starter. Not a huge milestone but the small amount of progress is nice. I can hang the fenders back on and weather pack all the headlights etc. then move on to fuel and cooling.

Any updates on this?

Any updates on this?

Time is pretty scarce lately, I have a newborn at home and I'm back in school so the updates are going to be slow coming for awhile.

I did some more work on the wiring last night and got the gauges and the heater wired back up. I'll be tackling the fuel system pretty soon

Cool man, no worries. When I get back from the 'stan I'm going to tackle this with my '72. Looks clean so far...I'll be using a lot of your pointers. Thanks.

Cool man, no worries. When I get back from the 'stan I'm going to tackle this with my '72. Looks clean so far...I'll be using a lot of your pointers. Thanks.

No problem, I'm glad some of the info will help someone else down the road. Take care while in the 'Stan and thankyou for your service!

Took a trip down to vetteworks since they are so close to my house and had a talk with Dan, the owner. I think this system should work well, and will be far cheaper than the Aeromotive system I had originally thought about using. The stock 69 tank is about 9" tall. I am hoping the gm pump can be shortened enough to fit.

@op: Nice. Never heard of them before, now if I want a nice built up shortblock I know where to go, since I work like 3 blocks from them haha. Beautiful motor

I just welded the Vetteworks mounting ring to my long range tank. It is almost 16 inches deep, so I just left the pump at the stock length. The new pumps have only two rods, instead of the three, so it's alittle easier to modify.

By looking at my pump, you should be able to shorten yours to 9 inches.
IMG_1719.jpg

@op: Nice. Never heard of them before, now if I want a nice built up shortblock I know where to go, since I work like 3 blocks from them haha. Beautiful motor

Bryan is awesome to work with, and since your so close you can save on the freight charges. I recommend getting his harness and ecu as well, he makes it pretty easy to install even if you have hacked up wiring like mine lol.

I just welded the Vetteworks mounting ring to my long range tank. It is almost 16 inches deep, so I just left the pump at the stock length. The new pumps have only two rods, instead of the three, so it's alittle easier to modify.

By looking at my pump, you should be able to shorten yours to 9 inches.

I just got a email from him saying the dimensions should work so I may take the tank down there and have him cut the hole and weld the ring in for me. Dan is a pretty cool guy, and he has done tons of LS swaps in that shop. He had a sweet 84 Vette with a newly installed LS3 in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom