One Step Up Two Steps Back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had dropped my windshield frame off at the local glass company and was going to treat myself to having them install the glass after they cut it, I had also dropped off a gasket and and lock strip that I bought from a vendor choosing the generic one and not OEM. Big mistake on my part. After the glass co. said "we give up" I took it home and having done my own installations before thought I'd just do it myself. Step 1, put the gasket on the glass, usually a five minute job but after an hour of struggling to get it on I gave up. I think if had I six helpers It might have worked but would have come off when I tried to put it in the frame. Rock hard , twisted. and no ability to contour to the glass I was defeated by this P O S. I called the vendor and they are going to take that one back and send me an OEM gasket this time around so I am assuming that will go on the glass a little easier. It may be a few weeks until I get the OEM gasket and two and a half weeks have already gone by up to this point so I continue to work around this on other details of the project. I've installed flat and curved glass on other project trucks and never run into this before. Has anyone else run into this with their LC?

The windshield install tried my patience. All the other windows were a breeze in comparison. Maybe it’s cause I had more experience by then?
I used tape to hold the weatherstrip to the window and used the rope method to pull it through. But it took me a few hours with a lot of trial and error.

I know the rope method is easy, but if it has a lock strip, it is unnecessary. Put the rubber in the frame and place the glass in one side of the rubber. Then use plastic pry tools, like the kind to remove door panels, to work the gasket over the rest of the glass. Then insert the lock strip with the proper tool. The seal will cooperate much better in the frame than on the glass. Lots of soapy water for lubricant is essential.

Funny thing... I just picked up my frame from the glass shop today. I supplied them with the Toyota gasket and lock, but they used their own as they prefer it more.

It looks excellent. As long as the installers use what they're more comfortable with and I can't tell the difference, I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom