Stepping up to a Vortec (LM7) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey bud. Nice thread. I still need a few more posts before I can start the build thread. Thx for the assist on looking at the 64. In 2 weeks it's gone from assembled to completely blown apart.. You'll need to stop by and spectate (help) one day.

Hey bud. Nice thread. I still need a few more posts before I can start the build thread. Thx for the assist on looking at the 64. In 2 weeks it's gone from assembled to completely blown apart.. You'll need to stop by and spectate (help) one day.

Thanks! It's been agonizing watching you work on your rig of FB lol I want to build another FJ so bad. Glad I have been able to help in anyway. All those months of looking at beat up FJ's finally paid off in finding you a keeper. I'd love to come out and give you a hand sometime. we'll have to work out a day, sundays are usually good for me.

10 years later after selling this FJ in LA and hearing it went out to Arkansas and then New York, it popped up for sale 15mikes from my home in San Diego... I ran out and bought it and have been picking away at it since March.

The story of what happened to it in those 10 years and how I got it back are pretty crazy. Glad it's home

10 years later after selling this FJ in LA and hearing it went out to Arkansas and then New York, it popped up for sale 15mikes from my home in San Diego... I ran out and bought it and have been picking away at it since March.

The story of what happened to it in those 10 years and how I got it back are pretty crazy. Glad it's home

Post up Some more pics/ story! Crazy how the world works

we need to hear the story

Here's how she sits today. Largely the same just a lot more wear and tear. Next items to fix are:

Need to fix the rear crossmember and install my 4plus tire carrier

Install folding best top seat

Change the trans (currently has a sm420)

Needs a new soft top

Seats and seat frames are pretty bad. bought a kit from Cummins cruiser

PXL_20230519_191102956.jpg

IMG_20230616_180009_643.jpg

we need to hear the story

**Wall of text warning**

In 2012, Life happened and after having our first son, both my wife and I faced layoff notices from our companies. We decided to leave Washington state and return to California where we felt our job markets were better and we'd have support from family. One of the last posts from me in this thread was a picture of us shipping it to LA. Once we got to LA I sold it pretty quickly to a young(mid late 20's?) entrepreneur. He kept in touch for a year or two with little questions here and there, then Wal-Mart got interested in his startup and he moved to Arkansas to work his startup partnership. The last time we spoke, he was getting married and sent me some pics of the cruiser and his new wife. That was 2014ish, and I never heard anything from him again.

On St. Patricks Day 2023, I was surfing Craigslist at my sons Taekwondo practice and saw the FJ. It was 15miles from my place in San Diego, and the seller was not the guy I sold it to. I asked some questions to ensure it was my rig then I went out and saw it. The seller was a nice guy but it was obvious we were both holding back information about this vehicle. I finally asked him "Did you buy this rig from entrepreneur guy?" and he said "sort of, he was my brother in-law and he died and his family asked me to come get it". After some more discussion I revealed who I was and he said entrepreneur guy had talked about me and that he had been looking for me for a few years after he found some registration slips in the glove box. It was a interesting A-ha type of moment for both of us.

The brother in-law filled in some more of the blanks, and that basically the startup was funded by friends and family and when things started to not go well, a lot of people close to him lost a lot of money. As the business was failing he also started being pretty mean to his wife to the point she left him. Not long after that he passed in a unfortunate way and his family brought his belongings back to California. I asked brother in-law if the rig was a sticking point with him and his sister and it sounded like it was a reminder of bad times and she was happy to see it go.

The rig is a weird time capsule for me. interesting to see what things I did (and the PO I bought it from who I tracked down on Mud) held up and what things failed (ceramic coating on my headers is completely gone for example, and most of the things I powder coated had failed or had UV damage. Guessing the rig spent all 10-11 years outside as the new top I sold it with is destroyed.

Spent part of the 4th of July and some of today installing my 4plus bumper. I had the single swing out on my last cruiser and wished I had bought the dual swing out. I've had this bumper since April and had to get some items fixed before I could get it installed.

PO cut open the rear crossmember to install LED taillights. Unfortunately the mounts for the new bumper landed right where those tail lights were

PXL_20230623_224316971.jpg

So I pulled them and put in the 1968 style lights and brackets

IMG_20230628_155229_289.jpg

Lastly had a local fabricator weld in some patches

PXL_20230702_203917965.jpg

Got everything painted and then installed the bumper

PXL_20230705_183525561.jpg

Thats a sad but interesting story. IMO that cruiser & you have a connection that will benefit both of you, congratulations, enjoy.

Curious, does it still have the 420 ? I run a 2001 lq9 on a sm420/orion combo and have been looking at 5 spd or auto and atlas.

Sucks for the street but rules in the mountains and it has been beat on for 30 years with SBC & now an LS for 17 years, been rebulit once in 03', sm420 has outlasted 3 engines, 2 tcases, 2 clutches on the LS. When my 40 is a rusted pile that 420 will stand proud on top of the debris pile waiting for its new home.

They are definitely stout and have their place. Unfortunately for me, living in San Diego, I drive way more on the freeway and in the city than on the trails. Overdrive and a more useable gear spread will be huge

I’ve got a 465 behind my lm7 and my only regret is not having something between 2&3rd. Driving around the valley is only 60mph- if there’s no tourists going 45. Going over the pass is where I’d like another gear. 2nd revs pretty high and 3rd lugs to hard. 35”s are enough overdrive around here. I agree with @peesalot though, I love it offroad.

Being in So-Cal, just about anywhere I would want to go wheeling is at least a hour and a half away. Most of my favorite places to go are on the other side of the state. I agree the trans is awesome offroad, but that's just not where it's going to get used 99% of the time. Really need a non-compound first, a good gear spread, and OD. Driving around locally I am always in the wrong gear it seems.

Trans is definitely on the list, but immediate need is for some better seats, that will be the next project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom