Sourcing a Receiver Hitch that allows you to keep the back step for ambulance doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know where I could source a receiver hitch like this that would allow us to keep the back step for the ambulance doors? Or maybe there is a receiver hitch people use that has a fold down step? I'm having trouble finding anything but this seems like it would be a common problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 9.09.44 AM.png

I was going to suggest the same as @Living in the Past . I use a Pintle with built in ball on my 80 series. It works well.

Edit: Here's a photo:

1709575352649.png

Or you could source your receiver hitch of choice and pick up one of these:

View attachment 3573686

Automatically stores up when not in use.
My biggest complaint with this is how far out the hitch would extend. Looks like the multiple holes are for the original receiver and the one by the step is for receiver head with the ball. For towing it's better to extend the tongue on the trailer not on the hitch. Closer the ball is to the rear axle better it will handle. This is especially true on a short wheel base FJ40.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with this is how far out the hitch would extend. Looks like the multiple holes are for the original receiver and the one by the step is for receiver head with the ball. For towing it's better to extend the tongue on the trailer not on the hitch. Closer the ball is to the rear axle better it will handle. This is especially true on a short wheel base FJ40.

It's not meant to be used with a ball hitch but only as a rear step. I liked this one because when not in use it folded up out of the way. A secondary function is a rear bump stop. :)

Last edited:
Some of the earlier model FJ40’s, the step was higher up. I think Confer, SOR and maybe ManAFre sold a 2” receiver that went under the step. The picture is of my 1968 setup. I wouldn’t hang Moore than 200 lbs tong weight and maybe 500 lbs draw weight, but it works for small loads.
IMG_2687.jpeg

You might look for a similar step and a hitch that doesn’t interfere with the step.

Some of the earlier model FJ40’s, the step was higher up. I think Confer, SOR and maybe ManAFre sold a 2” receiver that went under the step. The picture is of my 1968 setup. I wouldn’t hang Moore than 200 lbs tong weight and maybe 500 lbs draw weight, but it works for small loads.
View attachment 3573918

You might look for a similar step and a hitch that doesn’t interfere with the step.
I am pretty sure that one has been modified. It's the same year range as the one I posted above. That would be 9/67-9/73. Those will fit the E-9/67 just narrower than the earlier ones. 9/73 and later the flange where it bolts too the crossmember flipped and shared the same threaded holes as the bumperettes. New tail lights caused the bumperettes to move towards the center. These holes were changed to match the bumperettes. So bolt pattern on the step was different than earlier ones. I have the three different styles used on the FJ40s to verify. But almost positive these were all lower and none have an arch, just a straight angle.

I am pretty sure that one has been modified. It's the same year range as the one I posted above. That would be 9/67-9/73. Those will fit the E-9/67 just narrower than the earlier ones. 9/73 and later the flange where it bolts too the crossmember flipped and shared the same threaded holes as the bumperettes. New tail lights caused the bumperettes to move towards the center. These holes were changed to match the bumperettes. So bolt pattern on the step was different than earlier ones. I have the three different styles used on the FJ40s to verify. But almost positive these were all lower and none have an arch, just a straight angle.
Sorry man, it’s an original…..no welds or cuts by PO other that fill in where he drilled a hole for a trailer ball and the notch for the hitch…..I’ve seen the short steps listed in older OEM parts lists.

IMG_3841.png

This is a parts breakdown for Land Cruiser….. looks like in 69 (earliest listing) the shorter step may have been intended for the FJ45…..however, the short step on my rig is an original.

Attached is a picture of a 67 on display at the SLC Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. If you Zoom in on the rear step, you can see it’s a short version.
IMG_1592.jpeg

View attachment 3574036
This is a parts breakdown for Land Cruiser….. looks like in 69 (earliest listing) the shorter step may have been intended for the FJ45…..however, the short step on my rig is an original.
That is the date for back of the 40 series. The step which is much wider is for the 45V. Those were the troopys and didn't start until 4/79. Can't remember for sure this besides being wider there silver colour and diamond plate. They also had bar on the sides. Both the FJ40 and FJ45V the flange is bent out. If you look of the part number for the FJ40 it will change 9/73. 62641-60020 is 9/67-9/73. 9/73 and later is 62641-90300. 9/73 the flange changed. Because the tail light change bumperettes moved step changed.

Attached is a picture of a 67 on display at the SLC Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. If you Zoom in on the rear step, you can see it’s a short version.
View attachment 3574047
I can't make out if it's shorter or not. I can tell the angle is the same as the seven factory steps I have. Passenger mirror and hub caps I believe this 67 been restored.

These two are original paint FJ40s.
IMG_0367.jpg

The 70 unfortunately had a 2F installed in 1975 The F had burned a exhaust valve. Owner said someone pulled the 2F out of a brand new 75 and installed a V8. Last time I checked the serial number on the 2F was lowest here in the US in the 2F thread. The pintle hook I added the step and bumperettes removed when new and came with sale. Those are original paint..build date is 10/69. The owner also gave me the rear steps and bumperettes off two 63s he and his dad purchased new. Bumperettes are beige. Back then bumperettes were painted body color. The Ramsey winch was a dealer added option back in the sixties.
The carrot 025.jpg

The other cruiser is a 10/75 76 model with 4,502 miles on it. It has a story as well. But the paint is original.

Does anybody know where I could source a receiver hitch like this that would allow us to keep the back step for the ambulance doors? Or maybe there is a receiver hitch people use that has a fold down step? I'm having trouble finding anything but this seems like it would be a common problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

View attachment 3573623
IMG_6785.jpeg

From the look of these, they could be mounted higher by drilling 2/4 new holes. Mark’s Off Road @65swb45 also sells a similar hitch if I recall correctly.

Found on his specials page:
IMG_6786.jpeg

Last edited:

1709621201722.jpeg

I put in a rear bench seat to make it safe for little kids in car seats, so I don't worry about the rear step. But I think this setup allows for a foothold. Don't be wearing your bellbottom jeans, though.
B95E66CA-70D3-4555-9825-EA969D14C80D_1_105_c.jpeg

I made a custom receiver hitch and bought a long extension/insert. I rarely tow, and only tow light stuff, so it doesn't have to be a monster hitch. When removed, the step is functional.

20210911_092651.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom