Steering Tie-rod Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to change my tie-rod ends; discovered 2 out 5 rubber seals are gone. I have a few questions; hoping someone can enlighten me.
  1. Do I have to change all 5 or can I only change the damaged ones?
  2. What is the torque for the castle bolt? Is it the same for all 5 tie-ends?
  3. How do I check the damper? If I have to replace it; does anyone know its specifications?
  4. Are there any seals / rubber in the bracket (the one mounted in the corner of the frame) that need to be changed. See the last picture.

Left Tie Rod-end
Tie Rod Joints- Left Side.jpg

Right Tie Rod End

Tie Rod Joints- Right Side.jpg

Damper

Tie Rod Joints- Damper.jpg

There's something that I'm really confused about. if you look at the typical drawing of the link arrangement (http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/gr/1983/land-cruiser-40/fj45lp-k/6_781210_101_/powertrain-chassis/4505_front-steering-gear-link) This is for a left-hand drive.

Rod 45450 is connected to Rod 45460A on the left side; but mine is connected on the right side. Is this a PO mistake? But, if I flip it over to match the drawing; then I have to re-locate the bracket; which is located on the left corner of the frame .

Tie Rod Bracket-1.jpg

This does not make sense & does not work with the physics? Its just logical; but I don't expect Toyota to issue a drawing for a left-hand that is really meant for a right hand.

Would appreciate some help here.

Hi mate,

I cant help you with the left to right hand conversion of the drawing but If I were you i would buy a kit and replace it as it came out.

Tie rod end kits are about $80 of ebay (Australia) and they come with a full set of ends - A piece of advice get ends with greese nipples so they can be regreased with a gun. replace the lot in one go.

The dampers are cheap and worth replacing, even if yours only has, 100,000 on it I would replace with a new one.

The nuts are done up tight, you cant overtorque them as the ends press onto the rods as you do them up, just make sure everything gets a split pin.

The drawing you reference appears to be for a right hand drive but it shouldn't matter, all the rod ends should be the same, just will be on opposite sides from what that drawing shows. Your steering setup looks right to me.

Hi mate,

I cant help you with the left to right hand conversion of the drawing but If I were you i would buy a kit and replace it as it came out.

Tie rod end kits are about $80 of ebay (Australia) and they come with a full set of ends - A piece of advice get ends with greese nipples so they can be regreased with a gun. replace the lot in one go.

The dampers are cheap and worth replacing, even if yours only has, 100,000 on it I would replace with a new one.

The nuts are done up tight, you cant overtorque them as the ends press onto the rods as you do them up, just make sure everything gets a split pin.

Thanks News45. I thought I might as well replace all at a single go. Going to replace the damper too.

The drawing you reference appears to be for a right hand drive but it shouldn't matter, all the rod ends should be the same, just will be on opposite sides from what that drawing shows. Your steering setup looks right to me.

Thanks Landcruiserrich. I've seen the same drawing in a number of locations. I agree with you, that it has to be a right hand drive version. Good to know that mine looks right; the thought of switching it around was just too much for me.

FWIW - Here are the suggested TRE's for a left hand drive FJ40 ('69 - '83 LHD FJ40/45 ) - Tie Rod End Kit.

Thanks for the link GA Architect

Hi all,

Contact Cruiser Outfitters in Utah (a MUD vender.) They can help you with tech questions and sell a nice non-Toyota (but Japanese made) TRE replacement kit, as well as steering dampers.

Good luck,

Alan

that doesn't look like the right kit to me. Maybe the part number is correct but that picture is not

EDIT: http://cruiseroutfitters.com/steering.html

first one at the top of the page. Seems like the pictures are messed up. Part number is correct for Kurt's website though Part# TRE69045
I believe the photo is not correct, but the kit is the right one.

The TRE69045 is absolutely the correct kit for the LHD 40 Series, the thumbnail is correct (5-piece kit) but the enlarged photo is showing the 60 Series kit. I'll get that taken care of. We have plenty in stock and would love to help you out. We do offer individual ends as shown here: http://cruiseroutfitters.com/steering.html

As you would imagine there is a great cost savings in the complete kit versus the individual ends. Thanks and let us know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom