Steering box adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a lot of play in the steering on my '77 fj40. I've had it looked at by a few people and they say that the problem is in the steering box and that it needs to be adjusted. I have seen several posts that talk about steering box adjustments, but haven't been able to find any info on how to do it. Is there an easy way to adjust the box? or a link to any sites that may be helpful? I would like to try adjusting it before I spend the $$ for a new box.

Thanks!!

Nut and set screw on top of box , you can tighten up a little bit but usualy will not get all the slop out of it. Make sure all the other componets are in good shape . Have someone turn the wheel and look for any slop in the steering gear . good luck

It depends on what the slop is due to. If the nut and adjuster screw has loosened up and backed out, they by all means set it.

If the slop is due to worn out sector shaft bushings, then tightening the adjuster won't help and may hurt by making the steering too tight and cracking the box casting if you hit a bump or pot hole.
Watch the big nut on the end of the sector shaft while someone rocks the wheel back and forth. If the shaft wobbles as opposed to just rotating, then the bushings are shot. Replace the bushings first and then adjust the screw.

X2 on don't just blindly adjust the 'adjuster' until you KNOW where the slop is.

X99 on read the FSM for the proper procedure for this.

On the early boxes, it was a simple matter to remove shims to compensate for wear. Here is a link to my site where I show you how easy it is.

The newer boxes are just a bit different. Jeff Zepp has a write up on his web site showing a rebuild of his 1976 box. Jeff Zepp's Home Page

There are variables involved in adjusting a 20 or 30 or 40 year old steering box that were not and are not considered by the FSM.

Once the apex has been determined (which is different from centerline) I would still only make adjustments in 1/8 turn increments and test drive after each adjustment.

This YouTube video is just another illustration of the old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as well as my saying that the FSM is not the Bible.

There are variables involved in adjusting a 20 or 30 or 40 year old steering box that were not and are not considered by the FSM.

Once the apex has been determined (which is different from centerline) I would still only make adjustments in 1/8 turn increments and test drive after each adjustment.

This YouTube video is just another illustration of the old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as well as my saying that the FSM is not the Bible.
Ok hold on, I just turned it a full turn and a half and tightened it up and just drove 10 miles and feels good I think.
What’s the danger involved though? Should I back it out a bit and see if it still feels good ? Or just leave it ?

Hi again guys. Does anyone know if there is any inherent danger in turning the screw too much ?
I ask cuz I’m always driving with kids in the truck etc. I adjusted it 1-1.5 full turns, feels great but I’m just not sure if something Wrong or bad can go inside if it’s turned too much

There are two potential issues.

1) Over tightening will prevent the steering from self centering after a turn, which can be dangerous until you get used to having to turn it back.

2) If the pitman shaft bushings are worn and you tighten the nut without replacing the bushings, you can crack the gear housing when you hit a bump.

1) Over tightening will prevent the steering from self centering after a turn, which can be dangerous until you get used to having to turn it back.

2) If the pitman shaft bushings are worn and you tighten the nut without replacing the bushings, you can crack the gear housing when you hit a bump.
Well it’s Straight from a rebuild so I think everything is new inside I guess I’ll back off until it starts feeling loose again and then retighten and snug it down

Thanks a lot pinhead

'Less is more' applies to steering box adjustment. Tighten all the slop you can out of the box, but ONLY to the point where the steering still returns to center after going around a corner. Too many people adjust the box for a nice tight center-position (where all the wear is) and then it's stiff at the turning extremes. You don't want that. You have to split the difference and accept that adjusting the box will make it better, but not perfect.

All good advice here.

Artie, jack the front end up so there’s no resistance in the steering. If you feel any stiffness as the steering moves across the apex, it’s too tight. If not, you’re probably good.

Sorry for the spotty input; super busy;too many irons in the fire. I’m beginning to feel like I shouldn’t reply at all because my ability to follow up is limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom