My Boy Blue - 1973 w/ 3FE + Cruise Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

After only 8 years since I started this project I finally have my rig road worthy. I started with a 1973 that already had 1976 2F and axles swapped. I decided to put in a 3FE from a 1991 FJ80 and an H55 5-speed. I also added mini-truck PS and soon will convert the A/C compressor to onboard air. Here are the details:

• 1991 3FE
  • Entire front has Fj80 wiring harnesses
  • All FJ80 relays and fuses
  • H55 5-speed w/ split xfer case
  • Mini-truck PS
  • Stock FJ80 Cruise Control
  • Soft top map light
  • Rear heater
  • OEM fog lights
  • Modified stock wheels with 33x12.5
  • OME 2.5" lift

The best thing I did was put the stock cruise control in. Nothing like taking a long trip and setting the cruise on 70 to relax my foot. The toggle switch on the dash is actually a 4 position joystick for the cruise control

See my other threads for specifics. I don't have the build pics - but they are just like everyone else's. Next stop is body work.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to see.

PS. It's dirty from driving in the snow...
Side View.jpg
Engine bay1.jpg
Whole dash.jpg
D side engine.jpg
Front view.jpg

I am a new member and reading all I can, but have not read too much on the swaps people are doing to their 40's. This is Very nice. I did not see the 4-position toggle you were talking about on the dash... Did the 3fe require frame mods to fits the 40..?? Also, I have heard of the mini-truck power steering option. Is that the gearbox, and PS pump / bracket etc..?? I will do more reading on that as I would like to add PS to new rig someday... I definitely like what you have done here... Nice job..!!!

Very nice work. I like all the space in the engine bay. What did you scavenge the fuse box under the hood from and what does it control?

Regarding your VSS, did you connect the T-case VSS lead to the ECU as well as use it to run your cruise control? I am in the midst of my 2FE build and was planning on using a T-case VSS to provide the signal to the ECU. However I am not sure the T-case VSS will provide the correct signal to the ECU. I'm interested to know if this can be done.

Regarding your VSS, did you connect the T-case VSS lead to the ECU as well as use it to run your cruise control? I am in the midst of my 2FE build and was planning on using a T-case VSS to provide the signal to the ECU. However I am not sure the T-case VSS will provide the correct signal to the ECU. I'm interested to know if this can be done.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=674/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd48.htm

A unit like this is programmable to your VSS and its pulses per mile

Wow, wish you were a little closer, I'd beg you for a drive! I'm collecting parts for a 2FE/5speed swap and have been dying to ride in a 40 with a similar set up.

How does it drive? I have a 350 in now and it's brand new more or less and it is tough to think about pulling out a new motor to put in an older motor with less power.. but at the same time I really want to get it back to more Toyota and I miss the low end umph of the 6.

Very nice work. I like all the space in the engine bay. What did you scavenge the fuse box under the hood from and what does it control?

The fuse box under the hood has EFI Main, headlight, horn relays and some fuses. See below.

Check my thread on the VSS: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/40-55-series...-3fe-swap.html

If you want the minimum hassle and aftermarket stuff just use the VSS in your speedometer. You just need the 4 pulse version (you'll have to confirm that for the year of your engine). The xfer case VSS is for cruise control only and connects through the stock harness to the CC computer, not the ECU.

I actually did not have the speedo VSS connected when I was driving it initially. After connecting it up it idles differently when slowing down (I think).

Attachments

• RB2.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 221
Wow, wish you were a little closer, I'd beg you for a drive! I'm collecting parts for a 2FE/5speed swap and have been dying to ride in a 40 with a similar set up.

How does it drive? I have a 350 in now and it's brand new more or less and it is tough to think about pulling out a new motor to put in an older motor with less power.. but at the same time I really want to get it back to more Toyota and I miss the low end umph of the 6.

I drove a '69 with a 350 in it. It is not quite like that. But I can spin the wheels if I want. I drives great. I regularly drive 70 - 80 and it much has more pedal to go. I can even accelerate uphill in 5th gear (most of the time).

Last edited:
I am a new member and reading all I can, but have not read too much on the swaps people are doing to their 40's. This is Very nice. I did not see the 4-position toggle you were talking about on the dash... Did the 3fe require frame mods to fits the 40..?? Also, I have heard of the mini-truck power steering option. Is that the gearbox, and PS pump / bracket etc..?? I will do more reading on that as I would like to add PS to new rig someday... I definitely like what you have done here... Nice job..!!!

Here is a close up of the joystick switch I use for cruise.
IMG_4195.jpg

Also here is a shot of the cruise control actuator - it's the black box in lower left. The PS pump and A/C compressor are shown also.
IMG_4189.jpg

I did not need any mods for the 3FE but I added a cross member for the 5-speed. The engine had to be lowered a bit also to get the angle right. I also had to cut the rear drive shaft and extend the front drive shaft. Here is PS gear box. I use stock FJ80 cooling lines that run under the radiator housing.
Exhaust.jpg

I will be mounting all the indicator lights soon. The harness has 4WD, Check Engine, Cruise Active, Water temp, Oil, Low Fuel, and Charge warning. I haven't decided if I will use the stock transparent plastic indicators or just use LEDs.
IMG_4195.jpg
IMG_4189.jpg
Exhaust.jpg

The fj62 ecu works with the older 6 pulse VSS in the speedo also, I imagine the FJ80 ECU will as well. It only needs to know if the truck is moving or not, it does not need to be accurate. If the VSS pulse train is missing completely, it will throw a CEL.

The fj62 ecu works with the older 6 pulse VSS in the speedo also, I imagine the FJ80 ECU will as well. It only needs to know if the truck is moving or not, it does not need to be accurate. If the VSS pulse train is missing completely, it will throw a CEL.

I wondered about that. I noticed a little something different when I hooked it up but I'm not sure exactly what it does - idle perhaps. Anyway, I went and found the 4 pulse speedo (which was not easy). It just happened to have 500 miles more on the odometer than the engine I swapped in. So all is good.

How does she run? I am contemplating what to do with our LX450's motor/tranny/ecu after the diesel swap.

Very timely tlc4x as this is what I have planned for my recently acquired 77 40 and I am in the process of acquiring the necessary parts and information for the project.

Since you offered, I have several questions about the process. It seems to me that having a complete donor vehicle would be the best way to proceed as opposed to getting every piecemeal (time and money). This was mentioned somewhat, but I would like to know how you handled this--how did you source everything and at what cost?

I would also like your opinion of how the 3fe compares to the 2f as far as running performance and gas mileage on the highway.

Great work by the way.

Thanks, John

Very timely tlc4x as this is what I have planned for my recently acquired 77 40 and I am in the process of acquiring the necessary parts and information for the project.

Since you offered, I have several questions about the process. It seems to me that having a complete donor vehicle would be the best way to proceed as opposed to getting every piecemeal (time and money). This was mentioned somewhat, but I would like to know how you handled this--how did you source everything and at what cost?

I would also like your opinion of how the 3fe compares to the 2f as far as running performance and gas mileage on the highway.

Great work by the way.

Thanks, John

Hi John,

I actually sourced everything piecemeal. I got the engine from Jonathan at TLC and proceeded from there to assemble the rest. I believe pappy on here got me the desmog ECU and I found a donor at a junk yard in LA. It took a bt of searching to get everything including EBAY for random parts - like the noise filter and igniter.

As far as performance? . . . the 3FE is hands down better than the 2F. I fouled the plugs on the 2F at 65 or 70 mph. I can drive 80 now and not even notice. Gas mileage is crap either way. Is 14 better than 12? Eh. I get about 15 highway only and down to 5 in 4wd. City is somewhere around 12. I will try to get a vid of the rig running this weekend.

Can you describe or post up a picture how you mounted the MAF? I assume it is bracketed to the fender or engine and not floating in space? I fabbed a simple bracket to hole it up from the engine but think it may be better to support it from the fender to isolate it from engine vibrations like Mr Toyota did. Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom