FJ80 PS pump / "stock" PS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm fairly new here and this is my first real thread. I've done a lot of searching on power steering and never saw what I am doing now. So I thought I'd share.

I have a '91 3FE motor (with all the fixin's) that I was going to swap into my '73 FJ40 (with a 1976 2F). After reading the copious amounts of data on here, I don't think I'll do it any more. So, looking at that PS pump I thought, "that looks like it will fit."

Long story short, I mounted the stock FJ80 (3FE) power steering pump, bracket and pully on my '76 engine block on the passenger's side. It mounts where the engine hoist goes. I will have FJ80 style lines made to go from one side of the truck to the other to mount into my "stock" ps box. I might even run the return lines up in front of the radiator just to get that "stock" cooler feel. I tried to reuse the tensioner and A/C compressor, but they are too different. I would need the engine mounts and they don't seem to work for the 2F.

I guess I'll just sell the engine now. Too bad, it has great compression, 70,000 miles and everything, sans PS pump. Even have 2 wiring harnesses and the ECU.

The only thing I needed was a new water hose (Gates 21222) and new belt (NAPA 22545).

Pics to follow...

-Chris

Last edited:
Here is the donor motor...

3FE.jpg

The PS pump bracket close up...

PS bracket.jpg

The 2F bolt pattern...

2F bolt pattern.jpg
3FE.jpg
PS bracket.jpg
2F bolt pattern.jpg

Last edited:
It fit perfectly...

PS pump installed.jpg

Had to change the water pump to thermostat hose...

water hose.jpg

With the new hose and belt...

new water hose.jpg

I'll post more on the lines and final product as I get there. I also plan to put my rebuilt H55F in it and rear disc with E-brake. If anyone can give me advice on removing the parking brake on the H55F split transfer case I'd appreciate it.
water hose.jpg
new water hose.jpg
PS pump installed.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone can give me advice on removing the parking brake on the H55F I'd appreciate it.

Very cool, thanks for the pics.

I do not follow your comment. An H55 would not have a parking brake. A split t-case (non-US) *may* have parking brake on it - Is that what you are asking?

Damn! You mean I just spent a lot of time making a bracket for the mini truck pump and I could have just gotten a bolt on pump and resovoir? :rolleyes:

Very interested in this. Keep posting pics of the hose routing and what the ends are. How does the belt tension get adjusted?

The pump bracket has a tensioning system on it. Basically just swing it up or down. There are other tensioners ont he rest of the brackets but they would not fit onto the 2F.

@Pablo

Yeah, I mean transfer case. I mistyped. If I don't use the parking brake drum assy then it looks like I wont need to do anything to my crosmember nor my rear driveshaft. Just wondering where I can find the parts and what is involved in reverting it back.

I'm still evaluating using it. I had a couple other posts and most people seem to think that it is the way to go, especially since it is already installed. I'll let ya know.

On the PS front... I picked up a low pressure hose from SOR today. It's perfect! One side will attach to the high pressure port of the pump and the other to the low pressure port of the steering box. Those were the only hard to find parts I needed.

Next week I'll go to Orme Bros and get some temporary soft lines until I can get the hard lined fab'd.

I'm adding an electric choke, sealed baffle and higher vent chimney to my carb this weekend.

I just bought all the hoses and fittings today.

High pressure is 16mmx1.5 to -6AN on pump and box
Low pressure is 17mmx1.5 on box clamps on pump

I'm using 90 degree connectors on the box and a 45 degree connector on the pump. I bought 10 ft of hose for the routing. I'll post some pics when I lay it out.

Now all I need to do is find 4 BBs (lost them when I dismantles the box) and cut mu steering column.

Last edited:
5.53?

Toyota typicaly did not do things that way..

Well, that's what they are. Equivalent is 0.218". I have a very precise digital caliper and measured a load of them. 5.53 is a "standard" ball size, just hard to find.

Success!

Some items to note:

1. There are 45 chrome balls in the worm gear. I lost a couple when I dismantled it. To reinsert them you need to take off the recirculator and insert the balls in the top hole. Insert the worm gear about 0.5" and then start loading in the balls. Rotate the gear slightly each time you insert a ball. If you need to back out the gear, hold the balls in place with a punch or something of suitable size. This way you can screw it in and out to make the balls all fit. Next, secure 11 balls in the recirculator using grease. Insert the recirculator and screw down.
  2. I routed the PS lines along the frame and in front of the radiator. There are holes in the frame suitable for adel clamps to hold it down. It takes about 8 feet of hose.
  3. I used a 17-1.5 to -6AN and a 16-1.5 to -6AN on the PS housing and a 16-1.5 to -6AN on the pump.
  4. The steering column needs to be shorted by 1" - 1 1/8". I am in the process of getting it cut down...
Pictures to follow.

I swapped out the soft lines I bought for FJ80 hard lines. Very nice fit. They also make a nice cooler as they run along the frame.

And finally the pics:

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG

This is where the power steering bracket is stock on right hand drive 40's. The problem with this set up is the alternator is down under the smog pump much closer to the mud :crybaby:

The 3FE bracket look like our right hand drive 2F bracket. Holes in the 2F and 3FE heads are the same for mounting.

This is the reason I run my power steering on the USA side with the alternator above the air con pump as high as possible.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...steering-issues.html?highlight=power+steering

Last edited:
I don't plan on doing serious mudding at this point. But I too am gearing up for a 2F-E conversion. I am getting a late model 2F with the holes for the PS on the left. So I will use the hard lines as a cooler for the return at that time. Not much I can do about the alternator though. I am seriously considering a supercharger and I will need the holes on the right high side for an adaptor bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom