Starlink RV roaming version, initial test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"Starlink for RVers and other mobile users" facebook group. I can't remember when, but apparently SL had disabled in motion for the regular dish - but it's back on now.

That was a while back before they came out with the RV option and pay the extra $35.

Ready to roll off the grid!

BD7C3E91-2BFC-44A4-B4DF-61006AF3A969.jpeg

AF419400-D1B6-4535-AA5B-66661C6798EC.jpeg

5ACDDDAB-159E-43AB-9437-0085EE94B83C.jpeg

Nice !! .. I have a couple questions.

How did you run the wire into the vehicle.. what path did you take?

Love the side lights what model of rigid are they?

Amazon product ASIN B07YLMZD35
cable is not permanently installed. it's carefully tucked between the hatch and the tailgate. The only permanent route i can think of is going front towards the windshield C-channel, and then all the way back to the interior rear using one of the lower stock grommets.

Amazon product ASIN B07YLMZD35
cable is not permanently installed. it's carefully tucked between the hatch and the tailgate. The only permanent route i can think of is going front towards the windshield C-channel, and then all the way back to the interior rear using one of the lower stock grommets.

Thanks, Nice setup.

I'm doing mine either Friday or next week.
I was thinking of running it down the rear cargo hatch and then either removing the tailgate bridge and coming in that way. or through the existing hole that is behind the rear bumper skin on the passenger side. The other option is like you said the front c-channel.

This is nuts. We’re at Big Bend and getting faster speeds than my cable internet at home 😂

81BAC08E-1CAC-440A-A2B6-EF029285C390.png

Today I tested the RV compared with the residential version, the residential is getting 120mbps and the RV was getting 80mbps. I did not round off those numbers.

I'm not sure if this is due to the angle of the RV being flat where I could see the residential version moving and following the satellites.
The advantage to the RV version is you don't need to give it a location. The disadvantage is if you park under heavy cover you can't run that sat dish out 150 feet to the clearing.

Last edited:
This is great information. Thank you. Now for the release of the fully mobile version to use while driving.

That was the compare between the fully Mobile "RV" unit (see my previous picture) and the Stationary one.

Driving around with the RV unit it is getting 20mbps when under tree cover and from 60 mbps to 200mbps in general while in motion..

Driving around with the RV unit it is getting 20mbps when under tree cover and from 60 mbps to 200mbps in general while in motion..
What part of the country, if you don’t mind me asking?

We got far better results on a trip out west than we do at home in the south east.

We have the 2nd gems dish with portability FWIW.

What part of the country, if you don’t mind me asking?

We got far better results on a trip out west than we do at home in the south east.

We have the 2nd gems dish with portability FWIW.

Florida which is not officially setup for coverage yet. Think they said 2024 or 2025.

i.e. a very bad coverage area. Most areas will get better speeds for sure.

Last edited:
Florida which is not officially setup for coverage yet. Think they said 2024 or 2025.

i.e. a very bad coverage area. Most areas will get better speeds for sure.
We’re in the same boat in our home location. It’s 30 mbps most of the time with brief periods of 100+.

Guys and Gals,
Can you say how stable the connections are?

I’m contemplating getting Starlink for a camping trip to Wyoming and Colorado.
My wife will work part of the time so needs a steady connection. Nothing blazing but there can’t be too many drop-outs.

From earlier posts in this thread, it seems the speed fluctuates quite a bit, but a zoom call only requires about 3mbps. So speed isn’t an issue. But getting kicked off of calls would be bad and she would take it out on me. Hence my interest.
So, can anybody comment on how steady the connections are?

Also, does anybody have experience with the links from valleys in Wyoming? We will be in the Bridger Teton national forest and have massive views of the skies with no trees obstructing. But it’s still a valley and I don’t know how wide an angle of the sky one needs to be able to see.

Guys and Gals,

My wife will work part of the time so needs a steady connection. Nothing blazing but there can’t be too many drop-outs.

From earlier posts in this thread, it seems the speed fluctuates quite a bit, but a zoom call only requires about 3mbps. So speed isn’t an issue. But getting kicked off of calls would be bad and she would take it out on me. Hence my interest.

Also, does anybody have experience with the links from valleys in Wyoming? We will be in the Bridger Teton national forest and have massive views of the skies with no trees obstructing. But it’s still a valley and I don’t know how wide an angle of the sky one needs to be able to see.
Leave her in charge of the mobile internet solution - problem solved.

That was meant in jest, but could save you some headache. That sounds like an awesome trip.

Guys and Gals,

Keep in mind that this is a wireless connection making handoffs to multiple satellites at 350 miles away. That being said, I had great connections while on a trip to Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico last summer. Obstructions should be avoided if you’re using it for video calls.

You can download the Starlink app even if you don’t have service and use it to scan for obstructions. Maybe try this while at home so you can get an idea of what it needs regarding the horizon and see if you think it will be ok in those valleys.

Depending on the intensity of your wife’s wrath this may not be worth the risk.

FWIW here is a screenshot of my latest outages of 0.1+ seconds. I’m in the southeast so it’s not exactly representative of what you will encounter on your trip, you should have better access than me. My dish is completely unobstructed. Maybe someone closer to your destination can chime in or share their outage info.

IMG_5183.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom