Starlink RV roaming version, initial test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
96E90577-D6A9-40CA-ABF4-22E1C0AD2194.jpeg
4680E16E-1EC3-4B40-B56F-878AC86D8609.jpeg
D271170F-B254-4583-ACE1-785629AD7701.jpeg

I posted earlier about this...

Also better off using the roof top angle mount.

Last edited:
I posted earlier about this...

Also better off using the roof top angle mount.
I have not solved mounting yet, this was just a test near home. I’m thinking of mounting to a pole attached to the tent slot rail.

That stand you have there is good for when you park under a tree, then you can put the dish away from the vehicle where it has good line of sight to the sky.

It's really a slick setup. We go up the mountains to a cabin where the cell service sucks, and with this we can have cell and run the high def TV's. and high speed internet.

I take it you figured out the "stow" option where the dish folds down for transport. Then you turn off the stow for it to find the satellites.

This is a cool link.

Last edited:
I second the angled roof mount. I’m not attaching to my LC but, instead, on my Conqueror roof which is metal… magnets seem to be best for my application.
BE52D80C-9DDB-4EF9-8D36-2C6CBA3F300D.jpeg
My Starlink arrived 5 days ago so no tests in the woods but at my house it’s running pretty good. We’re rural so it’s a low bar for improvement.

For those who are carrying this for camping/overlanding, what are your plans for the cable management? I’m on the fence on cutting mine and adding some rj’s to shorten it for when it’s mounted on my camper while keeping the excess for an extension if I need to move it further away for unobstructed sky. For us, this is more of a novelty item and I really don’t see a lot of use for us while camping, we purposely try to get away from cell service just to make it easier to really disconnect. However, having a means to connect if a legitimate need arises is attractive.

Do you know the name of the cable end that StarLink is using? I wonder if you can just buy shorter versions of that cable from some where.

Been considering getting on the waitlist. I would only need service a few months a year while traveling. Curious to know the contract terms. For the service, can you opt to pay monthly or is it an annual service fee?

Do you know the name of the cable end that StarLink is using? I wonder if you can just buy shorter versions of that cable from some where.
Here’s a good article. Appears to be proprietary.

Been considering getting on the waitlist. I would only need service a few months a year while traveling. Curious to know the contract terms. For the service, can you opt to pay monthly or is it an annual service fee?
Website says it’s monthly and you can pause service.

I selected the RV service which is monthly. I plan to leave this active at my hangar when not traveling though.

For those of you considering ordering I recommend getting these accessories when you order:

- Shorter cable (75ft)
- Ethernet Adapter
- Wall mount (This also comes with a dish storage bag)

IMG-2187 (1).jpg

It’s cat5e with a proprietary connector. From everything that I’ve read, you can put a regular rj45 and rj45 coupler on it and be ok.

It’s cat5e with a proprietary connector. From everything that I’ve read, you can put a regular rj45 and rj45 coupler on it and be ok.

New model is CAT6 shielded, but I think they are using a different pin-out for POE. But yes, you can use standard rated rj45 cat6 connectors to customize the cables as long as all the connections are straight through.

New model is CAT6 shielded, but I think they are using a different pin-out for POE. But yes, you can use standard rated rj45 cat6 connectors to customize the cables as long as all the connections are straight through.
Weird. Both my Starlink dish that arrived this past Tuesday and the 150 foot cable that came today are both cat5e.

2794C37D-0436-446C-83FC-54A3F31C5127.jpeg
58A84ED6-53CC-4BE5-BA47-4EF46E051669.jpeg

I selected the RV service which is monthly. I plan to leave this active at my hangar when not traveling though.
nice. I didn’t see that RV option last time I looked. Just ordered. Thx

Both the residential and RV cables, and both 75 and 150 are CAT5E. I'm not sure what the commercial version is using?

That RV account type is new, it was not there when I ordered. I'm not sure how the priority in selecting your new location works between a portable account and an RV account.

They said this on the site: Network resources are always de-prioritized for Starlink for RVs users compared to other Starlink services, resulting in degraded service and slower speeds in congested areas and during peak hours.

It sounds like the RV gets lower priority, but has the advantage of turning billing on and off.

This is extremely interesting to follow--a friend and I were out in the woods last week and he had to work a couple days which resulted in us spending 3 hours finding an adequate camping spot where he could get enough signal that his WeBoost bumped it enough to let him use his phone to hotspot so he could do some Zoom meetings. I apparently have been living under a rock because I had just read about Starlink the week before we left so we talked about it extensively while we were out there. For his use the RV service is ideal given he could turn it on and off depending on when he goes out in the woods. And since he'd be far from cities and likely congestion the de-prioritization is less relevant. I sent him this thread last night and he sent me his order confirmation 15 minutes later. I will be excited to mooch off of him and try it out later this fall

This is extremely interesting to follow--a friend and I were out in the woods last week and he had to work a couple days which resulted in us spending 3 hours finding an adequate camping spot where he could get enough signal that his WeBoost bumped it enough to let him use his phone to hotspot so he could do some Zoom meetings. I apparently have been living under a rock because I had just read about Starlink the week before we left so we talked about it extensively while we were out there. For his use the RV service is ideal given he could turn it on and off depending on when he goes out in the woods. And since he'd be far from cities and likely congestion the de-prioritization is less relevant. I sent him this thread last night and he sent me his order confirmation 15 minutes later. I will be excited to mooch off of him and try it out later this fall
yep, this is exactly my use case while traveling this summer and working remote.

Here’s my speed test from this morning at Lake Pillsbury, Mendocino NF. The Starlink is pulling 45 watts from the Yeti, and I’m getting about the same from my 50w panel.

C6EB42DF-03AA-462C-866A-A5A38EDFB6BD.png
327B5543-797D-4112-87BC-84E393F86716.jpeg

I ordered the RV version and it's due to arrive next week while I'm away on a work trip. Sounds like it's AC powered. Guess it could run off the small OEM inverter but would require ACC on. Not a problem, I've got a Yeti 1500x which will do the job and then some.

@tincan45 - I ordered the Ethernet adapter just in the rare case I would ever need it and the wall mount you suggested but not sure why I would need that wall mount camping? I held off on ordering a shorter 75 ft cable because it doesn't seem consistent on what length of cable Starling is shipping with the RV version on any given week. Currently, Starlink doesn't seem to be providing a lot of technical detail about the kit but then again it was just released weeks ago.

Looking forward to using it as I have several upcoming roadtrips w camping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom