squeal, smoke, no starty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
drove the 60 yesterday and it started making a slight squealing like a belt was slipping. today started it and it really started squealing and smoking and now it won't start at all. it just squeals when i try to start it. it has been desmogged, so that would not be it. one belt looks a bit worn. others look ok. alternator is new. crankshaft pulley is new. everything else, i don't know. best place to start, or most likely culprit?

tia,

pat

water pump seezed up?

Does the motor turn over with the starter? Have you looked under the hood while it was being turned over, or tried to turn some of your extra junk by hand?

Could be isolated, too. There's a chance you could have blown that fusable link again, and that your water pump is shot, too.

Aren't you glad you didn't sell that f'ing thing now?!?!

motor does turn over with the starter, but the squealing starts right away.
i tried to turn some stuff by hand, but not much success. i was thinking water pump too, but exactly how do i tell?

yeah i am so glad i kept this thing :rolleyes:

gumby drives it 1100 miles down here with no problems and i've driven it probably 10 miles and this happens.... :mad:

patride71 said:
i tried to turn some stuff by hand, but not much success. i was thinking water pump too, but exactly how do i tell?

Remove the belt (s). Then you can turn everything by hand. Should also be able to start it and run it briefly with no belts. (Not long though as the waterpump won't be working.) If you remove the belts, and it runs with no squeel - then it's something that a belt connects too...

Patty ya gotta get someone to look at the engine while someone turns it over...as said above. look for things that are not spinning ;)

maybe gumby just had the magic touch even though he is a heman2fhater...

i poked around under da hood and figured out the belt that was not moving was the smog pump/water pump belt. my rig is desmogged, but the smog pump is still there since it acts as a tensioner. my best guess is the smog pump is what is locked up as i assume the water pump would not seize? :confused:

anyway, if its the smog pump what are my options? i don't want to buy a smog pump for a desmogged rig. but on another search i saw where if no smog pump the cat would get plugged up? don't get that since the pump is bypassed and basically is just acting as a pulley at this point. should i just buy a used smog pump and install?

man its going to be a pain just to remove it. i can't even get my ratchet in to loosen the tensioner part of it.

oh yeah, i my a/c is pretty much shot, but i do enjoy power steering, so Jman's "fix" is not an option..... :D

Easy - SOR has a smog pump eliminator pulley kit. It's $200 but wow, go figure, it's friggin' SOR.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat048c.tam?xax=5050

head to the bottom of the page.

It would probably be cheaper to find a used smog pump and put it in place, but the PS pump leak is going to lock it up, too - or getting it wet, or whatever the hell yoiu did to it. Probably find you a good cheap pump on ebay or here somewhere...double check it though, make sure it's not the water pump.

swank60 said:
Easy - SOR has a smog pump eliminator pulley kit. It's $200 but wow, go figure, it's friggin' SOR.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat048c.tam?xax=5050

head to the bottom of the page.

It would probably be cheaper to find a used smog pump and put it in place, but the PS pump leak is going to lock it up, too - or getting it wet, or whatever the hell yoiu did to it. Probably find you a good cheap pump on ebay or here somewhere...double check it though, make sure it's not the water pump.

ok, so how do i tell if its the water pump or not?

Cut the belt off and try spinning the fan/water pump and the air pump by hand.
One of them is going to be stuck, most likely the AP. :frown:

See this thread for a less expensive, more reliable smog pump replacement idler:
smog pump idler

You'll need a new belt also, seeing as how it's burned up and cut in 2 now. ;p

patride71;
Lets assume the engine runs and is making loud squeeks. Get a 3/8 inch wood dowel, place one end on the water pump and the other end to your ear. You will hear the bearing noise for sure. Do the same for other components. Don't get the dowel caught in the fan. You may be able to have the air pump rebuild. Buy a new water pump if that is the problem...
dfm

its def the smog/air pump. i cut the belt off and couldn't budge the pulley on the pump. pulley for water pump/fan turns easily. i think i'm going the JMan route and going to get a smaller belt and bypass the power steering pulley.
i just don't have the money or time, with my move going on, to deal with the pump or getting a SMOG PUMP IDLER (promo) from TLC. ;)

anyone got the specs for size belt needed if no power steering?

yeah i know....do a search. :flipoff2:

ok i see from doing a search the its the same size belt as the a/c belt.

can't figure why my air pump froze up. doesn't look like my power steering pump has been leaking on it..... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom