squeal, smoke, no starty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got er runnin....

called the yota dealer and was quoted about $28 for a fj40 belt w/no ps, which i think would work, but i didn't want to drive and spend that much. went to carquest and bought a 50" 1/2" width belt, which is basically the same as the a/c belt on the cruiser. it works, but the belt is pretty loose, since it is not as wide or thick. i have the alt tensioned as much as it will go and its still loose, but i drove it around and it doesn't seem to be slipping. its been a while since i drove w/o power steering though, so that was fun. i think its good enough to get me from austin to san antonio. then i can just park her in the garage and save up some $ and time to get a "new" smog pump or buy one them there pulleys from tlc.

:cheers:

ok...this is a blast from the past here. i am finally getting around to dealing with my lack of a smog pump and no power steering. i wanted to get a pulley installed instead and jim c with tlc sells them from what i have seen, but i don't know if he still sells them or what. i sent him a pm and an email with no response. i did not see tlc online when i looked. any other places sell these that someone knows of???

tia,
pat

If the air pump was just being used as an idler, you can remove it, open it up, remove all the seized up crap inside, and replace it. Then you'll have a very inexpensive idler that can't seize again.

Not to hijack your thread too much, but is it possible to have something like the air pump or power steering pump seize temporarily then free up again? When I was camping in the Sierras last season I tried to start up my truck one morning and I got the same symptoms patride71 got (very loud squeeling, smoke, hard to start).

I looked under the hood while my wife turned her over and I could see the belt was slipping on something, but not sure what. Finally I just decieded to gas it I think, and it went right back to normal, no more squeal or smoke. Hasn't happened since. Is this a sign my AP is going out?

ok...this is a blast from the past here. i am finally getting around to dealing with my lack of a smog pump and no power steering. i wanted to get a pulley installed instead and jim c with tlc sells them from what i have seen, but i don't know if he still sells them or what. i sent him a pm and an email with no response. i did not see tlc online when i looked. any other places sell these that someone knows of???

tia,
pat

Keep trying Jim C. He will get back with you.

There may be others that sell a similar pulley (don't know) but I 'think' I saw a thread within the last couple of weeks indicating he still sells this.

Good luck, John

i agree with winston.

you'll need to take the pump off anyway. take it apart and you'll find these graphite-like blades. they break easy and can jam it up in there. i would try and gut the thing and see if you can make it spin. might save you some $.

Not to hijack your thread too much, but is it possible to have something like the air pump or power steering pump seize temporarily then free up again? When I was camping in the Sierras last season I tried to start up my truck one morning and I got the same symptoms patride71 got (very loud squeeling, smoke, hard to start).

I looked under the hood while my wife turned her over and I could see the belt was slipping on something, but not sure what. Finally I just decieded to gas it I think, and it went right back to normal, no more squeal or smoke. Hasn't happened since. Is this a sign my AP is going out?

Mine did the same thing once. Froze up, I identified it was in fact the air pump, and then had some lunch. When I got back to it I found it was free. It seized for good a couple days later. Sounds like you should have positively identifed where the problem was coming from in order to know what was going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom