SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dumb question: For driving around ski resort areas like Mammoth or Tahoe, I think the roads are generally plowed. So, I'm guessing an LX570 with K02 will be okay w/out chains. However, it weather is really foul and chains are required for all, on which wheels do I install chains? I'm reading on the web that for AWD, chains on all 4 wheels is recommended. But when I read the manual, on one page, it says install chains on the front wheels "... purchase a set of tire chains for the front tires" but then on a subsequent page it says to install on the rear wheels "Install tire chains on the rear tires."

So: 1) is it fair to assume that I won't need chains at all except under the most extreme weather conditions where roads will likely be closed and I should just stay indoors anyway - if 2wd w/ chains are okay, I should be okay w/o chains; 2) if I really do need chains, install on which wheels?

Here's a thread with a lot of discussion. I believe the only "approved" method regarding chains is on rear wheels only, and on factory-approved tire sizes. Deviating from that is a risk you must be aware of.

Dumb question: For driving around ski resort areas like Mammoth or Tahoe, I think the roads are generally plowed. So, I'm guessing an LX570 with K02 will be okay w/out chains. However, it weather is really foul and chains are required for all, on which wheels do I install chains? I'm reading on the web that for AWD, chains on all 4 wheels is recommended. But when I read the manual, on one page, it says install chains on the front wheels "... purchase a set of tire chains for the front tires" but then on a subsequent page it says to install on the rear wheels "Install tire chains on the rear tires."

So: 1) is it fair to assume that I won't need chains at all except under the most extreme weather conditions where roads will likely be closed and I should just stay indoors anyway - if 2wd w/ chains are okay, I should be okay w/o chains; 2) if I really do need chains, install on which wheels?
With non studded tires like the KO2s, you won't need chains for snow but you may need them for ice or very hard packed glossy snow aka ice. You may need them to comply with California's law though, to be allowed to drive on certain roads at certain times. Like was alluded to above, the rear wheels are safer as far as interference issues with brake lines, abs wires, etc. With your front wheels turning, higher profile chains can do some damage in a hurry if they contact anything. Hence the factory tire size warning.

I think factory size was not available in the K02 - I think I have 285/55/20 while factor is 285/50/20. I can't remember exactly - need to check again - but in any case, I think the K02 is about 5-10% higher profile than factory. So, does this make it a no-go for chains - may interfere with lines and wires? I'll read the suggested thread to see if there is any info there. Thanks.

Don't rely on KO2s if the roads are that bad. They are ok in fresh snow. However on packed snow and ice, like I've said before, they are dreadful. If the roads are that bad, I'd just wait it out. Even with chains, may be impassable. Here in Idaho, if chain law is in effect then I'm asking myself...is it worth the risk to me and my family? I run a dedicated winter tire on our 200. Even with a dedicated winter tire, I'm constantly evaluating the weather. If you need chains, IMO, emergency use only.

What @liv2bike said.

Fresh-fallen snow on KO2s is great, and plowed snow is ok too if still
powdery.

If icy at all though? Watch out.

Not picking on KO2. They are great tires. Just really scary on ice. Discovered 2 weeks ago that Ridge Grapplers don’t do well with icy stuff either, (and pretty much no ATs do). In our local mountains recently, while recovering one truck...truck after after additional truck hit a small partially icy bit above where we were helping the first...and they slid & got stuck immediately exactly the same way. Lucky for them, it was a slow, access road at low speed. We did 5 recoveries that looked ridiculous there...because it was a very tame looking stretch.

Last edited:
Just to be clear for the inexperienced like me: if the roads are open to 4wd/awd with AT tires or 2wd with chains, it's good to go. If chains required for 4wd, find a place to wait it out. Just trying to clarify and understand how I can judge if the road is too icy to drive. I assume that there is some ice on the ground if there is snow on the ground / is snowing. But you guys are talking about more severe icy conditions?

Or should I be re-think driving with the K02's if chains are required for 2wd?

Just to be clear for the inexperienced like me: if the roads are open to 4wd/awd with AT tires or 2wd with chains, it's good to go. If chains required for 4wd, find a place to wait it out. Just trying to clarify and understand how I can judge if the road is too icy to drive. I assume that there is some ice on the ground if there is snow on the ground / is snowing. But you guys are talking about more severe icy conditions?

Or should I be re-think driving with the K02's if chains are required for 2wd?

Disclaimer:
There are snow experts here.
I’m not one of them. But...

Ice can be present right in the middle of otherwise snowy/powdery/grippy or clear pavement.
When in doubt...get out.
***If your shoes/boots slip anywhere on the road, your tires will too...and tires can be worse, because they can push through a top powder to find ice just below. So have a look

Here a very tame looking spot from 2 weeks ago:
-Mostly grippy snow...but just one strip of it got icy-slick in narrow strips and boom...
-5 separate trucks couldn’t get out without Maxtrax or winch. My ATs were slipping too:
Tame:
1576205710753.jpeg

Another time in Wyoming, I nearly rear-ended a Sheriff vehicle in Jackson’s Hole. -Not snow covered streets or chains required. -Just enough icy sheen so I couldn’t stop even at super low speed...with KOs. Just be careful and don’t rely on whether they say no chains. If it’s cold enough for ice.

Last edited:
Wow. That doesn’t look bad at all. I’m going to plan on never being first in line. I’ll plan to follow at least a car or two. I can’t tell by looking whether the road is okay or not.

Wow. That doesn’t look bad at all. I’m going to plan on never being first in line. I’ll plan to follow at least a car or two. I can’t tell by looking whether the road is okay or not.

I don't mean to be spooky! :)
I honestly LOVE driving in snow.
Just don’t be lulled. AT treads have nothing to grab when it's suddenly ice.

Last edited:
I have run HD off road chains on the rear axle of my 200LC with with a 2 inch lift and 275/70-18 (33.2") and 275/65-18 (32.2") with 1.25" wheel spacers and w/out wheel spacers, no problem.

I would NOT put any chains on the front of my 200LC unless I was running under sized tires below stock diameter. Even with the "S" class 1/2 inch limited clearance chains or cables. Steering hard left or right is were we loose clearance in the wheel well and fenders.

I have run HD off road chains on the rear axle of my 200LC with with a 2 inch lift and 275/70-18 (33.2") and 275/65-18 (32.2") with 1.25" wheel spacers and w/out wheel spacers, no problem.

I would NOT put any chains on the front of my 200LC unless I was running under sized tires below stock diameter. Even with the "S" class 1/2 inch limited clearance chains or cables. Steering hard left or right is were we loose clearance in the wheel well and fenders.

Very good to know. Thanks!

My KO2's are nice and warm, tucked away for the winter in my basement. They are absolutely terrifying on packed snow and ice. Nokian R3's on the job.

Btw this and the pics, I'm getting a little concerned about going to the snow. I haven't seen snow in decades. I like to get snow tires but I can't justify the cost for a weekend in the snow. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people behind me..... :)

Btw this and the pics, I'm getting a little concerned about going to the snow. I haven't seen snow in decades. I like to get snow tires but I can't justify the cost for a weekend in the snow. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people behind me..... :)

It’s good to be concerned but roads to most resorts are kept up. At least ours are. Just pay attention to the weather. If there’s winter storm watches or warnings posted then I’d rethink it. You’re asking the right questions. Just be prepared.

About the pissed off people behind you...ignore them. They’re the ones that’ll end up sliding off. Speed will get ya every time when the roads are snowy and/or icy.

Hi Dan. I'm an avid skier from SoCal and have seen it all through the state in Big Bear, Mammoth, or Tahoe through the 25 years of ski trips.

A major reason I own the LX and the mods I have is for this very type of travel. To avoid ever dealing with chains again.

Generally in CA, if it were bad enough for them to enforce chain install on a 4WD, especially one with tires rated with three-peak mountain snowflake symbol, the road will have been shut down. The enforcement will only be to ask if you're carrying chains. I don't even bother carrying chains anymore and just say yes, I have them.

Back to tires, I specifically sought Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws for their cold weather performance (3W in the name for wear, winter, and wet performance). I've had AT tires on my LX470 that weren't great in snow and cold weather. As I don't live in snow country, I needed a single tire that does great in all conditions. I'd say the KO2s are not ideal as they tend to use a firmer compound that turns hard in cold weather. The Falkens have absolutely performed great in the mixed, and sometimes severe ski weather I've come across.

Am I the only one who finds the LC remote fob to be absolute trash? As garbage as it is, I'd rather 2 keys, one for the ignition the other for the doors. Hell even that crank start would be better than this.

Am I the only one who finds the LC remote fob to be absolute trash? As garbage as it is, I'd rather 2 keys, one for the ignition the other for the doors. Hell even that crank start would be better than this.
I have never had a problem with it. Both before and after the YOTAMD shell, it works flawlessly. I never take it out of my pocket.
You might have a low battery, or be in an area with some interference?

Are you referring to the extremely short range? If so, there's a whole thread on here about the reason that it's so short, and a mod to add a better antenna and relocate it to a better spot. Sounds like it improves the range by an order of magnitude.

Both the extremely short range, and how temperamental they seem to be. Some days, few quick presses, everything is fine, some days I can lay on the buttons with all the pressure in the world, nothing. I've swapped batteries, and it's both remotes. I dunno, I guess I'm used to other ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom