SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having a clunk noise occasionally when I start moving from a dead stop. It does not happen everytime, but I have noticed it definitely happens if I have stopped kind of hard. I am assuming it is drive shaft related and might need to be greased?

The sound is as if the trans drops or something along those lines. However, within the past 10k I have had trans, TC, diffs, and oil all replaced. Trans shifts smoothly thru all the gears, AND don't have any drop feeling which changing between any of the gears (P,R,N,D)

There are a few threads on a re-call on the "drive shaft clunk" you can check out. Other than that I noticed a remarkable difference after greasing front and back drive shafts over the last 10k miles (two oil changes). Very smooth now compared to before. Also a few threads on DIY greasing of drive shafts.

Having a clunk noise occasionally when I start moving from a dead stop. It does not happen everytime, but I have noticed it definitely happens if I have stopped kind of hard. I am assuming it is drive shaft related and might need to be greased?

The sound is as if the trans drops or something along those lines. However, within the past 10k I have had trans, TC, diffs, and oil all replaced. Trans shifts smoothly thru all the gears, AND don't have any drop feeling which changing between any of the gears (P,R,N,D)
Lube the drive lines?

When I got my rig at 105k, with all prior maintenance at the dealer about as close to every 5k on the dot as you can get, the front driveline appeared to not have been touched since new. There was zero grease sling and the stuff that finally did come out when I greased behind it was very nasty. Rear shaft appeared to have been greased on schedule.

I didn’t have a clunk, but I add this post just to point out drivelines aren’t the top of the maintenance list even on “well maintained” vehicles.

When I got my rig at 105k, with all prior maintenance at the dealer about as close to every 5k on the dot as you can get, the front driveline appeared to not have been touched since new. There was zero grease sling and the stuff that finally did come out when I greased behind it was very nasty. Rear shaft appeared to have been greased on schedule.

I didn’t have a clunk, but I add this post just to point out drivelines aren’t the top of the maintenance list even on “well maintained” vehicles.
That's exactly why I ask if I am on the right track of thinking it is drive shaft related. I've seen your posts and others about the maintenance with DS and learned a lot from what has been posted. I'll be sending you a PM for help on what to get to take care of this.

What I have learned on mine is driveshaft greasing helps. I greased when I first acquired the vehicle. What you described improved somewhat. A couple of thousand miles later I did it again. I am hopeful that after three greasings within 10k miles and then staying on it every 5k-10k miles will clear the last little bit of thump/bump.

I think driveshaft greasing is often overlooked especially if not all of the oil changes were done by a conscientious DIY or the dealer.

Last edited:
I have had my 2014 LX (64k miles) for three months and getting familiar with its behavior/characteristics.

I have noticed that when driving around 20-40mph range(especially in traffic) the drivetrain will USALLY make a thud/shudder when I lift-off or press the gas pedal. Is this normal? I do not hear/feel anything when moving from a complete stop.

Is this the same as drive shaft clunk or something different?

Thanks...

Not at home at the moment or I’d look it up in the manual.....but how do you reset the “oil maintenance required soon” nag on a 2010LC. The dealer didn’t reset it at my last oil change....:bang:

Not at home at the moment or I’d look it up in the manual.....but how do you reset the “oil maintenance required soon” nag on a 2010LC. The dealer didn’t reset it at my last oil change....:bang:

From my maintenance spreadsheet:

“Maintenance required” reset
Switch to trip meter A, shut off ignition.
While holding ODO/TRIP button turn ignition on (but do not start engine)
Will display “resetting maintenance data” or similar with progress bar

I went to look for something in the glovebox of my ‘13LX in the dark. I was surprised there was no light in there. The engine was off so I turned the parking lights on and still no light.

Is it supposed to have one?

Say, can the second row seats slide back? For extra legroom? I've looked at many pics, hard to tell what those buttons on outboard side do.

Say, can the second row seats slide back? For extra legroom? I've looked at many pics, hard to tell what those buttons on outboard side do.
Yes. There’s a range of fore and aft movement available and the seat back angle is also adjustable. I’m 6’1” and can ride in the back comfortably. It’s not the best back seat I’ve ridden in but it’s far from the worst.

Thank you- seems like every dealer pic has them all the way forward. Feels like my 100 has extra room despite the 4" gain in overall length.

When going to an independent service shop like Discount Tire, how should I tell them to lift/jack up the vehicle to prevent damage?

When going to an independent service shop like Discount Tire, how should I tell them to lift/jack up the vehicle to prevent damage?
The 200 series is a very robust structure and any traditional jacking methods should be fine. Many sports cars have to be lifted carefully, the LC is not in that category. The 200 is no more complex to jack than a ten year old Chevy truck.

As long as they lift it by the frame, it will be fine. Anybody using a lift should be trained on how to do this.

Just hope they don't lift it by the body, like you would with a uni-body car. This will happen if they do:

y18nfazminbz.jpg

Last edited:

There are a few threads on a re-call on the "drive shaft clunk" you can check out. Other than that I noticed a remarkable difference after greasing front and back drive shafts over the last 10k miles (two oil changes). Very smooth now compared to before. Also a few threads on DIY greasing of drive shafts.
What I have learned on mine is driveshaft greasing helps. I greased when I first acquired the vehicle. What you described improved somewhat. A couple of thousand miles later I did it again. I am hopeful that after three greasings within 10k miles and then staying on it every 5k-10k miles will clear the last little bit of thump/bump.

I think driveshaft greasing is often overlooked especially if not all of the oil changes were done by a conscientious DIY or the dealer.

As has been mentioned, the clunk is most likely from the slip yoke in the rear driveshaft. There is even a Toyota TSB about it, and an updated part (new driveshaft) you can buy from Toyota that will fix it. Greasing it will help, but it will not eliminate it, and repeated greasing will not "cure" it over time. Interestingly, the problem is not caused by play in the splines as many think - instead it's caused by the slip joint temporarily locking up or binding (preventing compression or extension of the shaft) as torque is applied/removed.

The new shaft fixed my clunk (2008 LC200 w/ 170k on it at the time) and all is silent now. IIRC, the shaft was around $400-500. Not exactly cheap, but SOOOOO worth it to have a clunk-free truck again.

There is no reason to believe the driveshaft clunk will harm anything, so if you don't want to drop the coin for the new part, I'd just grease it often and live with the noise. You can also disassemble the slip, clean it thoroughly and brush the thickest, nastiest grease you can find in/on/around each spline and reassemble. Continue to grease via zerk as usual. On multiple vehicles, this has proven to provide the most effective and long-lasting cover-up of the clunk.

Your owners manual provides pics you can show to discount but basically the front spots are on the frame under the bend nearest the front doors, and the rear is under the axle tube.

You’ll most likely get weird looks and “we know what we are doing, we do this all day” but read on.

The 200 series is a very robust structure and any traditional jacking methods should be fine. Many sports cars have to be lifted carefully, the LC is not in that category. The 200 is no more complex to jack than a ten year old Chevy truck.

I disagree. Discount bent my skid plate by jacking under it, and they even used the strongest spots. Our stock skids are great for wheeling but they aren’t budbuilt or designed to support the weight of the front of the vehicle by themselves.

Your owners manual provides pics you can show to discount but basically the front spots are on the frame under the bend nearest the front doors, and the rear is under the axle tube.

You’ll most likely get weird looks and “we know what we are doing, we do this all day” but read on.

I disagree. Discount bent my skid plate by jacking under it, and they even used the strongest spots. Our stock skids are great for wheeling but they aren’t budbuilt or designed to support the weight of the front of the vehicle by themselves.
Point taken. My point is the jack points are pretty standard for a body-on-frame design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom