Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can’t wait to see how this build goes.

20200712_170500.jpg
20200712_170524.jpg
20200731_213351.jpg
20200731_221627.jpg
20200806_224507.jpg

Worked on all the rear wiring yesterday. It's not fully done yet and I'll take some final pics tonight.
Yes that's the OEM sub woofer bracket I modded to hold my inverter. I did the same thing with my Turbo80 build. There are pics of it somewhere in there too. I did a much simpler build with this one. Trying to keep this heavy pig as light as possible.

20201227_143212.jpg
20201227_143220.jpg

Last edited:
So, you're sayng it's pretty much a stock rig then... :rofl:

Last edited:
Anyone interested in buying Rear 4" Dobinson Flexi rear coils and rear shocks for 4-5" lift springs (measure similar to OME L shocks). These are brand new in box and never installed. The coils are still unopened in box. The shock box exploded at my door step. One of the tie wraps popped when it was delivered. Shock paint not scratched and looks new still. I think I tossed the box.

C59-615V 4" REAR Coil Springs
GS59-687 4-5" Rear Shocks ( See GW Nugget master thread for shock/suspension info (

I was going to go 4" Flexi's but after re-evaluating my 3" Tourflex. It wasn't enough lift for this build.
Retailed for $570 + ship/etc. I'll take $500 cash for it. Can meet up in San Jose/South bay area.

When I read “dedicated crawler” I think chopping, bobbing, and tube work. I’m seeing headlights, fancy interiors, and swing outs. Let’s get to the chopping!

Seriously though, the springs aren’t your flex problem - it’s the radius arms. And if you’re expecting this truck to wheel like a built mini you’re in for a disappointment - which maybe you already know since you had a mini?

I suggest leaving it at 4” lift (or less if you don’t intend to change suspension geometry) and bumpstop or cut the fenders. Look at Broski’s build for inspiration - he’s taken a “stock suspensioned” full body 80 about as far as you’d want to.

Looks like lots of cool mods to come! Good luck.

Anyone interested in buying Rear 4" Dobinson Flexi rear coils and rear shocks for 4-5" lift springs (measure similar to OME L shocks). These are brand new in box and never installed. The coils are still unopened in box. The shock box exploded at my door step. One of the tie wraps popped when it was delivered. Shock paint not scratched and looks new still. I think I tossed the box.

C59-615V 4" REAR Coil Springs
GS59-687 4-5" Rear Shocks ( See GW Nugget master thread for shock/suspension info (

I was going to go 4" Flexi's but after re-evaluating my 3" Tourflex. It wasn't enough lift for this build.
Retailed for $570 + ship/etc. I'll take $500 cash for it. Can meet up in San Jose/South bay area.
What springs are you considering?

When I read “dedicated crawler” I think chopping, bobbing, and tube work. I’m seeing headlights, fancy interiors, and swing outs. Let’s get to the chopping!

Seriously though, the springs aren’t your flex problem - it’s the radius arms. And if you’re expecting this truck to wheel like a built mini you’re in for a disappointment - which maybe you already know since you had a mini?

I suggest leaving it at 4” lift (or less if you don’t intend to change suspension geometry) and bumpstop or cut the fenders. Look at Broski’s build for inspiration - he’s taken a “stock suspensioned” full body 80 about as far as you’d want to.

Looks like lots of cool mods to come! Good luck.
Yeah I know i'm going to be disappointed in flex from my mini. But I'm building this so I can take my kids. I already faced the fact that I'm giving up a lot of crawling ability to carry the kids and it is what it is. My mini truck was bobbed and had a flat bed. I'm NOT going to do the same with the 80. Unless I crush the cab then I'll do a UTE build. We'll see where it goes after this year of wheeling. Not my first cab swap and splice cut. I don't like doing them but they are pretty fun to work on.

I've always been a fan of HID retro's. Been doing retro's since the early 2000s. It's one of those things I have to have is nice lighting.

My fenders are already pie cut inside. I might need to trim more fenders once I go 6".

I already bought the DeltaVS 6" radius arms. I was really leaning on buying the 4 link kit from RuffStuff and linking the front. But we'll see how the Delta arms do first. I want to try it first. I've also heard good reviews about flipping the radius arms as you get more flex that way too. I've seen his build and taken a few tips from his that I will be applying to mine eventually.

Edit: One thing I want to keep is it's streetability to and from trails. I don't have a tow rig but have a car trailer. I usually use the Turbo80 to pull stuff but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to pull an 80 with another 80. Yes, the Turbo has plenty of power to tow. I'm more worried about the brakes not being able to stop all that weight!

Last edited:
Sold the mini truck. The 80 is inferior in every way except for person capacity as a rock crawler . But sometimes you have to make hard choices in life to bring the kids

Edit: second thought the 80 is far superior in driving on the street then the mini.
20201127_185531.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom