Spring hanger pins are seized (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,
I’m trying to put new bushings on my fj40 leaf springs. The spring hanger pins on the front ends of my rear springs are totally seized up and stuck really bad in the old original bushings. They’re stuck in there like cement.
For anyone that has had a similar experience, what method did you use to free the spring hanger pins from the old bushings.
I was considering using a drill bit to try and drill the bushings out, or heat. but really not sure what the best idea is to resolve.

thanks a lot in advance for any help you can provide.
Regards
Danny

You can sneak a thin (1mm) cutting disc up between the hanger and the spring and just cut them.

Many have resorted to a torch and burning them out. Take precautions, have a fire extinguisher handy, and don’t breathe the toxic black smoke.

I think I may have drilled holes in mine the first time… 30 years later I only remember that they were a pain.

I burned mine out with a torch, punch/BFH, and a couple cold brews.

heat is your friend in this situation

the flange end can also be rusted in the bore of the hanger

once heated to help break the bond between the rubber and steel pin, either use a port a power to push out, a pipe wrench to twist it, air hammer works well also.

I hope you are replacing the spring pins also. the old ones will be all pitted and rough, not worth re-using in my opinion.

Mine were so seized that I had to use a cut-off wheel on my angle grinder to separate them from the frame. Center pins rusted, expanded and became one with the hardened rubber. Sawzall won’t cut the pin so don’t bother. I was fortunate that the springs were being replaced so I could get closer to them than the frame. It would be difficult to cut between those and the frame without any resulting damage. I tried everything else, cut-off wheel was the only solution. Assuming the springs are free… Then if you want to remove them from the spring eye, you will need to drill out the rubber, use heat and a hammer then clean out the remaining bits using drifts/chisels, small rotary tools, whatever it takes. Good luck

One side freed from bushings, one side had to be cut to remove spring from frame.
A5ECE5F5-8D9E-42E3-AC22-BD555B688E6D.jpeg
DB8530CD-2E5E-4FB0-B146-2F818B3267A5.jpeg

It’s the twenty first century, Sawsall and Diablo brand carbide tipped blades. Cuts like butter and the pins are cheap.
Ultra thin cutoff discs on an angle grinder… like a hot knife through butter. :D

Heat, BFH, and a pickle fork. Tried the pickle fork too late in the game but it would have really helped get that extra leverage once I had gotten some gap in-between the pin and hanger. Also, since the pins are just gonna be trash in the end just keep the nut on partially to give more real estate for those hammer blows. (But don't forget to pull the nut before its too smashed up or gets stuck against the inside of the hanger wall

Sawzalls are a wild ride if the blade binds. I remember when I was trying to cut the body mounts off of my ford bronco to replace them. My dad gave me a sawsall and said get er done. Half way through cutting the rubber, the blade stayed in place then me and the saw went for a ride. Good times :) good times

No word from the OP.
😥

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom