Spare Tire Mod ... Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Until I can get a rear bumper I will live with this mod. Very cool whoever came up with this.

I used .5" x 2" nips on the cross member and .5" x .75" to lower the hand crank.

I had to grind a small piece out of the pinch weld so the notch was bigger ... works great ... looks better.

Painted everything with industrial strength Rusto
STmod1.jpg
STmod3.jpg
STmod2.jpg

I had to grind a small piece out of the pinch weld so the notch was bigger ... works great ... looks better.

What pinch weld are you refering to?
Good call on the Rusto, I need to get me some of that!

Looks even better with a factory 50 litre reserve tank above it.L.O.L.

This has been the cleanest spare tire mod that I've seen. What size/thread bolts are you using?

What pinch weld are you refering to?
Good call on the Rusto, I need to get me some of that!

If you look at the first pic ... left corner ... you will see what looks like a lip. This lip has a notch where the crank tool for lower the tire goes through. That notch had to be ground out even more so the tool will go through and reach the hand crank for lowering the tire.

You may not need to do this if you used 40mm long bolts on the handcrank. I used 30mm long bolts and had to shave off a little on the spacer. If I would have had 40mm long bolts this would have dropped the crank .25in. If I had an aditional 1/4 inch drop I would probably not have had to do any grinding.

Last edited:
This has been the cleanest spare tire mod that I've seen. What size/thread bolts are you using?

Cross member bolts were ... 8x1.25mm and 70mm long

Hand Crank bolts were ... 8x1.25mm and 30mm long

Heads on the bolts I used were 13mm instead of 12mm

I would use 40mm next time on the hand crank bolts ... I had to shave off a little of the spacers to get the 30mm to work.

How much lift on the spare tire did this net you?

I bought the galvanized nipples in 3/8" diameter instead of 1/2" The bolts are stainless and I'll post pictures when I put them in this weekend.

Looks good...waiting for pics.

Gonna put my spare inside. Move it out from the bottom side when I get in the sticks and I'm tired of that s***. Bumper mount or inside. for me. At this time, inside will be the best until the bumper is built and put on. Got a good idea from Slee and will try to get some pics where and when its done.

Like the raise of the mount...may change my mind.

:beer:

What size tyre are you getting to fit under your LC.
Good idea! I must say:D I wounder if I could fit my 33'' mt under my LC It would be better there than on the roof:mad:

Looks even better with a factory 50 litre reserve tank above it.L.O.L.

No it looks better if its not even there cause there is a 45 GALLON RESERVE TANK there........:lol:

Nice work :beer:and thanks for the details on the parts used. Everytime Im walking up tho my truck I notice how low that darned spare hangs. One day i swear.......

I just finished this mod and with gettn2's write up it went smoothly (thanks). I did notice in the first pictures it looks like you had welded on the nuts? I was able to screw the bolts right into the exisiting threads on the main bracket and on the crank assembly. I did have to shave a little off of the 2 in. nipples for the 70 mm bolts to screw into the threads. I am very pleased with how high this brought the spare tire up and away from the hitch.

If you look at the first pic ... left corner ... you will see what looks like a lip. This lip has a notch where the crank tool for lower the tire goes through. That notch had to be ground out even more so the tool will go through and reach the hand crank for lowering the tire.

You may not need to do this if you used 40mm long bolts on the handcrank. I used 30mm long bolts and had to shave off a little on the spacer. If I would have had 40mm long bolts this would have dropped the crank .25in. If I had an aditional 1/4 inch drop I would probably not have had to do any grinding.

if you use 40mm bolts for the handcrank...would you have used longer pipe nipples? (nipples :lol:)

barrypt5

This old thread reminds me to let you guys know that I did a little damage to my sidewalls from the tire being extra high and rubbing on the 1" seam on the underside (See 1st pic top left corner). Maybe some black plastic to protect door edges from dings and chips would work here to protect your sidewalls? I now have a rear bumper carrier but just thought I would let you guys know what I noticed on my Coopers.
2-Spacer_Up1.JPG

Last edited:
i just did this mod last night with the 70mm bolts and 40 mm bolts and 2 inch pipe for the cross member and and 1 inch pipe for the crank. took about an hour and a half. a tip on the "seam". I took some small diameter rubber vacuum line and cut it down the middle and used silicone and attached it to the seam to protect the sidewall. worked great. here's a pic.
seam.JPG

Last edited:
The 44 gallon sub might be useful for some.

However I might rethink my own thinking on that subject if that makes any sense............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom