Sourcing AC Parts - Old vs. New (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
At some point, I have GOT to put AC in the '84. Assuming I can find someone parting out a compatible truck with AC - which parts are worth getting? The easy answer is "all of them." But these are parts that A. May be shot. B. I'll be paying to ship. I know I want all the brackets, dash components (cables, etc.), the "plumbing"... but what about the compressor, condenser, dryer... Aren't there parts that I want start with new?

Thanks!

If you can, get a new evaporator coil and expansion valve. These will be the hardest items to get at so I would go new. I've had great luck with remaned Denso compressors too. You are gonna want a new filter dryer (receiver dryer) and a O-ring kit. I wouldn't see an issue with a used condenser just run some A/C flush through it. Its all the little brackets, hard lines and hoses that will nickel and dime you.

The stupid AC switch for inside the cab that turns the AC on and off. There are far and few on eBay and most go for $100. I just broke mine and had to replace it.

They only reason you may need to purchased a used compressor is for the top plate. I don’t believe they’re available on their own. You’ll also want the AC tensioner bracket too.

Last edited:
Mudder is right about the top plate. I completely forgot that I had to do this exact thing to get my A/C lines in the proper configuration. What year is you engine?

I fit an aftermarket I think it was called Pacific condenser on my 87. Has a lot more cooling exchange capacity than the original 4Runner with the added rows. You'll want this added performance in hot humid regions like the south east as r134 isn't as efficient as r12. It also significantly lowered my operating temps and pressures.

I was able to easily find OEM dryer and expansion valve.

If you can't get the little ac amplifier to work it's not the end of the world. You can install a trinary ac pressure switch on the high side line to cut power and operate an electric cooling fan. These are available on any hot rod parts site like jegs or summit who sell vintage air parts.

I chose to wire my set up where the cooling fan is on if the ac is on. So I only use the cut off portions of the switch for the high/low pressure. I found it worked better this way in city bumper to bumper 90+ degree heat.

I added a couple 5 prong relays to power both the electric fan and ac compressor. Still running the original blue light up ac button to power my relay.

Damn... back to thinking I need to pillage a complete, in-tact system from another '84 - to make sure I get the top plate, hard lines, brackets...

I don't have any spare hard lines but I do have a complete compressor from an 87 if it will interchange with yours. Not sure if the compressor is good but I would sell you the hard plates for whatever the forum regular going price is shipped. I personally wouldn't try an old used compressor as refrigerant isn't cheap although now I test the system with cheaper alternative gassss before I put in the 12 dollar a can stuff

Here’s a really solid write up that has a good list of things you’ll need.

So, I'm planning to do this long-term in my 82. The biggest issue I have is finding the inside parts (heater core and blower). I got lucky and found the engine bay parts, so I know these are out there.

I chose to wire my set up where the cooling fan is on if the ac is on. So I only use the cut off portions of the switch for the high/low pressure. I found it worked better this way in city bumper to bumper 90+ degree heat.

I added a couple 5 prong relays to power both the electric fan and ac compressor. Still running the original blue light up ac button to power my relay.
I like these temp controllers for electric fan control. It can control the speed of the fan based on needs and has a/c input control plus is reliable for the high current an electric fan draws.

@Manhattan , it's not too hard to put together a working system from generic parts but, if you want original I agree with getting all the parts from a donor. I'd want a new or reman compressor, new dryer and expansion valve. Denso preferably. There are evaporators and condensers available still. The evaps are usually a big block of dirt since there is no cab air filter and dust loads up on the condensation on the fins. Heater cores can go either way. Good to go or leaky.

The extra (86) A/C box I was saving for you looks like it had mice chewing holes in it. I opened it up to test fit a parallel flow evap from a Corolla and it was crumbling.

I'm getting ready to pull parts off my 88 and start test fitting it all on my 86. I also bought that other 86 Xtra Cab so I'm going to use what I need and I'll offer up what I don't. I'm using the OEM stuff in the cab, custom hoses, 3.4 compressor and amplifier and non OEM parallel flow stock replacement condenser. I was already running it on my 88 but now I have a shock tower in the way so I need to reroute lines.

I don't have any 22R brackets or the compressor. What I do have is either 1986 or 1988.

Looks like most of the A/C hoses and small items are still available through Toyota but that will nickel and dime you to death. Have you tried calling a auto dismantler and see what they would charge for every single last little piece needed for an A/C conversion (minus compressor)? I would image they would cut you a decent deal. I am always seeing complete Toyota pickups come through the auto dismantlers near me in Rancho Cordova, CA. Are there any out there? Also, if you find hoses and pipes that are junk but free/cheap, you can have them rebuilt. This is what I did. If you want need any photos of A/C stuff let me know.

I just installed ac in my ac and picked as many trucks as I could. Here are the items I have

Qty 3) 4 pin wire harness from ac box to harness

1 used ac compressor with top plates 1 plate faces the wrong way dunno why

1 ac bracelet that fits that compressor

All the brackets and bushings to mount the drier and condenser

1 ac evaporate box with evaporator and the output lines

Both hard lines and the L hardline that goes from drier to condenser

If anyone is looking for anything

I would recommend buying a new evaporator, condenser, expansion valve, compressor & dryer if possible. The only OEM parts I'd use would be the lines, compressor bracket & the evaporator box obviously. You don't need the amplifier per say, when I did mine I actually just bypassed it by shorting the two pins on the connector so the compressor was controlled with the switch on the dash.

You'll also need an idle up valve and the A/C button too from a donor rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom