Engine Harness: Manual vs Auto (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1987 4Runner 5spd Manual (getting a healthier engine)
I've got, side by side, two 22RE engines on stands with complete wiring harness attached. One from Auto, one from Manual. They both came from running trucks and prior to pulling, both ECUs would run in either truck without issues (only tested start/run/idle, not driving). I've done manual/auto swaps in other vehicles so I'm generally familiar with the issues, I have an FSM that only provides schematics. Wish I had Electrical Service manual with connector/pin designations, but anyway. The Manual engine is tired, worn out and needs to be rebuilt, it's harness is functional but has been butchered over the years. The Auto engine is tight and runs great, and the harness is pristine and unmolested, only needs a good scrub.

The Auto engine is going into this manual truck. I'd really like to include the Auto engine harness as well. Yes, I'm contemplating putting an Auto engine harness into a Manual chassis. I'm going through all connectors now on the stands and I'm looking for first hand experience with these trucks related to engine harness swaps between 5spd/Auto. A few questions/thoughts and gut check on whether this Auto harness can be converted into a Manual version:
  • Manual Transmission (out for rebuild) appears to only have Reverse Switch (2 wires) and 4WD light (1 wire). Correct?
    • Once I isolate those (3) wires I can cut connectors/bundle off all the other Auto related wires?
  • ECU connectors A and B (from engine bay) appear to be identical in all respects, only one color difference (blk vs blk/wht) . No changes here?
  • ECU connector C (from chassis) I'll have to visit the two chassis and compare/confirm (they are at another location).
  • (2) Chassis connectors will need the bulk of the work. One connector is same style, the other is completely different. A lot of re-pinning here but assuming all wires are here somewhere just need to be rehomed?
If you've attempted this sort of adventure on a first gen 4Runner/Truck I'd love your thoughts and input. "Don't do it, you'll hate life" is certainly a valuable insight so don't hold back.
Thanks, S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom