Sounds like a beehive is in my gearbox while driving in 4H. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could be like Chris said and the deck wasn’t planed. Often between 3 & 4 the head tends to warp and that’s where the gaskets blow. It’s the thinnest point between cylinders.
I really am curious to find out. I have an appointment with a shop that does machine work. But its not until the 29th haha. Which, ironically, was the day I was going to have the power steering gearbox sent to West Texas Offroad lol.

I really am curious to find out. I have an appointment with a shop that does machine work. But its not until the 29th haha. Which, ironically, was the day I was going to have the power steering gearbox sent to West Texas Offroad lol.
One day at a time… one part at a time.
I’ve done the rabbit hole and come through it. Had my head off twice till I finally listened to my gut and ignored the men telling me nothing was wrong… ended up pulling my pan and found metal. Popped up the pistons from the offending poor read cylinders and found them broken. The savings grace is that I “could” do it myself because honestly I was/am too poor to have a garage do it. Plus I don’t trust most garages… if anyone is going to mess it up, I chose it to be me.

One day at a time… one part at a time.
I’ve done the rabbit hole and come through it. Had my head off twice till I finally listened to my gut and ignored the men telling me nothing was wrong… ended up pulling my pan and found metal. Popped up the pistons from the offending poor read cylinders and found them broken. The savings grace is that I “could” do it myself because honestly I was/am too poor to have a garage do it. Plus I don’t trust most garages… if anyone is going to mess it up, I chose it to be me.
I hear ya. Im in the same boat. But this is my only car lol. And I might be having to work in office here soon lol. When it rains...

I hear ya. Im in the same boat. But this is my only car lol. And I might be having to work in office here soon lol. When it rains...
it pours...

Before you go and dump a bunch of cash into it and depending on how much you've already got into it, you might be able to post it up for sale 'as is' and be 100% up front and honest about the condition. Perhaps someone will buy it willingly and it will be a good deal for you both. Just a thought.
I admire your wanting to stay honest. :bounce:

Alternatively, you might as well buckle in for the ride. Because while you're in there....

it pours...

Before you go and dump a bunch of cash into it and depending on how much you've already got into it, you might be able to post it up for sale 'as is' and be 100% up front and honest about the condition. Perhaps someone will buy it willingly and it will be a good deal for you both. Just a thought.
I admire your wanting to stay honest. :bounce:

Alternatively, you might as well buckle in for the ride. Because while you're in there....
Thank you for saying so. And I was giving that some thought...Ill be honest, ill go take a hit on the price, but if I just tell folks that this is a great deal for someone who can do the work themselves.

In my estimation, the truck is actually pretty decent in all areas (aside from the obvious) Its not rusted to hell. The black paint is a draw back for the serious 60 collectors, sure. But I think I could find someone to pay for it while being totally honest with the,. Especially if the block is fine.

Its a tough call lol. I love the thing. I love the way it looks. I dont even car that much about the horrid black paint...

I guess my question is; can the "stop loss line" be quantified?

Not knowing your location, is there a cruiser club near you? Head to the clubhouse section and find the closest one and post up about needing help, perhaps someone can take you under their wing. A set of experienced eyes, ears, etc and a helping hand will go a long way.

This is beginning to read like a can-o-worms, so, let's verify that you do indeed have a blown head gasket. There is a kit for checking the antifreeze and / or oil for the presence of one or the other mixed together, white smoke is certainly a clue, but, not knowing your location other than near the Mississippi, it could be cold out, and the smoke is during initial start up?

Ockham's razor applies here. Great wisdom in the upthread posts, and one possible strategy is to get a loaner vehicle to use while the Cruiser is being attended to. This forum has deep resources to help you fix the engine, the drivetrain, et cetera. I did a head gasket replacement on my first FJ40 as a college student waaay back in 1984, when people were semi-(mostly) hostile to the idea of Japanese trucks in Montana lol.
Helluva learning experience.
Let's see if we can get it back running, without drastic measures and fear of the worst!

This is beginning to read like a can-o-worms, so, let's verify that you do indeed have a blown head gasket. There is a kit for checking the antifreeze and / or oil for the presence of one or the other mixed together, white smoke is certainly a clue, but, not knowing your location other than near the Mississippi, it could be cold out, and the smoke is during initial start up?

Ockham's razor applies here. Great wisdom in the upthread posts, and one possible strategy is to get a loaner vehicle to use while the Cruiser is being attended to. This forum has deep resources to help you fix the engine, the drivetrain, et cetera. I did a head gasket replacement on my first FJ40 as a college student waaay back in 1984, when people were semi-(mostly) hostile to the idea of Japanese trucks in Montana lol.
Helluva learning experience.
Let's see if we can get it back running, without drastic measures and fear of the worst!
Its feeling like a can of worms lol.

It for sure is varified that its a blown head gasket. Ill try to parapharse what my mechanic said...

"it was pouring white smoke out of the back"
"the cap blew off the thing and shot up into the air" (I think he meant my radiator if I recall correctly?)
"Youve got antifreeze and oil mixed in the dipstick area"
"when I try to start it, its just hydrolocking"

These are just some of the things I recall. Forgive me for not being more exact. As he was telling me I went into a shocked state of "oh goodness, here we go" lol.

Well, that's a bummer. Probably the oil filler cap popped off, it's not as secured as the rad cap.
Second opinions are valuable, oil and antifreeze mix is no bueno, could drain the oil and really see how much of a milkshake it is. . .

If the head gasket blows it’s not the end of the world in most cases. Where you end up with problems is when it heats up the engine block enough to cause things to warp out of spec. If it overheated when the PO blew the gasket and they just rebuilt the head and slapped it back on and lower block got hot as a furnace that could explain why it blew the gasket again.

If it overheated again then that could be really bad. The head needs to come off and everything needs to be measured for flatness including the lower block. The bearings and crank need to be inspected. The cam shaft needs to be checked…. Etc… basically you’re looking at a potential engine overhaul. Overhauling a damaged engine can be a big money suck and waste of time.

I would be looking for a donor engine to install or rebuild. I would also be looking for a mechanic or land cruiser club that can give you real honest opinions. Might be 100% wrong on everything I’ve said in this thread. I have been wrong a lot of times and I find myself to be wrong constantly. But what I’ve suggested is based on my own personal experience with land cruisers and other vehicles over the years.

Wish we knew were you were. We would send in the crews to help you out! At least get you a second opinion…

If the head gasket blows it’s not the end of the world in most cases. Where you end up with problems is when it heats up the engine block enough to cause things to warp out of spec. If it overheated when the PO blew the gasket and they just rebuilt the head and slapped it back on and lower block got hot as a furnace that could explain why it blew the gasket again.

If it overheated again then that could be really bad. The head needs to come off and everything needs to be measured for flatness including the lower block. The bearings and crank need to be inspected. The cam shaft needs to be checked…. Etc… basically you’re looking at a potential engine overhaul. Overhauling a damaged engine can be a big money suck and waste of time.

I would be looking for a donor engine to install or rebuild. I would also be looking for a mechanic or land cruiser club that can give you real honest opinions. Might be 100% wrong on everything I’ve said in this thread. I have been wrong a lot of times and I find myself to be wrong constantly. But what I’ve suggested is based on my own personal experience with land cruisers and other vehicles over the years.

Wish we knew were you were. We would send in the crews to help you out! At least get you a second opinion…
This is the opinion that everyone, basically, has been telling me. But I appreceiate the help. I really hop the block is ok and its just a gasket blowing again. However, finding WHY it blew again is my concern.

But I am in MO

This is the opinion that everyone, basically, has been telling me. But I appreceiate the help. I really hop the block is ok and its just a gasket blowing again. However, finding WHY it blew again is my concern.

But I am in MO

I'd start perusing through the MO clubhouse and start making some new local friends! It's a big weight off the shoulders knowing there are others around you who've been through it before and are absolutely willing to help out and love doing so. Many a life long friendships have been forged pulling broken engines from old trucks over the years!

I'd start perusing through the MO clubhouse and start making some new local friends! It's a big weight off the shoulders knowing there are others around you who've been through it before and are absolutely willing to help out and love doing so. Many a life long friendships have been forged pulling broken engines from old trucks over the years!
Ok great, I will take a look!

Not properly re-torqueing the head bolts can lead to premature head gasket failure.

You may want to find out the what the stock head height is and if more than the max amount of .20 mm or .0079 inches of material was removed, or that you are within limits. No amount of replacing head gaskets will fix this.
1647277110889.png

Last edited:
You may want to find out the what the stock head height is and if you took of the max amount of .20 mm or .0079 inches...that you are within limits. No amount of replacing head gaskets will fix this.
View attachment 2952251
What am I looking at here?

Are yo also saying that I should be concerned that the head has already been "grinded down" to its maximum limit POTENTIALLY during the last head gasket rebuild?

What am I looking at here?

Are yo also saying that I should be concerned that the head has already been "grinded down" to its maximum limit POTENTIALLY during the last head gasket rebuild?
That's exactly what hes saying. If you take too much off the bottom of the head the pistons become too tall for the cylinder depth and could slam the top of the cylinder bore in the head. That's an extreme case and would cause immediate failure. Most of the time it's just enough to prevent you from properly torquing the head to the block causing constant premature gasket failure. Basically the head bolts become too long and bottom out in the lower block leaving too much play in between the head and block allowing exhaust gases to pass through the gasket. To make sure it was flattened properly you need to take the engine apart and have it properly measured to be sure it is within tolerance. That's what that chart is detailing.

When this kind of failure happens it's usually because the head has been rebuilt and flattened too many times or someone took too much off the first time it was rebuilt because they didn't measure things properly.

That's exactly what hes saying. If you take too much off the bottom of the head the pistons become too tall for the cylinder depth and could slam the top of the cylinder bore in the head. That's an extreme case and would cause immediate failure. Most of the time it's just enough to prevent you from properly torquing the head to the block causing constant premature gasket failure. Basically the head bolts become too long and bottom out in the lower block leaving too much play in between the head and block allowing exhaust gases to pass through the gasket. To make sure it was flattened properly you need to take the engine apart and have it properly measured to be sure it is within tolerance. That's what that chart is detailing.

When this kind of failure happens it's usually because the head has been rebuilt and flattened too many times or someone took too much off the first time it was rebuilt because they didn't measure things properly.
Where would I be able to find the spec ranges for this? I have my appointment this coming monday with a place. Apprently they work on FJs a lot and know Toyota well.

You may want to find out the what the stock head height is and if you took of the max amount of .20 mm or .0079 inches...that you are within limits. No amount of replacing head gaskets will fix this.
View attachment 2952251
I looked and looked a few months ago and could not find the "stock head height" spec. If somebody does find it, I'd be very interested.

I looked and looked a few months ago and could not find the "stock head height" spec. If somebody does find it, I'd be very interested.
I don't think there is a standard head height spec. They all vary within a tolerance range. I believe you have to measure from the center point of the crank shaft to the top of the block and then do some geometry/math to figure out how much room you have to work with. I am not a machinist and I have never had to do those calculations. I've read enough to know that you can't just mill things flat and throw bearings on the crank and expect everything to line up and run smooth without carefully measuring things and crunching the numbers. Maybe @NeverGiveUpYota has some ideas. She pulled her engine and rebuilt it herself. I know she's done the studying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom