Sound deadener and new seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after two long trips this year I've decided I need an upgrade. With the A/C out at the moment and the seats looking more like a toad stool I figured it was time to help myself out. So I have been eyeballing the PT cruiser seat switch and since the seats were 50 bucks for the pair at the local pick and pull it was a no brainer. Lucky for me a pt cruiser rolled in, or I should say was dragged in, last Wednesday so I went and pulled them on Friday...score. I had also decided if I was pulling the seats then I was going to pull the carpet and install sound deadener and some help with the heat. After a lot of looking and reading and watching youtube videos I am going with some good ole Frost King duct wrap. I am also planning on laying over the duct wrap some reflectix to add to both the insulation and noise factor. So we shall see how this turns out, tonight I got 90% of the interior stripped. I am only going to do the seating area, the doors and the rear quarters, I've got a storage platform in the back so there is no need to waste my time. I'm not sure how others have done it, but I removed the remaining carpet padding that was stuck to the jut with a simple sanding block and vacuum. I've got a little more to sand off and then I'll clean it good and then should be ready to lay the deadener. I do have a small rust hole on the drivers side floor that I'll address, probably gonna clean it out and then glass over and from underneath.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So my carpet is dirty as hell, and the cruiser has never been cleaned like it will be. Does anyone have any ideas on restoring the carpet? I'm thinkin about takin them to the car wash and washing them that way, but I thought I had read a few years back about someone "staining" the carpet to get it back to the blue. I'll do a search and see if I can't find it but if y'all see it first please post it up. Thanks and I'll post some more tomorrow night!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

So how much money did you find? HaHa!

Well I see you finally found that winning raffle ticket and a key to your old girl friends house! Keep us informed on the fit on the PT SEATS I am thinking of going that route too

I'm not sure how others have done it, but I removed the remaining carpet padding that was stuck to the jut with a simple sanding block and vacuum. I've got a little more to sand off and then I'll clean it good and then should be ready to lay the deadener. I do have a small rust hole on the drivers side floor that I'll address, probably gonna clean it out and then glass over and from underneath.

I'm mid stream in doing mine. You should just stop the sanding now...get some simple green and a few of the green/yellow sponges. Spray the simple green on, let it sit a few min then just hit it with the green scrubbing side. All the loose jute came off for me pretty easy....very clean now.

if you haven't bought the sound deadener i'd recommend either getting some fatmat or hushmat (that's what I ended up using)...really easy to work and very good on being temp sensitive...very easy to work with...

If you really want to read up on it...this guy's site is insane with details.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I'm already have the CCF and MLV and plan on adding that in as well. Also, when you have the door panels off I'd highly recommend cleaning out the bottom of the inner doors...if you have half as much crud built up as i did you'll be cleaning it out for quite a while to make sure there's good drainage in there...and that your weep holes are clear. Another must for sound deadening are your quarter panels and the rear tailgate area. Here's a shot of my driver's side floor and one of the inner door panels after cleaning with the simple green.
driver's side floor.JPG door_interior#5.JPG

And good luck...tedious project...but its a good feeling knowing that it hasn't been cleaner than the day it left the showroom floor.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Unfortunately not enough money to retire, and yes I believe that was the winning ticket for the winch at the raffle!

Major, I've seen a few others use the simple green so I'll be picking up a bottle today, love the smell of simple green. And I'm excited about the fact that it will be clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Definitely agree with ya on the weep holes, did you cover the entire door panel or did you just put a strip in there? I've heard of people doing both and curious if one is better than the other.

Thanks

i put in pretty decent strips...wanted to make sure I had good coverage. You definitely don't need 100% coverage, plus its much easier to get it installed using smaller sized pieces. I've only used hushmat, but can tell you its super easy to work with. I basically did the same level of coverage as in the sound deadener site, split it into sections so I was sticking the material on the flat sections of sheet metal. If you want I can snap a picture or two when i get home.

Easy to check after you've installed by just knocking around on the panel for any remaining live spots.

Pics would be awesome Major!

Thanks

Looks like fun! I did a similar install recently (deadener & foam insulation). I decided to take it down to bare metal then an acetone wash. Dry ice, a hammer and beers.
20140817_081232.jpg

I did the dry ice and rubber hammer and that stuff just popped up. Took about $25 in ice if I remember right.
Took the carpet to the car wash and hung it on the wall, and soaped for awhile then lots of rinse. Came out beautiful.

Just saw Simple Green, will also try that next time.

dougbert

i had planned on doing the dry ice as well...but several people said it was over-kill...sure does look nice being removed though.

Well I decided to go the dry ice route, I started off with simple green and the green Brillo pad, which worked but the dirt is what did me in. It was caking so much I just decided to run over to the grocery store and pick up some dry ice. Got 2 bags about 8 lbs and went to work, got all but the passenger floor board and I was gonna leave it but I just can't. Gonna have to get some more on Thursday and finish it up. I also cleaned up the PT cruiser seats with some Turtle brand apolstry cleaner and I am impressed, they were dirty and smelled and I bought it on a whim hoping it worked and it didn't let me down. They even smell nice and fresh, I'm gonna do the rear seat too. Pics aren't the best, I'll take some later in the daylight.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I do have a slight issue on some rust, it is on the drivers side floor by the door. It's on the floor board and not up on the top of the rockers or anything like that. My thoughts are to fiberglass it over. I'd finish wire wheeling the surface rust off it both top and bottom, coat it in POR-15 or an equivalent, and then glass over it in a pretty good section to keep any air from infiltrating any of the area. Which should prevent any future spread. I'm not big on cutting out that section and welding in a new piece of metal cause I don't want to start "Frankensteining" the rig with chop jobs and I think the fiberglass would be and look less invasive. Thoughts??
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks good BG TX, makes me a lil jealous cause I'm not doing the back half with my cargo box/platform there. I am going to do the rear qtrs and wheel wells.

Norsk, I plan on doing the same thing with my carpet...did you use any of that Carpet Paint that you can get in the auto store? I've seen a few threads on it, wondering if it's worth it.

Yuck. Watchout for simplegreen on fabric, it will cause it to break down faster than normal and fade then deteriorate. It is caustic. I use dish soap and laundry soap and a hose if a pressure washer isn't handy. A pressure washer can tear up the carpet if you aren't careful. A little clipper action can get rid of the fuzzy spots on the carpet.

Never heard of the dry ice method. Looking good!

I used simple green and a big wire brush to get the jute off of my floor, worked great but took a while.

I did two layers of sound deadener on my transmission tunnel and one layer on the rest of the floor and in the rear quarters. I never got around to putting any in the doors but I wish I did, Im pretty sure it would make a world of difference to how solid the doors sound when closing them. I also didn't put any on the tailgate because I don't have the carpet on it and I like the bare metal because I use it as a workbench or table a lot.

I just used cheap home carpet padding from home depot, but it would have been a lot quieter if I could have afforded to buy some of the padding that Second Skin Audio sells or something similar at the time.

I took apart the interior a couple times to clean it, and can now have it pretty much torn down to the bare floor in just over an hour. lol
I finished laying down the deadener on a warm sunny day and the foil backed sheets turned my truck into a toaster... find shade when you do it if you can! :eek:

Untitled by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you get the carpet to stay put after you put in the sound deadener? It seems like it would want to move around a lot without any adhesive? What am I missing here? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom