Sound deadener and new seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you get the carpet to stay put after you put in the sound deadener? It seems like it would want to move around a lot without any adhesive? What am I missing here? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any adhesive used from the factory, or if there is it was pretty pathetic! The kick panels, trim pieces and seat mounting bolts hold it in there pretty well.

Pics would be awesome Major!

Thanks

ok, here are some of the shots...tough to see being the inner door. You don't have to do 100% coverage, just overkill for sound (guess it would make sense if you're trying to reduce heat/cold). My door and tailgate sound so solid now...this is more than enough coverage for me. I'm also going to try to add CCF and MLV to the floor and the door panels, q-panels and tailgate. for the biggest effect you have to do the doors and tailgate as there is a ton of resonance with them as is. Hit your floor without the sound deadening, then the door...it isn't even close to which one is louder.

inner door #3.JPG inner door #4.JPG inner door #5.JPG inner tailgate.JPG inner tailgate#2.JPG

for the doors I think you can see through to the large pieces I put in...also at the top of each door (above the handles) there are long strips that go all the way across. I've easily covered over 50% of the sheet metal (probably closer to 75% coverage)...just tried to space it evenly I'll also end up adding some small pieces to the inner door skin as well.

For the tail gate I used 3 pieces on the main section then some on the upper portion of the tail gate. Again I didn't bother going for 100% coverage...staying mainly to the flat portions of the sheet metal. I'll also end up adding something to the back of my license plate to keep that from making noise.

Biggest thing to remember is that this material helps with the rattles and resonance (think hitting a cymbal)....to really quite the interior down you need to do CCF and MLV - again the doors, q-panels and tailgate will have a greater reduction in db vs the floor.

Last edited:
Well only had a few hours to work on the rig last night due to other obligations but I did get a fair bit done. Cleaned and vacuumed the inside and simple green'd it. Probably one more wipe down with it and it'll be ready for install. Since I didn't have time to dry ice the jute in the passenger floorboard I decided to get a seat mounted and it was really straight forward.

First remove this plastic shroud

image.jpg

This slot will be where you thru bolt the rear seat mount
image.jpg

The front mount is bolted at the front and the nut is already welded on.
image.jpg

Here is a side view
image.jpg

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you get the carpet to stay put after you put in the sound deadener? It seems like it would want to move around a lot without any adhesive? What am I missing here? Thanks.

Just a couple shots of 3M spray on adhesive in key locations will stabilize it. Go easy, a little goes a long way.

Well only had a few hours to work on the rig last night due to other obligations but I did get a fair bit done. Cleaned and vacuumed the inside and simple green'd it. Probably one more wipe down with it and it'll be ready for install. Since I didn't have time to dry ice the jute in the passenger floorboard I decided to get a seat mounted and it was really straight forward.

First remove this plastic shroud

View attachment 943521

This slot will be where you thru bolt the rear seat mount
View attachment 943523

The front mount is bolted at the front and the nut is already welded on.
View attachment 943524

Here is a side view
View attachment 943526

So these seats are direct bolt in, no fabrication required? What year PT Cruiser seats did you get? And How big of a bulge upward do those seat side bolsters rise. The aftermarket seats I have are too tall and agressive on the bolster section. I am working with june of 84 fj60, I assume the floor bolts for the seats are the same as yours.

I thought I had taken a bottom shot of the old seat but I didn't, I'll take one when I do the passenger side and show what needs to be drilled out.

This was the best mod I have done, I feel like I'm sitting in a Cadillac. The leg room is enormous, I'm 6'1 and can stretch my leg all the way out and barely touch the front floor board. I'm sitting up taller and the seat is 10x more comfortable than the original seat, it will make the trips a lot more pleasant.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'll have to loosen this mount and twist it around a little to get the bolt to go thru.
image.jpg

Pic of the rust issue, I'm probably gonna por15 it and fiberglass the top and bottom.
image.jpg

So these seats are direct bolt in, no fabrication required? What year PT Cruiser seats did you get? And How big of a bulge upward do those seat side bolsters rise. The aftermarket seats I have are too tall and agressive on the bolster section. I am working with june of 84 fj60, I assume the floor bolts for the seats are the same as yours.

The only fabrication required is to drill out the mounts off the 60 seat and bolt onto the bottom of the pt cruiser seat. Tonight or tomorrow I'll take pics of what to drill and all and take closer pics of the mounting. But it probably took 30 minutes, I was going back and forth cleaning the 60 and messing with the seats. I got my seats from the LKQ for 50 bucks total.

Worked more on the seats tonight and got the rest of the Jute out and cleaned her good with simple green. Gonna let her dry real good and start installing the Frost king tomorrow.

These are the rivets you will drill out on the 60 seats.

image.jpg

Drilled and then knock them with a mallet.
image.jpg

This is the pt cruiser seat and this is the slot that the thru bolt goes through for the rear bracket to attach to.
image.jpg

These are the front brackets attached to the pt cruiser seat, that bolt threads into a nut that is welded to the slide on the other side. It is at the very front of the slide.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Test fitted the seats tonight, I will have to fanagle the rear inside bracket on each seat but that's not a big deal. They fit really nice and the passenger also has a ton of leg room, no more eatin the dash for that person!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Most of the Jute out, the floor board jute is thick and was a pain to get off so if it didn't come off I left it. Also left it on the tranny hump since that gets so hot I figured every little bit helps. So tomorrow the install will begin and I should finish all but the front drivers floor board. Going to use some rust converter, paint it, and then glass it. Then I'll cover it with frost king also.
image.jpg

Looking good! Subscribed, as I am following you down his road soon. (I hope)

gotta keep my eyes pealed for Grey PT seats in fabric or leather.

Great thread - for those guys that have jumped in on their sound deadener process, can you confirm the product you are using, quantity ordered, where ordered from? I am now motivated to do this to my 60...

I'm going with some frost king self adhesive duct wrap from Lowe's, it's inexpensive for what it's used for. I saw a lot of people use it on youtube and decided for the price it wasn't a big gamble. Plus the carpet is going back on it so it's not going to move anyway.
image.jpg

There are a few holes that were cover by the Jute so I got a few plugs to fill them, used 3/8 and 1" plugs, they are a little tight but work.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well worked till about 10 last night gettin the frost king installed, once I got the floor board done I decided to hit the doors.
image.jpg

Got about 90% of the door covered and it makes a world of difference. Once I finished I shut the doors and turned on the radio and what a difference, you can actually hear the front speakers!
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Well after searching around this morning for some POR-15 I am going to have to order it online. So I decided to take the carpet to the car wash, I peeled a majority of the carpet padding off the back and I may end up getting a scraper and adhesive remover and get the rest off. The car wash did make a ton of difference, I couldn't believe how dirty they were. Still have some stains but they are at least clean now.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

Sub'd!! Awesome write-up man! I sooooo want to do this too. Are you still going to add the the reflectix also? I was looking at them both and they seem similar. I'll admit that I'm clueless on the science here. I do know that I would love to have a quiet, insulated from the outside world, ride though. My daily is a VW and I've gotten very accustomed to that sweet quiet, solid German engineering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom