Something timing belt-ish failed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update. I bought an El Cheap remote camera borescope thing today. Much to my relief, so far I haven't found any signs of valves hitting the pistons. I didn't have enough room to get a socket on the crank bolt to turn it over, but so far good news. I did find Bosch Platinum plugs in it, so my guess about finding off brand/chinese parts in the timing area is probably right on.

I'm looking for a good borescope with screw on mirror. One that gives good picture quality. Would you recommend the one you just bought?

I'm looking for a good borescope with screw on mirror. One that gives good picture quality. Would you recommend the one you just bought?

It was cheap. I bought it at Harbor Freight for $75 and it did what I needed it to do. I could see using it often as long as it keeps working. They have one that is $170 with a bigger screen, rechargeable batteries and it can take photos of what it is looking at. The potential of me having to spend a bunch of money on an engine loomed large, so I went cheap.
I just went back out and looked at it. There is a 45 degree mirror included but the quality isn't super and it presses on. It is a tight fit, but it would still make me nervous to put it down a cylinder without being secured better to the end.

I would just install the new timing belt and parts and see if it runs, I wouldn't waste time on details like turning it over by hand.
Once the new belt kit is installed, it's either going to run fine or it won't.
My money is on it running fine.

I would just install the new timing belt and parts and see if it runs, I wouldn't waste time on details like turning it over by hand.
Once the new belt kit is installed, it's either going to run fine or it won't.
My money is on it running fine.

Well, I have to wait for the parts to get in, so it gave me something to do and an excuse to buy a bore scope.
Now I am going to start tearing it apart for the belt.

I am rooting for you Chopperjamie. My 99 has 248K on it and does not appear to have a timing belt done. So it sits parked at the moment until I find time to work on it.

Thanks MaineiacMoose! I understand you not wanting to drive it if you aren't sure the belt has been done with that many miles on it!

A lot of members have had TB fail at speed, with no engine damage. Toyota claims this is an interference motor, but from the posts, I am tempted to say it's not an interference motor

A lot of members have had TB fail at speed, with no engine damage. Toyota claims this is an interference motor, but from the posts, I am tempted to say it's not an interference motor

You're referring to only pre-VVT right?

I am rooting for you Chopperjamie. My 99 has 248K on it and does not appear to have a timing belt done. So it sits parked at the moment until I find time to work on it.
Just did the timing belt on my 2000 with 234,000 miles. Old belt has surface cracks but really doesn't look too bad for the age.

You're referring to only pre-VVT right?
Correct: VVt engine being an interference and causing damage with timing belt break or improper install belt.

I spun the crank of a VVt engine with timing belt off more than 360 deg. I had no interference. But I did not closely check to see at least one or more intake values where fully opened (cam lobe at high point). So I had my doubts that even the VVT engine would be damaged.

But then I saw/received two eye witness reports of damage happening. One was a Dealer that messed up (used "T" as timing mark), so had to buy customer a new engine. They would have made very certain (probably with a borescope) that damage was done.

In the non VVt engine, I've read some say it caused damage. But those lack anything more than assumed just because timing belt broke. On the other hand, we've accounts in mud where timing belt broke while passing on HWY without any any damage. Many other (not necessarily HWY) reports of breaks and no damage.

It is thought that under the right set of circumstance even a non VVt break could cause damage, but that would not be the norm.

Correct: VVt engine being an interference and causing damage with timing belt break or improper install belt.

I spun the crank of a VVt engine with timing belt off more than 360 deg. I had no interference. But I did not closely check to see at least one or more intake values where fully opened (cam lobe at high point). So I had my doubts that even the VVT engine would be damaged.

But then I saw/received two eye witness reports of damage happening. One was a Dealer that messed up (used "T" as timing mark), so had to buy customer a new engine. They would have made very certain (probably with a borescope) that damage was done.

In the non VVt engine, I've read some say it caused damage. But those lack anything more than assumed just because timing belt broke. On the other hand, we've accounts in mud where timing belt broke while passing on HWY without any any damage. Many other (not necessarily HWY) reports of breaks and no damage.

It is thought that under the right set of circumstance even a non VVt break could cause damage, but that would not be the norm.

I had a TB break, I believed caused by a bad install of TB or water pump upon PURCHASE!. Complete upper engine failure on 2006 LX470.
Bent valves, the whole deal. Happened at 70mph, extremely loud. I expect it has to be the prefect storm/order of failed components for this type of damage.

The only real way to know is to do a compression test, if the damaged isn't obvious.

Last edited:
I had a TB break, I believed caused by a bad install of TB or water pump upon PURCHASE!. Complete upper engine failure on 2006 LX470.
Bent valves, the whole deal. Happened at 70mph, extremely loud. I expect it has to be the prefect storm/order of failed components for this type of damage.

The only real way to know is to do a compression test, if the damaged isn't obvious.

That makes one more case of a VVT engine being interference. (2006 LX470 is a VVT engine)

BTW: Belt needs to be on to do a compression test.

That makes one more case of a VVT engine being interference. (2006 LX470 is a VVT engine)

BTW: Belt needs to be on to do a compression test.
Yep, there is also potential for small(er) damages that are not as easy to be seen(even with a bore scope) that could lead to loss of power or hard idle. In my case it was VERY obvious what had happened.

I wonder what those circumstances would be. It seems like the reports of no damage on non-VVT are piling up. I haven't searched but I can't remember a credible report of non-VVT damage. Does anyone have a good credible report of non-VVT damage?

Circumstances would be a very hot & loose engine with weak valve springs. But it's not been confirmed to my knowledge, just supposition.

I too do not recall a creditable 1st hand report. But have read second hand reports like "my mechanic said" "The Dealer has told me they've seen a few"

Last edited:
The other reported circumstance would be if there was a bunch of carbon buildup on piston. Which yeah, any engine could be interference with enough carbon. I attached a pic of my lawnmower engine for reference. This thing was barely living and makin smoke clouds.
347AD100-55B5-4804-A652-8486BEDA1FD2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom