Something timing belt-ish failed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Follow the FSM to the letter. There's one thing (IIRC that's not in the FSM clearly) so often left out, it's these two tiny plastic pieces (shield. We had a report of one mud member leaving these out. A mouse got in belt area through the opening and took out the belt. Yes that's right Mickey took out a Cruiser!

Oh don't forget to protect your radiator

Hey 2001LC, Thanks for the reply and the tips! I have a 3/4" drive set but I will have to get a chain wrench. That is a great idea! I did the serpentine belt a bit ago so I can put that on the pulley to protect it. Great idea.

I do have a question about the timing. Since I have attempted to crank this thing over a million times with the timing belt disengaged, how do I get the cams back in correct time? The cams spin twice for every one crank turn so there is a chance I could put one or both cams out of time 180 degrees.

Few more tips:
Make sure to use correct FIPG on water inlet. It sets up fast so you must be ready and be done torque on within 3 minutes. Don't added coolant for at least two hours, I wait overnight.
050.JPG

I hold water inlet in vice with a rag to protect from bite marks. Add the FIPG 1282B sparingly in channel, then soap on O-ring and install.
054.JPG

Toque down within 3 minutes. (the phone time is wrong was just for photo shoot)
055.JPG

Backing up a bit here:
Timing Belt 06LC 194K 006.JPG

You can also use FIPG on block face where water pump gasket seat, if you find pitting. Just use to fill in pits very sparling, and bolt on pump w/gasket within 3 miniums.
Timing Belt 200K T-P-SLL.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Kurt @cruiseroutfit, I don't know if you or anyone has a source. But if you added a small tube of the 1282B FIPG to your kits, they'd be the best kits in the country. So many balk at the high price of a full tube that they'll only use a small amount from.

It would make your kit the most cost effective out there.;)

I'll not use anything but the Toyota recommended FIPG 1282B. I've have never seen this stuff leak on one of my jobs.

I've fixed to many leaks from other shops install, I suspect use something different.:worms:

Hey Kurt @cruiseroutfit, I don't know if you or anyone has a source. But if you added a small tube of the 1282B FIPG to your kits, they'd be the best kits in the country. So many balk at the high price of a full tube that they'll only use a small amount from.

Oh we have a source. We stock cases of AISIN & OE Toyota (same thing ;)) FIPG for various applications, black, grey, red/orange. I've never stock the 1282 in anything but OE but I'll look into an AISIN offering. For example the AISIN black FIPG is ~$12/tube.

We stock the cam & crank seals, water outlet gaskets, all the thermostat equipment. I'd like to revisit out 2UZ timing belt application and include some/all of those items as we have done on our diesel kits.

If the Aisin black $12 is 1282 equivalent I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry, that was just an example... my point was that we can get the FIPG in an AISIN tube for much less than the equivilent Toyota tube. The AISIN black is a 103, we have the 1281, Weatherstrip, Super Contact Cement & thread lockers too.

Sorry, that was just an example... my point was that we can get the FIPG in an AISIN tube for much less than the equivilent Toyota tube. The AISIN black is a 103, we have the 1281, Weatherstrip, Super Contact Cement & thread lockers too.
Thanks for clarifying.

It would make your kit the most cost effective out there.;)

I'll not use anything but the Toyota recommended FIPG 1282B. I've have never seen this stuff leak on one of my jobs.

I've fixed to many leaks from other shops install, I suspect use something different.:worms:

Couldn't agree more!! The 1282B is application specific for water pumps, and at $60 a tube just to use a smear of it causes me some heartburn. I sure wish Toyota would provide a small 1 use tube for WP installs.

The 1282B is made by ThreeBond possibly proprietary to Toyota. I've spent considerable time researching TDS & MSDS online to try and cross reference the ThreeBond equivalent here in the US, but I have not found anything yet.

FWIW here is the most relevant cross reference I've found:

Toyota FPIG CR TTT006010.jpg

Nice work as usual Andrew.;)

Can you imagine the marketing benefit to a kit with 1oz tube of 1282.

I claim a patent on that one!

Couldn't agree more!! The 1282B is application specific for water pumps, and at $60 a tube just to use a smear of it causes me some heartburn. I sure wish Toyota would provide a small 1 use tube for WP installs.

The 1282B is made by ThreeBond possibly proprietary to Toyota. I've spent considerable time researching TDS & MSDS online to try and cross reference the ThreeBond equivalent here in the US, but I have not found anything yet.

FWIW here is the most relevant cross reference I've found:

View attachment 1629671

Great info. Interesting that chart show s the 103 & 1281 as a ThreeBond as well but AISIN offers those under the same part numbers. The OE Toyota 103 & 1281 boxes say "Supplied by ThreeBond International" and the AISIN boxes say "Distributed by AISIN" so suspect ThreeBond is the manufacture for the US market and either supplies it to AISIN or AISIN makes it for other market? The OEM Toyota ThreeBond 1281 actually says "Made in Japan" where the OME Toyota ThreeBond 103 is not indicate, the 103 AISIN shows as "Made in the USA, perhaps by ThreeBond :D. Interesting... most likely several sources for the same product.

Now, we have a 1184 "OEM Formula" offered by AISIN that is designed for Low & High Temp Coolant, it's listed as a "Semi-Drying Liquid Gasket". I've not found an OEM Toyota cross-reference but I'v not looked deep either. It's made in Thailand.

Great info. Interesting that chart show s the 103 & 1281 as a ThreeBond as well but AISIN offers those under the same part numbers. The OE Toyota 103 & 1281 boxes say "Supplied by ThreeBond International" and the AISIN boxes say "Distributed by AISIN" so suspect ThreeBond is the manufacture for the US market and either supplies it to AISIN or AISIN makes it for other market? The OEM Toyota ThreeBond 1281 actually says "Made in Japan" where the OME Toyota ThreeBond 103 is not indicate, the 103 AISIN shows as "Made in the USA, perhaps by ThreeBond :D. Interesting... most likely several sources for the same product.

Now, we have a 1184 "OEM Formula" offered by AISIN that is designed for Low & High Temp Coolant, it's listed as a "Semi-Drying Liquid Gasket". I've not found an OEM Toyota cross-reference but I'v not looked deep either. It's made in Thailand.

Sorry to get this thread off track. The 1184 used to be available through powersports dealers, but no longer. Not sure how effective it would work on 2uzfe waterpump application.

Th 1282B might be availble through Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki as all three call out use of Threebond for reference services.

I have a little 1184 left from trying to keep my Ducati from leaving oil spots on the garage floor.

A7135615-C526-45DF-9D90-A037C69703B7.jpeg

I have this comparison in my maintenance notes from when I was preparing to do timing belt/water pump. The thing that stood out and prevented me from taking the advice of the parts counter to use the $12 tube was the shear tensile strength for aluminum. The cheaper stuff works well on iron/steel, but is noticeably weaker on aluminum.

1282b.png

5319:0

Last edited:
Ok. I ordered a FSM and a chain wrench today and I am going to call Kurt and order a T-Belt kit Monday. (I assume you are closed tomorrow...)
Here we go.
Thanks for all the help so far and stay tuned. I may need more!!

I have heard of this long time ago but was not certain if it's true, there must be some truth to it I'm sure. Just so you know Aisin makes a lot of parts for Toyota and they are the same part but different part number and box. When you buy the Aisin W/P and compare it to a Toyota W/P the only thing that is missing is the Toyota trade mark (TEQ) on the housing on so many occasion you can see that they ground off the TEQ markings off the Aisin water pump and leave just the AISIN stamp. Please someone tell me I'm lying.

You aren't lying. Toyota owns 30% of Aisin.

Have you got a place to work on it? If you get it dialed, come up to Blaine and do mine!

I have heard of this long time ago but was not certain if it's true, there must be some truth to it I'm sure. Just so you know Aisin makes a lot of parts for Toyota and they are the same part but different part number and box. When you buy the Aisin W/P and compare it to a Toyota W/P the only thing that is missing is the Toyota trade mark (TEQ) on the housing on so many occasion you can see that they ground off the TEQ markings off the Aisin water pump and leave just the AISIN stamp. Please someone tell me I'm lying.

100% true. On occasion they skip the grinding and leave the TEQ logo on the AISIN boxed parts too. AISIN and their spinoff ADVICS are Keiretsu companies of TMC Japan

This may not be current but gives you the most

IMG_3743.PNG

Here is a great example, AISIN 3FE water pumps:
3FE Water Pump Differences

Having paid for a Toyota fan bracket, and then comparing it to the Aisin part, they appear identical - casting marks included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom