*SOLVED* RTH: Powertrax Locker install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Helping out QBALL to install the Powertrax no-slip locker in the rear of his LX. Everything seemed straight forward, even though instructions SUCK MAJOR ASS, but now we find ourselves with a nearly 1/4" gap between the gears. According to the spacer block it should be closer to 1/8". The instructions say to remove the thrust washers and nothing about reusing them. The washers themselves are thick. From what we can see they would be too thick to use both. Maybe one but if we do one, which side? Or hell, maybe the gap should be this wide? HELP!
image.jpg

Let me know if you need thinner thrust washers. I just installed my Aussie and had a huge washer fiasco so I bought 2 of each size from SOR. If you look at their website you will be able to see the thickness of the 2 sets I have left.("B" and "C" left, I used "A"). These washers are few and far between according to cdan but SOR has a ton.
Paul

Is SOR spectra off-road? Do you have the links for the washers?

Thanks!

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

Specter Off Road. When I needed thrust washers I walked in and told them I needed side gear thrust washers. The guy behind the counter looked them up for me and pulled all the sizes I needed. If I remember correctly they were around $5-$7 each.

If i remember correct the gap in the Aussie that's between the gears is like .150-.170ish. It looks to me that if you put some thin shims in you would be w in Aussie specs but I'm not sure how different power trax is from Aussie.

No worries. I enjoyed it. Was a bummer to have to spend 7 hours ultimately to just change the diff fluid...that you JUST changed. But oh well. ;)

Thanks again joey for all your help. We may have lost the battle but we have not lost the war!

From the look of it I simply need some thinner washers.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app
ve

Thanks! Think I will need A washers also

Specter Off Road. When I needed thrust washers I walked in and told them I needed side gear thrust washers. The guy behind the counter looked them up for me and pulled all the sizes I needed. If I remember correctly they were around $5-$7 each.

Awesome! Thanks!

No worries. I enjoyed it. Was a bummer to have to spend 7 hours ultimately to just change the diff fluid...that you JUST changed. But oh well. ;)ve

Thanks again Joey! Like you said that was a very thorough rear diff inspection, hahahaha

If you help with your install or anything don't hesitate to call me.

Last edited:
Got some time tonight and went to measure the gap/tolerance measuring device came with the locker. The narrow sid(correct gap) is 3.45mm, the wide side(incorrect gap) is 4.35mm. When the locker was in place there was about 1mm of gap on top of the wide side. This gives me about 1.5 to 2mm max correction needed from thrust washers. But looks like the narrowest washer is 1.5mm which will make the gap too small. Will call SOR and Richmond gear tomorrow.....should of just bought an Aussie like everyone else! Doh!

Before you start ordering thrust washers...you may have the incorrect locker.

Call Richmond Gear, 864-843-9275, and talk to Johnny at ext. 3880. He's their tech expert. Have the pieces of your locker in front of you and clean enough to see the individual part numbers. Have him confirm that each individual part is correct for your application. Mine were not. Not even close.

Short version of my story. I bought a Powertrax for one of my 40's. A friend and I attempted to install it on a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago. Our experience was similar to yours. Gap was too wide without spacers and too narrow with. Richmond Gear was closed, so no help there. On Monday I took the truck to our local Cruiser shop and their ace tech attempted to do the installation, also without success. He said it appeared to him that I had the wrong locker. He thought it was too small, probably intended for a Taco or possibly a mini truck. Called Richmond Gear the following day, spoke with Johnny, who went over the numbers for each individual component. He said he was sorry to inform me that the locker I had was for a GMC truck, not a Toyota. They're almost identical in appearance, but the dimensions and tolerances are different. Either the GMC locker was placed in the wrong box to begin with, or the two lockers were switched prior to shipping. And for the 40 diff at least, you do not use thrust washers for a Powertrax installation. I returned the locker and they drop shipped a replacement, which arrived last week. Haven't tried to put it in, yet. Probably 10+ hours wasted so far.

Before you start ordering thrust washers...you may have the incorrect locker.

Call Richmond Gear, 864-843-9275, and talk to Johnny at ext. 3880. He's their tech expert. Have the pieces of your locker in front of you and clean enough to see the individual part numbers. Have him confirm that each individual part is correct for your application. Mine were not. Not even close.

Short version of my story. I bought a Powertrax for one of my 40's. A friend and I attempted to install it on a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago. Our experience was similar to yours. Gap was too wide without spacers and too narrow with. Richmond Gear was closed, so no help there. On Monday I took the truck to our local Cruiser shop and their ace tech attempted to do the installation, also without success. He said it appeared to him that I had the wrong locker. He thought it was too small, probably intended for a Taco or possibly a mini truck. Called Richmond Gear the following day, spoke with Johnny, who went over the numbers for each individual component. He said he was sorry to inform me that the locker I had was for a GMC truck, not a Toyota. They're almost identical in appearance, but the dimensions and tolerances are different. Either the GMC locker was placed in the wrong box to begin with, or the two lockers were switched prior to shipping. And for the 40 diff at least, you do not use thrust washers for a Powertrax installation. I returned the locker and they drop shipped a replacement, which arrived last week. Haven't tried to put it in, yet. Probably 10+ hours wasted so far.

Very possible, but few things turned me off from Powertrax:
1. If they pack the wrong parts then they aren't really focused on quality. Joey and i wasted lots of time and effort because of their mistake.
2. When I called richmond and they were not terribly friendly and helpful. Yes I was asked to check all the part numbers but at first I was interrogated as if I did something wrong. No sorry we wasted all your time and effort because of THEIR mistake.
3. they don't use thrust washers, not sure if I'm comfortable with that. If factory side gears had the washers then I prefer to have the washers also.

Powertrax RETURNED and Aussie ORDERED! I've heard nothing but good things about their lockers and customer service. Whom ever is thinking about Powertrax like I did do yourself a favor and order an Aussie and be happy.

Last edited:
I have the power-traxx no-slip locker in the rear diff and an aussie in the front diff. I bought these lockers at different times and no logic as to one brand here or there. My friend does all the setup work on locker and R&P.. I'm just the glorified helper on that stuff. I don't recall having any issues but its certainly some very close tolerances on the install. I think you'll be fine with the aussie.....

I realize it isn't the same beast, but the Spartan also claims to not need the thrust washers in their locker. I had 3 other mudders with me when we installed it, and it made sounds afterward that sounded like the birthing of the universe. Wasn't sure that sounded or felt just right, but their instructions say it'll make lots of noise when first installed. Completely ruined the rear 3rd. For me, I'll either get an Aussie next go-round, or or will leave it unlocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom