Solar Panel Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got around to mounting the solar panel on the 80. Used stainless steel drawer slides to fit it inbetween two yakima bars. Spaced with 4 old rear sway bar bushings so it can flex a bit if needed :hillbilly:

It tucks nicely under the roof box, though I haven't permanently wired it yet. Probably wont, just plug in when ever needed.

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

X2 on the drawer slide bearings. Not made for environmental usage, just indoors. Replace them with a set of skateboard bearings ;)

The bearings should last for a while. Mine made it on the front of the rack to AK and back to central coast CA a year ago. The panel sits in the open mode all day and gets closed up when I drive. And I can remove the panel an place in the sun if I park in the shade. Made and extension cord that just plugs in.

very nice! i would like to achieve this on my roof rack as well!

Do you think the ball bearings will hold up? I wonder if a poly urithane slide could be made?

X2 on the drawer slide bearings. Not made for environmental usage, just indoors. Replace them with a set of skateboard bearings ;)

Should be just fine (I hope). All the parts are 304 stainless (the main reason I chose this particular model, so I hope it is spec'd for at least some harsher environments). Probably won't hold up forever but I should get at least a few years out of it. Here's the specs on the product.
screen-shot-2014-07-08-at-9-22-13-am-png.915148

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 9.22.13 AM.png

put a bunch of heavy grease on the bearings and it likely won't be an issue for quite some time

Why did you put it on sliders?

The whole roof will soon be full. RTT on one side, Thule Case on the other. I figure this way its easier to deploy rather than keeping in with all the gear and hauling out when needed. And as an added bonus being stored under the roof box should protect it from gravel/debris when driving around.

I've thought about the bearing sliders too, as they would be the quickest and smoothest way to do a pull out. BUT trust me, fine dust will be attached like a magnet to the grease that comes preloaded on those slides. Might be worth a shot just to see what happens. If they do gum up, you could probably spray some degreaser on them and hose it out, repeatedly. As long as they won't rust, it really doesn't matter how 'smooth' they roll.

The other idea I had, was using PTFE to make slides, but the problem is you need a double slide system to get the panel clear of the rack.

Post how it holds up!

Finally got around to mounting the solar panel on the 80. Used stainless steel drawer slides to fit it inbetween two yakima bars. Spaced with 4 old rear sway bar bushings so it can flex a bit if needed :hillbilly:

It tucks nicely under the roof box, though I haven't permanently wired it yet. Probably wont, just plug in when ever needed.

• Drawer slides ~$30:
  • Solar Panel ~$85:
  • Replacement new bushings for rear sway bar: ~$10.
  • Misc hardware, $5.
Looks likve very effective system.. I would love to get similar one if it is effective.. Can you share true review about it?

I won't be able to give a real review for about 6 months :) Truck is currently in a warehouse in LA awaiting shipment to Valparaiso, Chile. Once I pick it up it should get a solid workout :)

COAX.. nice install, take advantage of unused space.. How will be hooked up on the inside??

That is an awesome idea with the slide mount. Should work great with a RTT.

COAX.. nice install, take advantage of unused space.. How will be hooked up on the inside??

That is an awesome idea with the slide mount. Should work great with a RTT.

Thanks for the comments. The charge controller is in the engine bay next to/above the brake booster. Just has a 4" pigtail on it with quick connects, so I can pop the hood real quick and plug it in. Never got enough time to wire it permanently. The charge controller output is wired into a fuse block on the firewall as well, which is hooked to the house battery. So I can leave the solar panel out and run the fridge and have it completely separate from the starting battery.

And yep so far at least (minimal useage) its nice and out of the way and allows me to have the roof full of junk too :)

COAX... nice setup. I like that it is wired to be flexible.. thanks

@coax - how is this system holding up? Anything you would do differently?

@coax - how is this system holding up? Anything you would do differently?

I no longer have the panel on the roof so I can’t do a 6 year review. :). Generally though the system worked great for the 6 months I was in South America. Got almost daily use. Only two things I’d slightly change.

1. Remove all the grease; it’s stainless so no grease needed and all it did was get dirty.
2. The mounts / bushings slowly rotated downwards and would bind the slides; a quick fix with the Yakima bolts holing them on but slightly annoying.

Otherwise worked great and happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom