Dometic Center Console 11L + Dashboard Solar (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sharing a few photos of my dometic center console build. I paired it with the 2nd battery tray under the hood, paired with a Costco group 27 marine battery (88 amp hours?). The solar is a flexible 55w panel that just barely overhangs the dashboard. In the summer I've been getting about 2.2amps during peak hours. The console sits just a little high, but is a welcome addition. I occasionally plug it in to a trickle charge once a week to keep it topped off. Currently the 2nd battery is completely isolated from the starter battery. The charge controller is fairly out of the way on the driver grab handle.

PXL_20230504_154720378.jpg

PXL_20230528_231711097.jpg

PXL_20230517_015331264.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about the cascadia system, but I got my 55w panel and charge controller for $220. It's a little harder to steal, and the dashboard gives your panel some tilt! I may add some hood solar eventually, my charge controller could accommodate the extra 90w or so.

Look into the cascade designs solar panel
View attachment 3415372

100 watt panel…paired to 2 agm batteries and a solar controller…seen 300 watts on decent days…used to maintain an Engel fridge freezer…24/7
The 100watt panel puts out 300watts, or do I misunderstand?

misunderstand…
panel is rated for 100 watts…over course of the day can generate 300 watts
IMG_7905.png

Last edited:
Look into the cascade designs solar panel
View attachment 3415372

100 watt panel…paired to 2 agm batteries and a solar controller…seen 300 watts on decent days…used to maintain an Engel fridge freezer…24/7
I've been thinking about this too. I have space on the roof rack dedicated to it, but this seems elegant.

We have same Setup.
Have Costco (Massimo Brand) Fridge in Rear on Drawers - Heavy Sucker Loaded
Have same Dometic Center Console.
Have Secondary Batteries with Blue Sea Isolater. Intention is to wire 2nd Battery to run All Accessories including Winch.

Plan is to Add Solar on Roof with (2) 100watt Panels with Kit from Amazon which includes Controller (Mount in Rear Qtr Panel) and have it Power Second Battery. Would like to find away to Deploy them instead of Permanently Mounting them so Roof Rack can be Used. I haul a Canoe Occasionally.

May add 3rd Battery in front of Fridge in Back if Needed as I have one.

We have same Setup.
Have Costco (Massimo Brand) Fridge in Rear on Drawers - Heavy Sucker Loaded
Have same Dometic Center Console.
Have Secondary Batteries with Blue Sea Isolater. Intention is to wire 2nd Battery to run All Accessories including Winch.

Plan is to Add Solar on Roof with (2) 100watt Panels with Kit from Amazon which includes Controller (Mount in Rear Qtr Panel) and have it Power Second Battery. Would like to find away to Deploy them instead of Permanently Mounting them so Roof Rack can be Used. I haul a Canoe Occasionally.

May add 3rd Battery in front of Fridge in Back if Needed as I have one.
If you haven't bought a solar charge controller already I highly recommend Victron equipment. Run the PV panels in series to keep voltage higher (~40vdc with two 100w panels) and amperage low (less than ~5A). The the controller can then make the most of the output (~16A @ 12v using MPPT) even in low sun conditions. These are on sale right now for $130 (100/30 unit) which is a great deal.

A permanent mount will be more durable than removable. I bet there's a way to have the panels flush with the bottom of the rack so that the canoe can ride above them. They will be covered when the canoe is riding along but you'll be getting a charge from the running engine anyway. Once the canoe is unloaded then you are back in business.

If you haven't bought a solar charge controller already I highly recommend Victron equipment. Run the PV panels in series to keep voltage higher (~40vdc with two 100w panels) and amperage low (less than ~5A). The the controller can then make the most of the output (~16A @ 12v using MPPT) even in low sun conditions. These are on sale right now for $130 (100/30 unit) which is a great deal.

A permanent mount will be more durable than removable. I bet there's a way to have the panels flush with the bottom of the rack so that the canoe can ride above them. They will be covered when the canoe is riding along but you'll be getting a charge from the running engine anyway. Once the canoe is unloaded then you are back in business.
Am I picking up what your throwing Down?

Which Panels you Recommend?

1705702516023.png

Am I picking up what your throwing Down?

Which Panels you Recommend?

View attachment 3537009
Yes that's the one. For panels it doesn't matter a ton but I used these on my truck camper and they have worked well.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Monocrystalline-High-Efficiency-Off-Grid-Charge/dp/B09D74LL9T?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=AV16HZDTPF1LD&th=1

Throw in one one of these to monitor the amount of current coming and going from the battery. The charge controller will connect to it via bluetooth and adjust its output accordingly.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Victron-SmartShunt-500AMP-Bluetooth-Battery/dp/B0856PHNLX/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=490295278943&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033178&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=91455084910209279&hvtargid=kwd-1125734044075&hydadcr=9238_10188498&keywords=victron%2B500a%2Bsmart%2Bshunt&qid=1705703492&sr=8-3&th=1

Charge Controller Enroute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom