SOA a La tica (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi there wehn i have started to restore my FJ55,while MY "animal" is on the piant shop, i decided to go SOA . (to much junk on my mother 's back yard) i have started modfying 1987 an fj60 front axle hoousing to fit on a FJ55 [/ATTACH]
i cut and turn for another project that didn't start (have to sell my HJ60), all i did it was just cut a section of the longer side, the section was 28mm long out from the original mesure, and relocate the the spring perch. after i welded back in position i have me some holes around the weld to make some spot welding to add more strengh to the first welding
View attachment 189464

Last edited:
well, the idea to have the shock towers to high in order to keep the same shocks , well i just an idea, is it better to have longer shocks or have the stock ones ,,,, any sugestions, will be welcome

you will have more potential travel after the lift so you dont want the shocks to be the limiter.

ahh ok , Rhino thanks ,, you right ,, i will look for new shocks , and cut the shock towers , but i have to deal with the stering bars to, by the way, do you know a good option to make the stering bars, thick wall or solid steel bar

thanks

there is much reading and pics on this site dealing with crossover steering and different means to get there, i suggest you take a look and decide how you want to do it.

there is much reading and pics on this site dealing with crossover steering and different means to get there, i suggest you take a look and decide how you want to do it.
Howdy! I would recommend that you go ahead and do a "high steer" setup while you are still in the fab stages. After 20 years of SOA on my Piggy, I finally went with the setup from Luke Porter at 4X4 Labs. I'm very happy with the results. Very beefy, and well protected. John

yes, high steer rocks, i will try to see if posible to get high steer here, yesterday on lunch at work i went to get 30x20 sanvick bar for steering bars, i hope that they last me at least 200 years on my pig, well whats left are the pitman and other little things for the steering

I recommend you run the shocks as long as you can-you will need to raise the upper mount and lower the axle mount. That gives the maximum articulation to the front axle.

Also, I would not weld the axle mount on, untill it's all bolted together in the truck. If the rotational position of the shock mount is off even a little, it's hard to get the shocks to fit.

Ranch has a huge selection of shock lengths, and work well for projects like yours.

One other thing--do the high steer. I used 4x4 Labs system, and can highly recommend the design and workmanship.

Last edited:
after a little pause (too much work) came back to my project. Due to the lack of HI-Steer I have decided to take momentary mesures View attachment 208980
the welding look not but actually it has been nicely done with 6 rod of 6010 an 3 rod of 7018, will be test on the trail soon (i Hope)
View attachment 208981

Last edited:
You need high steer. I doubt that welded steering arm will last long. How about sending a set of arms to "W" in Oregon-he can bend the stock arms into a hi-steer position. That's the cheapest high steer going.

Andrew, how do i contact "W" in Oregon can you give me the contact information:) , I tough that my welding metod works, but if you have the experience on this welded steering arms wont work fine , i talk with a friend here in Costa Rica that does SOA and other suspetion he maid some of hte rig that he lift with the welded arm and toldme that is a 50% change , so better to find another solution

Tratamos solder "steering arms" como estuviste; pero, rotaron muy rapido. How did I do?

You need high steer. I doubt that welded steering arm will last long. How about sending a set of arms to "W" in Oregon-he can bend the stock arms into a hi-steer position. That's the cheapest high steer going.
Howdy! I was VERY lucky with my welded double steering arm. It lasted 20 years, done by a professional fabricator at the time. Nothing else was available. BUT, it failed suddenly, with absolutely NO warning. Fortunately, I was in a parking lot when fell off. I had just come off the freeway at 75+ mph! I highly recommend getting properly fabbriated steering arms for any setup. Bending them may be a workable method, but I think it will have negative effects on the steering geometry as the distance from the TRE to the centerline of the steering axis. I think it would make it a bit harder to steer and it would be very quick reacting, like a sports car. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom