So Kevin, about those windows... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow Kevin it took me several hours of reading and rereading this entire thread to belive what I was reading lol. But these are simply amazing!!! I love the concept and the development you have put into them. I do have a couple of quesitons....

I noticed in your "original design" that the hinges were on the exterior and seemed very large and intrusive to the exterior of the window. But in your latest version with the video I cant see the hinges on the exterior of th window at all. Did you modify the hinge and the seal so they could sit on the interior of the window?

Also I couldnt see but the new mechanical release switch in the side marker light is now a turn knob vs a push button. What was the reason for the switch?

I need to crap several thousand dollars so I can get your tailgate storage, fender storage systems and now these. DAMN YOU MAN!!! :bounce: :bounce2:

Well I no longer have a 60, and I don't have a 100, so all I can do is dream. Maybe you can adapt a 60 setup for the 40 then my problem is solved. I have the kick vent windows already, so tip up sides would be sweet! I would have to lose the jump seats, but I never use them anyway.

Oh, and since 40 glass isn't curved, you could actually have it drilled for latches prior to tempering. :)
A big part of the design consideration was to make it so that I could take all the same components from platform to platform, 40s are not out of the question, but the cargo area is so short and you have a portion of roll bar in the way, and you don't camp in the back of them.... So I hardly see the point. :p

The glass being curved or not is not that much of an issue with the system I have now since I can accommodate the factory glass so well.

Yeah these are becoming a reality, soon to be in SC I hope I hope I hope. :) They are going to make reaching in to get my rifle soooooooo much easier. :clap::clap::clap:
I thought the rifle was going under the seat?
You will be hard pressed to fit more then one long gun through under the seat, I think two would fit but that will be tight, so I guess #3 could go inside the back windows. ;p

What about a sliding window?
What about them? This is a one or the other kind of thing. Vent windows and sliders are great for dogs driving around in the truck, these are for cargo access and for camping ventilation (you can leave them open in the rain and not get wet, etc) A big holdup with the 80 windows has been that I have been trying to accommodate the split glass (not as a slider) but at this point I think I will just make them to work with the solid glass windows, especially since that is all you can get from Toyota now anyway. With how expensive these are the $140 or so for the new glass is not that bad in comparison.

Wow Kevin it took me several hours of reading and rereading this entire thread to believe what I was reading lol. But these are simply amazing!!! I love the concept and the development you have put into them. I do have a couple of quesitons....

I noticed in your "original design" that the hinges were on the exterior and seemed very large and intrusive to the exterior of the window. But in your latest version with the video I cant see the hinges on the exterior of th window at all. Did you modify the hinge and the seal so they could sit on the interior of the window?

Also I couldnt see but the new mechanical release switch in the side marker light is now a turn knob vs a push button. What was the reason for the switch?

I need to crap several thousand dollars so I can get your tailgate storage, fender storage systems and now these. DAMN YOU MAN!!! :bounce: :bounce2:
Hey Nick, basically what you are looking at is the development I've been working on. The first windows pictured were just that, the first windows. I just did what I could to make them work. The hinges stuck out much too far to be acceptable to me, I now custom make the hinges how I want them so that you can hardly see them, in fact they are the only exterior indication that anything is different at all, and they are hard to see at that.

I kept trying to make the push button work, but it is a prototype piece f hardware and the manufacture just can not get them to work right. On top of that, they are 3 times as expensive, stick out further, have durability issues and are not as reliable. :doh:
The turn knob that I am using now is lower profile, has less parts, is stronger and more reliable.

I have the first "real" set of windows back from the laser cutter now, I will be working on welding all the parts.
:cheers:
KR

Kevin, I don't think I saw this mentioned...

What about trail damage to the knob? In the unfortunate event that someone sideswipes a tree, 1) will it sheer off just the knob or will it take the quarter panel with it and 2) if the knob does get knocked off, will the window stay closed? That would be a bad time for it to pop open.

The knob only sticks out 1/4" further than the plastic lens of the marker light would, when (when, not if :p) it gets hit on rocks or trees it will not shear off, but by nature of it's shape it's a rub rail, so it really can't catch enough force to shear it off.
As for the window opening, it will not be able to as long as the knob is locked, my recommendation is going to be that you leave the knob locked unless you are actively in and out of the window at camp. But, if you did bump the nob and get it to turn (which would be up and down motion, not forward) enough to unlatch the cable, the window will still not pop, I have them set up so that the gas shock is neutral when the windows are closed, you have to grab the edge of the glass and pull it out manually to get it to swing open.
I drove around for a day on trails with both the windows unlatched just to make sure of that.

KR

Rifle storage

You sir are absolutly right the 45-70 Lever action is going under the seat. However the Sniper rifle is way to long with the 26 inch barrel and way to wide with the tactical 4X to 14X lazer sight and bipod. So it's going in a rack in the back!!!:)

Ok, I have the first real hatch window set done:

IMG_0027.jpg

That's the whole of it, here are the parts for one side:

IMG_0020.jpg

It's all put together since that is the easiest way to show what goes where, I plan to send them out like you see in the pictures here.
Some details:

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

And the parts list:

HatchPartsList.jpg

As I talked about in the seat box thread, I will be doing this for all my stuff now:

This is what I'm going to do for all the new stuff (and old stuff too as I get around to it) So everyone can see where the funds actually go.

I have the labor marked down as what I think they should end up taking me to make once I have some practice and figure out the best order, not what it is actually taking me to make right now. :p
I also have the time at my higher rate of $55 since it needs to (hopefully) cover all the overhead and the things that are not counted in the parts breakdown.
If I'm just doing normal mechanical stuff and not using a lot of shop resources I go as low as $35.

Any business majors are welcome to tell me how stupid my breakdown is and how little chance it stands of making a profit. :p
But now you know where the funds go at least.

And, that's what they have to be, $1150 for a silly set of flip up windows.

With how much they cost me to make I can only afford to make one at a time. If anyone wants to step up to the plate I have a set ready, but what I would like to do is sell this one to someone local enough to come by so I can install them. That will help me since I can do a complete install from start to finish and document it for instruction. It would help you since you would get a free installation (the job would otherwise take a least 4 hours)

If I can not turn up anyone close enough to come by for an install I will piece together the best instructions I can from my truck and send this set out to whoever has the stomach for it. :p

KR

Last edited:
So basically you remove the OEM glass and trim and your setup goes in and the glass glues to your from.. And 1150 is for both sides full set up ready to roll?

Yup, there are a handful of steps but that is the gist of it.

The glass does not get glued in though, it slips under the top clips and then gets clamped to the backer plate with the edge trim. I am going to advise a line of RTV on the edge just to make sure no moisture can wick between the glass and backer plate but the glass can easily be removed from the plate.

It's almost a completely reversible mod, there are two small holes that need to be drilled on the inside under the window for the actuator cable to go through, but they could be easily plugged down the line if needed.

The parts sheet shows the breakdown for a hatch set, 2 windows.

Instilation

I'm too far away for the instalment (and ther is no way in hades the boss would let me off for a week for the trip)and willing to wait for another one, but otherwise I say sold. I bet I can get the install time down too, No headliner or interior do dad's to worry with and with the fender hatch's(I still think that is your greatest product ever) complete access is real easy. But I do agree it would be better if you had a local purchase to document the install, then I will have nice pretty pictures and video to help with my install. :) PS cause sometimes I can break an anvil with a rubber ball. Don't tell anyone I said that , I think I've got em fooled!!!! All kidding aside I will take it and try if no one else steps up to the plate. As everything else I've gotten from you has been almost too easy to install, Doc:)

Worst-comes-to-worst I'll just have to do a "fake" instal on our truck, take everything out, reinstall at least one of the OE quarter windows (really quite easy) and go from there for pics and tips.
It would just be nice to start with a new instal, not to mention I have only installed these parts on three bodies and there are a lot of discrepancies in Toyota body work, so it's nice to check the fit as many times as possible.

Funny how we all have been watching and wanting these for years and now it's time to cut bait and everyone is just watching. I'll buy a set but you really need a local on the first one.
Jeff

Seats solved sort of

I went up on the 60 section and posted an idea on the seats. A fellow from Europe had just what I am looking for a low back seat with spring assist (like air ride but mechanical) and guess what it's toyota orginal equipement was installed in FJ-60's in europe the VX model. The difference in height is designed into the seat to allow mounting on the orginal toyota pillars and that's going to be within 1/2 inch of the height of the box arrangement. Now just to find a source of a Vx seat with the assist here or in Canada. As far as the window wait a little while Kevin and if no takers close by send it to me. I'll give it a try but as sparce as interior fittings (no headliner) my rig would not be a good choice for install pic's but you know I would do it anyway. Just let me know. :) It's not like you don't have my addy, phone number etc etc etc.

Funny how we all have been watching and wanting these for years and now it's time to cut bait and everyone is just watching. I'll buy a set but you really need a local on the first one.
Jeff

Were not just watching, ill take it right now but I understand the reason he wants to get a local install and documentation. Having used several of his products I can truly say they went in with no problem and just as the pic's displayed, the crux of the issue he needs the pic''s for the rest of us dummies. :)

Not really, there are a couple things to take into account:
I only posted that info a day or two ago.
There are not many cruiser heads that close to me, best chance would be to catch someone on a trip up or down the I5.
And most of all, they are crazy expensive.

I absolutely love them on our truck, as does my wife, and anyone else who has camped with us, but I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money out of the blue. I don't think anyone will regret it, but it's one of those things that you will have to use for awhile and forget how much you spent on it originally. :p

They are probably the favorite thing we have done to the truck, and when compared to something like say, the cost of a new ARB bumper, I guess the expense is not that bad.
Still hurts though.

KR

I went up on the 60 section and posted an idea on the seats. A fellow from Europe had just what I am looking for a low back seat with spring assist (like air ride but mechanical) and guess what it's toyota orginal equipement was installed in FJ-60's in europe the VX model. The difference in height is designed into the seat to allow mounting on the orginal toyota pillars and that's going to be within 1/2 inch of the height of the box arrangement. Now just to find a source of a Vx seat with the assist here or in Canada. As far as the window wait a little while Kevin and if no takers close by send it to me. I'll give it a try but as sparce as interior fittings (no headliner) my rig would not be a good choice for install pic's but you know I would do it anyway. Just let me know. :) It's not like you don't have my addy, phone number etc etc etc.

Are you posting in the wrong thread again Doc?
This one is about the windows, I might have to delete your post so it doesn't confuse anyone. :p

Not really, there are a couple things to take into account:
I only posted that info a day or two ago.
There are not many cruiser heads that close to me, best chance would be to catch someone on a trip up or down the I5.
And most of all, they are crazy expensive.

I absolutely love them on our truck, as does my wife, and anyone else who has camped with us, but I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money out of the blue. I don't think anyone will regret it, but it's one of those things that you will have to use for awhile and forget how much you spent on it originally. :p

They are probably the favorite thing we have done to the truck, and when compared to something like say, the cost of a new ARB bumper, I guess the expense is not that bad.
Still hurts though.

KR

This is my case.

I know I want these but now I'm trying to determine whether its more important then the other things I need to do to the 60. I have the side panels and although I rarely use them, I love them because maybe I don't have to use them. Everything is stored. I have the tailgate and that was the best money I think I've spent so far. So much gets stored and I don't have the fear of bending the tailgate anymore. So for me I am drawn to this because of the camping thing. But for sheer usefulness I think the front box is the winner for me for now I am looking to pull the trigger on that first. Of course if I know I am going to NoCal soon I may switch it over and make a detour to you ;)

Are you posting in the wrong thread again Doc?
This one is about the windows, I might have to delete your post so it doesn't confuse anyone. :p

Hey I ended up on the windows didn't I.:p My mind and mouth wanders but I did end up where I wanted to be. ;)

I agree the tailgate storage is probably the best bang for your buck of just about anything I have added to my 60. I have the side panels too and wouldn't do without either add on. The windows will be the same way. Hey it's only money.

And to add, for those that haven't seen Kevin's products...the storage panels and tailgate storage...some of the best, most meticulous craftsmanship I have seen. Exceptional quality! I'm sure the windows are the same and can't wait to get a set. Honestly, I thought they would end up significantly more money.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom